Quantcast

The Franchi SPAS-15 may be no more - say hello to the AA-12: Full-Auto Shotgun

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
the big 40mm metal storm is too big to deploy as a troop weapon... be great as a turret mount or something. that 3gl thingy is nice, but it's not grunt proof. I've dropped 40mm HE rounds in dirt, had them roll around in muck. Even though they're slightly dinged or dirty, they'll load and fire.

Those metalstorm 40mm's look like they have to be clean to ensure good electrical contacts. The 12ga grenades look grunt proof. Also if you get in a pinch, you can always tape marbles to the primers and chuck them at your enemy.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
the big 40mm metal storm is too big to deploy as a troop weapon... be great as a turret mount or something. that 3gl thingy is nice, but it's not grunt proof. I've dropped 40mm HE rounds in dirt, had them roll around in muck. Even though they're slightly dinged or dirty, they'll load and fire.

Those metalstorm 40mm's look like they have to be clean to ensure good electrical contacts. The 12ga grenades look grunt proof. Also if you get in a pinch, you can always tape marbles to the primers and chuck them at your enemy.
They are developing various small arms including handguns, not just the 3GL. It doesn't work the same way as a regular firearm. Sounds more like you would exchange an empty barrel for loaded one:

Metal Storm’s fully loaded barrel tubes are essentially serviceable weapons, without the traditional ammunition feed or ejection system, breech opening or any other moving parts. Metal Storm barrels can be effectively grouped in multiple configurations to meet a diversity of applications.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
In other news, they test fired a big railgun at the end of last month:

http://www.onr.navy.mil/emrg/electromagnetic-railgun.asp

What is the electromagnetic railgrun? In a word, innovation. This weapons system will bypass the traditional use of chemical propellants or rocket motors for firing projectiles or missiles. Instead, electromagnetic railguns mounted on U.S. naval vessels will use electricity to launch projectiles farther and faster than any ship in today's fleet. When fully operational, the electromagnetic railgun (EMRG) will:

* Deliver hypervelocity projectiles at Mach 5 on impact in support of Marines and ground forces.
* Strike within 5 meters of a pinpointed target from distances in excess of 200 nautical miles.
* Maximize damage through kinetic energy from longer range while minimizing risks to crews and ships.

Because of its design, EMRG uses electrical energy to deliver a time-critical strike rather than the chemical agents in warheads and propellants that can place crews and ships in jeopardy. EMRG represents significant advances in Navy and Marine Corps capabilities, extends the range of Marine Corps combat capability and distributed operations, and improves safety aboard sea vessels. The electromagnetic railgun is just one more leap-ahead technology catapulted by scientists at the Office of Naval Research.

Media alert:
On Thursday, the Office of Naval Research made history with the muzzle velocity of its electromagnetic railgun at the Naval Surface Warfare Center Dahlgren Division. Fired at 2,520 meters per second, the shot generated 10.64mj of muzzle energy.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
but semi 40mm's have been around for years...
Seems like the metalstorm version would rain a whole bunch of rounds with more accuracy (since everything would be practically fired at once) but it wouldn't have the same usage as the AA12 and you'd have to swap barrel clusters or add a cartridge and/or magazine system...

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
While this thread is up, any firearms fanatics here? I've got a Beretta CX4 Storm in .40 cal, a Yugoslavian M70AB2 underfolder, and my most recent addition, a Rock River Arms AR-15 M4.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I just have the essentials. FN-FAL, Sig p220, S&W Model 66, Ruger 10/22... just the essentials.

Used to have quite a bit more, but I realized I should only own what I can carry in one trip out the door.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I have a Browning Hi Power, classic 9mm, a Sprigfield Armory 1911 A-1 and a Winchester 1300 Defender. I agree, you need no more then you can carry into the Kwikkie mart with you...

Working on an M4 build too, but kind of holding until I leave Cali.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Not much to speak of myself - but in response to the Metal Storm technology - it's definitely an effective turret-mount or mobile weapons platform, but in the field, I don't see it being practical as a troop deployed weapon. I know there are protos out there for hand-held Metal-Storm guns, but it would seem that reloading after every 2nd or 3rd trigger pull could be a bitch under fire with those things.

As for the semi-auto and full-auto 40 mike-mike, those things are pretty sweet. :biggrin:

The thing I noticed about the AA-12 is that it looks like they have perfected the operation of getting the rounds to feed and eject without jams in full-auto mode. Recoil doesn't appear to be too bad either. Not too bad altogether considering shotgun shells were never designed for rapid-fire useage.

:)

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I've test fired a few other semi/full auto shotties at the SOF demo. All were recoil operated. All jammed after a few hundred rounds. The AA-12 is gas operated much like the M-16. Hope it's just as reliable.

Used to operate the M-19 turret mount. One of my happiest memories.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I have a Browning Hi Power, classic 9mm, a Sprigfield Armory 1911 A-1 and a Winchester 1300 Defender. I agree, you need no more then you can carry into the Kwikkie mart with you...

Working on an M4 build too, but kind of holding until I leave Cali.
I had to register my FN-FAL. Cops already knew I had it so I had no choice. Took it down to their range so they could test fire and make sure it's not Class III. hehe, it wasn't when I brought it to them ;)

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Uhhmm, yeah, I prefer to operate inside the laws. Prison is an ugly place...

And an autolaoding shotgun jamming after "a few hundred rounds"? Just how many are you going to need? :busted:

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I had to register my FN-FAL. Cops already knew I had it so I had no choice. Took it down to their range so they could test fire and make sure it's not Class III. hehe, it wasn't when I brought it to them ;)
haha...
We've got an awesome Class III shootout here in Kentucky, located at Knob Creek. It's a full range with shoots throughout the weekend...and a 50 cal. sniper shoot that is great to watch. That said...I don't have my Class III, so i'll be sticking to semi-auto. I really don't want to sign my life away to the ATF.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
a Rock River Arms AR-15 M4.
just a tip...check where the firing pin is striking the primer. we had some guys from another agency at our carbine school with brand new RRA AR's all decked out with the latest "pimp my rifle" setup. about every 4th round they'd jam and we finally figured out that the firing pin was actually puncturing the primer....turned out to be an issue with a loose tolerance in the chamber.

just something to think about if you start jamming up...punctured primer = REALLY BAD

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
just a tip...check where the firing pin is striking the primer. we had some guys from another agency at our carbine school with brand new RRA AR's all decked out with the latest "pimp my rifle" setup. about every 4th round they'd jam and we finally figured out that the firing pin was actually puncturing the primer....turned out to be an issue with a loose tolerance in the chamber.

just something to think about if you start jamming up...punctured primer = REALLY BAD
Manimal,
Thanks for the tip! I haven't fired it yet because i'm waiting to pick up an EoTech 512...but hopefully I won't have any problems.