Quantcast

THE FUCKING POWER METER THREAD

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
everyone knows I'm among the slowest of climbers around here on the CO front range, but I do have a satisfaction in finishing climbs without assist. that said, being wiped out before fast gnar descents is never ideal.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You all trying to polarize your training or are you just doing what Zwift or TrainerRoad throws your way?

1955E96E-12DC-4D0F-99C1-F430FB19974A.jpeg
A4D31991-B5A2-4463-BFB2-410067821445.jpeg

essentially no zone 3 by power.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Same goes for you if you drag your ass out to Colorado re demo fee. I'll convert you all eventually

:D
OK, convinced! I get a Sur Ron or KTM Freeride. Because in contrast to you I am not a closet motorcycle rider. :D ;)

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
You all trying to polarize your training or are you just doing what Zwift or TrainerRoad throws your way?
Not trying to polarize training, or really even train.

I thought I would try to get on some kind of actual training program this winter, but what it ended up being was just a lot more volume of pedaling a bike. And with the indoor thing, you're pedaling the entire time rather than the "grind up coast down" shit we do here. I think that means I've basically increased volume and intensity, and that's having an effect on my fitness. So most of my indoor rides are either A. with a smaller group of guys where we do ~17miles of mostly flattish over three laps and we just increase the speed each lap, ending with an all-out sprint for the last 1-1/2 ish miles or B. some kind of random workout that I pick with no knowledge of it really, and tend to be more interval oriented? I posted one of these a while back... over-unders or something like that?

So yeah... no method to my madness this past winter. And now it's too close to outdoor riding season to worry about getting on a "training plan" unless it was something I could do 2x/week from now to the middle of May, and still not miss out on any outdoor riding opportunities.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I thought I would try to get on some kind of actual training program this winter, but what it ended up being was just a lot more volume of pedaling a bike. And with the indoor thing, you're pedaling the entire time rather than the "grind up coast down" shit we do here. I think that means I've basically increased volume and intensity, and that's having an effect on my fitness.
Short duration intervals ... is the way.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
my knees are fucking clapped out all of a sudden. I didn't think I was overtraining- 20 to 60m, 5 days a week, but I'm getting nerve-like pain in my left knee and fatigue in my right. My guess is PFPS? I think I need to lay off the training for a week or something. @Toshi any recommendations?

I have been doing what I think is some sort of polarized training...two days HIIT and two days long endurance. A 20-30 minute row somewhere in there, and a real ride on days that are nice and allow it. I don't really have any structure- I try to listen to my body and rest when I need it then just alternate long/hard/long/hard with upper body weights twice a week.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Oof, that sucks. Suitably low intensity on your "long endurance" rides? Embrace the easy volume.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my knees are fucking clapped out all of a sudden. I didn't think I was overtraining- 20 to 60m, 5 days a week, but I'm getting nerve-like pain in my left knee and fatigue in my right. My guess is PFPS? I think I need to lay off the training for a week or something. @Toshi any recommendations?

I have been doing what I think is some sort of polarized training...two days HIIT and two days long endurance. A 20-30 minute row somewhere in there, and a real ride on days that are nice and allow it. I don't really have any structure- I try to listen to my body and rest when I need it then just alternate long/hard/long/hard with upper body weights twice a week.
what do you do for stretching? i find my knees start to ache & get sore if i don't stretch frequently enough.

my wife also got me one of those percussion massagers for xmas and i absolutely love it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Riding indoors you need to remember you're never coasting so it's harder, plus make yourself stand up and pedal every so often like you would outdoors.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Oof, that sucks. Suitably low intensity on your "long endurance" rides? Embrace the easy volume.
I don't think so. I think a large part of the problem is the sheer joy of being outside again...I tend to go HAM so instead of going hard for 20, I'm going hard for an hour. My indoor rides are all Z2/Z3 if I'm going over half an hour.

what do you do for stretching? i find my knees start to ache & get sore if i don't stretch frequently enough.

my wife also got me one of those percussion massagers for xmas and i absolutely love it.
I do jack shit for stretching, which I guess doesn't work for me! Every time I bring out the foam roller, my fucking kids use it as a lightsaber. I guess I just need to fight them for it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Riding indoors you need to remember you're never coasting so it's harder, plus make yourself stand up and pedal every so often like you would outdoors.
Thanks- those are two things I didn't realize. I'm usually pedalling for the entire hour inside, and tend to focus on seated pedaling form.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I don't think so. I think a large part of the problem is the sheer joy of being outside again...I tend to go HAM so instead of going hard for 20, I'm going hard for an hour. My indoor rides are all Z2/Z3 if I'm going over half an hour.
If I were you I'd moderate the pace outside and axe the zone 3 time completely indoors, and see how that works. This is exactly the theoretical argument against z3, not saying that that's necessarily what you've done to yourself here.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If I were you I'd moderate the pace outside and axe the zone 3 time completely indoors, and see how that works. This is exactly the theoretical argument against z3, not saying that that's necessarily what you've done to yourself here.
I'm usually just following peloton's endurance workouts for power zones. I can just stay at Z2 if that makes more sense. They usually fluctuate between 2 and 3 over the course of the hour, but I can skip the Z3 callouts.

I think the bigger thing is moderating outdoor work. It's just so nice to be outside. I'm following Garmin's recommendations for rest and strava's "weekly workload" range (ie not overworking myself according to their metrics) but since I got the PM I've definitely increased my workload. I'm resting this week (maybe I'll get a low z2 in the next day or so) to see if that improves things.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I do jack shit for stretching, which I guess doesn't work for me! Every time I bring out the foam roller, my fucking kids use it as a lightsaber. I guess I just need to fight them for it.
I also do jack shit for stretching, but when I start getting keen pain from pedaling a bunch I hit the IT bands with this torture device and it helps only a lot.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Thanks and I hate you.
You're welcome.

I also think @Toshi's suggestion of going lighter on your Z2/Z3 days by skipping the Z3 part (or even making them Z1/Z2) isn't a bad one. I don't know that it'll help you not get knee pain, honestly I think that high volume no matter what the intensity or effort can do that... but it may help your training. There's plausible evidence that people don't go hard enough on hard days or easy enough on easy days to make any real improvements. I'm guilty as heck of this. Still am. Don't care.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I can't say this is your problem, but when I ride a lot, and only ride my knees hurt. For me it is an imbalance in the quadriceps. Supposedly cycling makes three of the four muscles strong creating a force imbalance in the knee and eventually knee pain. The solution for me is just doing some leg extension that strengthens that fourth muscle. YMMV but this has helped several other cyclists I know.

Here is a more informed explanation

Inner Versus Outer

In Brian Halpern's book "The Knee Crisis Handbook," a seasoned amateur cyclist complained of patellofemoral pain, or pain in the front of and around his kneecap. The pain stemmed from an imbalance in the strength of his inner thighs in comparison to his outer thighs. Although his quads were well developed, his outer thighs were overpowering his inner thighs and pulling his kneecaps toward the sides of his legs. The muscular imbalance between his abductors and adductors was planting the seeds for a knee-related injury. You can perform isolation exercises, such as weighted leg lifts, to strengthen either your inner or outer thighs. If you aim to avoid knee injuries, be aware of the relative strength of different regions of the same leg muscle.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You're welcome.

I also think @Toshi's suggestion of going lighter on your Z2/Z3 days by skipping the Z3 part (or even making them Z1/Z2) isn't a bad one. I don't know that it'll help you not get knee pain, honestly I think that high volume no matter what the intensity or effort can do that... but it may help your training. There's plausible evidence that people don't go hard enough on hard days or easy enough on easy days to make any real improvements. I'm guilty as heck of this. Still am. Don't care.
Thanks. I mean hate with the strongest affection...I have heard those things referred to as "the pain stick" and honestly hoped I would never do enough SPORTS to need one, but here we am.

I do think lowering my endurance workouts and lightening up the real road rides will be productive...it's just hard not to go HAM and chase PRs when you finally get the opportunity

I can't say this is your problem, but when I ride a lot, and only ride me knees hurt. For me it is an imbalance in the quadriceps. Supposedly cycling makes three of the four muscles strong creating a force imbalance in the knee and eventually knee pain. The solution for me is just doing some leg extension that strengthens that fourth muscle. YMMV but this has helped several other cyclists I know.
thanks for the tips. I'm also doing rowing with the idea of cross-training, but I'm not sure how much "cross" there really is. Aside from flexing my legs more deeply, the overall motion is really pretty similar. Fantastic workout though. I wonder if I can incorporate leg extensions using body weight on my lifting days.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Thanks. I mean hate with the strongest affection...I have heard those things referred to as "the pain stick" and honestly hoped I would never do enough SPORTS to need one, but here we am.

I do think lowering my endurance workouts and lightening up the real road rides will be productive...it's just hard not to go HAM and chase PRs when you finally get the opportunity

thanks for the tips. I'm also doing rowing with the idea of cross-training, but I'm not sure how much "cross" there really is. Aside from flexing my legs more deeply, the overall motion is really pretty similar. Fantastic workout though. I wonder if I can incorporate leg extensions using body weight on my lifting days.
If my knees start hurting before I can feel safe inside a gym I plan on using bungee cord tied to a deck post for an improvised leg extension machine.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
FWIW, I agree with Westy that imbalance could be a big part of it. Hence my suggestion that just teh sheer volume could still cause you some knee pain. In my case, I think it's exacerbated by really tight IT bands when I ramp up the volume. I should do more like what Westy does to get some balance back, in addition to Pain Sticking when my IT bands are tight like tiger.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Due to fucked up right knee I'm back to doing floor exercises with ankle weights, quads, hammys and hip flexoroos. I use a rubber band around a post to do leg extensions like I presume @Westy is referring to. I also have one of those stick things, but with added pain thingy in the middle to make sure it jabs into the muscle betterer.

Being old and broken sucks.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Picked up 8 year old’s 24+ bike at REI today.

They had a Wahoo Kickr set up as a demo on the floor, so I hopped on, street pants, sandals, flat pedals and all.

Spun it up to indicated 912W on the TV displaying the interface on a quick sprint. It feels like riding a single speed track bike with a 30 lb wheel, if that makes sense.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
No power meter, but got in the first 3000 ft day of the year. Legs felt good, back felt good. A burger was inhaled on the way home, now time for a nap.
Screenshot_20210403-142433.png