Quantcast

The "Frankenfork" Linkage-type fork

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
@Tantrum Cycles I remember seeing that Tomac ad in the magazines back then and expecting to see that frame soon... never happened and I recall being slightly disappointed. Seemed pretty cool at the time.
GT killed it. They told PT and Trevor that if they went into the rear suspension/frame design biz, it would be the last time GT ever gave them any business for forks or shocks. I was pretty blown away and disgusted when Trevor told me about the meeting and results.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Was that Giant proto a URT with two short links connecting it to the mainframe? Not many pics of it. Got more info?

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Was that Giant proto a URT with two short links connecting it to the mainframe? Not many pics of it. Got more info?
I hate to use the term URT with this. Yes, technically it was, as the BB moved with the rear axle. Trevor and I had a lot of talks about this, i'm not a fan.

but the BB movement was small and fore/aft.

URT was primarily designed to to eliminate all chain pull effects. Trevor was after certain antisquat characteristics. He DID NOT want the suspension to stop working while standing, which was a URT thing.

This was in the mid 90's and we were separating chain pull from other AS force vectors.

Full disclosure, I was just a friend with casual input. This was 100% Trevor's brainchild, design and connections that even got it that far.