Quantcast

The Fitness factor!

SoCalsurfer

Barney
Nov 1, 2004
Venice, CA
Do you have it or are you a slouch out on the trail :nope: What's your regiment?

Any gym freaks here?

I do gym about 3-4 times a week, tennis every now and then, beach volleyball every Sunday, and surf as often as possible. And did I forget biking...... Prolly bike trails twice weekly, and bike around town basically 7 days a week.

Amongst my friends I'm probably above my fitness level (36 years old) But then again, while at the gym, i'm a the bottom at the food chain. :p

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I am so outta shape right now. But I have started working on it.

Mon - Fighting practice. (Very aerobic)
Tue - Ride the trainer, strength training.
Wed - Ride the trainer
Thu - strength training, pell work (Sword practice against a padded pole)
Fri - Drink GUINNESS
Sat - Trail Ride or tournament fighting
Sun - Free day... rest, drink beer, whatever. Try to ride the trainer.

That's the plan I have started following. As I get in better shape I will add to it. My goal is to win a big fighting tournament 1 year from now as well as get back into decent shape so I don't have a heart attack at 50.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Damn, I wish I were able to keep up your schedules. Whatever, I'll be doing that come March, I just need to not become a fatass before then.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
I work out with my volleyball team. 3/4 leg stuff (increasing vert, setting platform to pass). last 1/4 is upper body (abs, arms, shoulders). if you're looking for a work out, let me know. i've put on 8" on my vert in about 6 months. (24"-34" I'm 5'6", so that's a lot on an 8' net). also, just go ride. that works your muscles the most. hell, strap weights to your ankles and ride...that should be funny watch.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
seventyohfive said:
Whoa...NHB?
NHB?

SCA. It's medieval re-creation. Yeah it's geeky, but the combat is full speed, full contact stick fighting. Not choreographed.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i play sports about twice a week on average: basketball, racquetball, badminton lately. i used to lift but wonky/unstable shoulders have cut down on that in the last year or two :( . net result: i'm slow on the trails :D but not excessively so.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I lift weights hard three or four days a week. That dips to two or three days a week during MTB season. My workouts go like this:

Day 1: Chest/triceps
Day 2: Back/biceps
Day 3: Shoulders
Day 4: Legs

I also throw abs in there twice a week. I hate working abs. :dead: On days I don't lift, I try to do some kind of cardio (spinning class, treadmill, trainer, etc)

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
after finals i will go back to my normal routine which is

-running four days a week
-yoga or pilates twice a week
-strength training 45-60 minute sessions 3 days a week
-riding whenever i can

hopefully i'm getting a trainer for graduation so i will be riding more. (even if it is inside)

i never go to the gym though. i don't like it there.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I was slacking but I think I am getting over that laziness.
I need to come up with a winter routine/I also need to find a gym (for cardio-I have weights at home)

currently I try to do:
one 2-3 hour Mtn ride
2 to 3 runs (I'm doing a 5K race - "turkey trot" on thanksgiving)
2 workouts (weights)
and Tues=volleyball

I like to race (especially Mtn bikes) - and that is my biggest motivator!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Ciaran said:
NHB?

SCA. It's medieval re-creation. Yeah it's geeky, but the combat is full speed, full contact stick fighting. Not choreographed.
Hehehehehe. We saw some of these geeks at the zoo - I was going to call the attention of my 2 & 3 year olds to the fighting, but then decided I didn't want to see grown men fighting with sticks. :think:

I try to teach them *not* to hit other people with sticks............ :D

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I think gyms suck. I don't do anything to stay in shape except occasionally get on my bike. Oh, and I play with my kids. That probably keeps me in the best shape.

As long as I can get up off the couch and keep the pace on a 30-mile ride, I don't really worry about it. Of course, the pace is usually pretty leisurely. :D

-S.S.-

iresmoke1

Monkey Flirt
Aug 1, 2001
Philadelphia
Monday morn spin class- upper body after work
Tues morn bike 20 mins. eliptical 20 mins. after work lower body.
weds morn upper body and spin class after work
Thurs morn spin class- lower body at night.
Fri morn cardio kick box
I try to do my 20 mins pilate abs tape every night when I get home. It helps me diffuse

Can't ride anymore b/c it's dark when I get home :(

Sat and Sun waitressing. SUCKS b/c it's the perfect weather to ride around the Art Museum. I miss that.
This week I totally messed up my schedule. I'm beat!
I didn't go this morning. I'm going to the gym after work.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've become a total slug, not that i had much of a routine anyway, aside from 2-3 rides a week. kids, work and darkness hours have taken away my life.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
hmm i just joined the Y so i could start working out. i know i won't carry too much of a regular regimen when i'm working often though. Construction is tiring enough. But getting older i recognize the benefits of strengthening muscles that don't get work from my other activities to prolong my physical health.

Louder

Chimp
Nov 17, 2004
St Catharines
I wish I could keep up with all of your routines, I am out of shape at the time but I am planning on making a somewhat daily routine, at the time I only walk alot to work and home from work I walk to school and home from school I also do pilates like 2 or 3 times a week.

BigHit-Maniac

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
I'm @ the gym ~ 2hrs a day, 6 days a week. Plus riding on the occasion as well ;)

The ladies definitely like what I've done with myself.

About 6% Body Fat, 5' 10" @ 173Lbs in the morning.

90% of my workout is weights, and 10% is cardio. I try to keep the cardio to a minimum because my metabolism is so darned high...

I can't stand being a "slump" on the couch...

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
BigHit-Maniac said:
I'm @ the gym ~ 2hrs a day, 6 days a week. Plus riding on the occasion as well ;)
Damn dude, what the heck are you doing for two hours a day, six days a week? That is a LOT of weight lifting. Your body needs rest/recovery time.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I Are Baboon said:
Damn dude, what the heck are you doing for two hours a day, six days a week? That is a LOT of weight lifting. Your body needs rest/recovery time.
No doubt. You should try sitting on the couch and drinking beer. :)

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Being an endomorph I tend to pack on muscle faster than most as well as equal amount of fat. I need to get a winter routine but I tend to avoid weights now a) I hate the freaking gym here (sorry it isn't a gym, it is a fitness centre, I really miss my underground gym back home)... Likely this will be my routine in the winter

(my routine is an old powerlifting one I used to use. 5sets, 5 reps with good rest period, last set to puking, heavy days are to failure, light days to pump, medium day somewhere in between)

monday - Bench : medium day, leg press : Heavy day, Deadlift: light day
Wednesday - Bench : heavy day, LegPRess: Light day, deadlift : medium day
Friday - Bench : Light day, legpress: Medium day, deadlift : Heavy day

Now to find a gym that could remotely facilitate this...with only one rack in the 'fitness centre' there isn't much room for this kind of thing. Might be buying an olympic weight set this year, I hope. Likely on each day 30- to 45min spinning on a trainer. And wed and thursday potentially skiing depending on work.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I guess this question kinda belongs in this thread. Have any of you ever hurt your back doing pull ups? I think I either hurt my back doing that or from sitting at a desk with HORRIBLE posture. It could be my lats, but the pain is mostly middle back, the muscle connected to/near the spine/back bone. Should I see a doctor? It also hurts to take deep breathes and yawning is f'n painful. Thanks!

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
reflux said:
I guess this question kinda belongs in this thread. Have any of you ever hurt your back doing pull ups? I think I either hurt my back doing that or from sitting at a desk with HORRIBLE posture. It could be my lats, but the pain is mostly middle back, the muscle connected to/near the spine/back bone. Should I see a doctor? It also hurts to take deep breathes and yawning is f'n painful. Thanks!
I do pullups every time I work my back (chinups, actually) and I have never hurt my back doing them. How long have you been hurting?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I Are Baboon said:
I do pullups every time I work my back (chinups, actually) and I have never hurt my back doing them. How long have you been hurting?
I felt something odd when I did a set last week, but the feeling went away within a day, but that was just a normal type of feeling. This pain came Tuesday morning and hasn't let up or gotten worse.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
reflux said:
I felt something odd when I did a set last week, but the feeling went away within a day, but that was just a normal type of feeling. This pain came Tuesday morning and hasn't let up or gotten worse.
I've pinched a nerve in my neck a few times doing pullups, but the pain goes away after a couple of days.

It never hurts to go to the doc, but he'll probably just give you a muscle relaxer prescription and tell you to take it easy.