Quantcast

The Full Tilt Foundation needs help getting Brenden to World Championships

zstyle_22

Monkey
Jan 1, 2004
Centennial, Colorado
There is a fundraiser for Brenden at Full Tilt Cyclery this Friday August 26th at 7pm. The shop is located in the North side of Castle Rock next to Kohls. The address is 4714 Milestone Lane Castle Rock Colorado 80104. If you cannot make it but wish to help Brenden out, donations can be accepted over the phone or through mail. Give them a call 303-660-6077 to see how you can help. All donations are tax deductible through The Full Tilt Foundation.

EDIT: Because Brenden is leaving this friday night, the fundraising/celebratory party will be moved to Friday September the 9th. Drinks and refreshments will be provided. Donations will be much appreciated but not required.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Not that these people aren't all deserving, but it seems like Ridemonkey has turned into a fundraising website lately. This is the third person who's been asking for handouts to get 'em to a race.

It'd be nice to help everyone, but chucking money at everyone who comes on here asking for a handout seems a little over the top. Of course it's a great cause, help a guy get to a race, but you need to offer a service for the money. It's really no different from setting up a cardboard sign on the road and asking passers by for money.

At least one of those guys was on here selling parts, not just asking for cash...

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
binary visions said:
Not that these people aren't all deserving, but it seems like Ridemonkey has turned into a fundraising website lately. This is the third person who's been asking for handouts to get 'em to a race.

It'd be nice to help everyone, but chucking money at everyone who comes on here asking for a handout seems a little over the top. Of course it's a great cause, help a guy get to a race, but you need to offer a service for the money. It's really no different from setting up a cardboard sign on the road and asking passers by for money.

At least one of those guys was on here selling parts, not just asking for cash...
He happens to be a member here at Ridemonkey. DHblur is his name. He is also the guy selling parts.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
WheelieMan said:
He happens to be a member here at Ridemonkey. DHblur is his name. He is also the guy selling parts.
:thumb:

The parts sale is a great way to earn money. But I still stand by my post that asking for handouts is not.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
binary visions said:
:thumb:

The parts sale is a great way to earn money. But I still stand by my post that asking for handouts is not.
I don't know about you, but I would rather support an up-and-coming downhiller by helping him to attend the World Championships than give money to the Go-Ride bounty so top pros who already have fame, salaries, and receive bonuses for good performances can be a couple hundred bucks richer?

Or maybe I'm just biased because Brendon is a really nice local kid who has tons of potential.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
WheelieMan said:
Or maybe I'm just biased because Brendon is a really nice local kid who has tons of potential.
im sending $$. im in my early 30's, have a good job so how can i justify withholding resources from a young ripper. There are lots of other people out there like me i bet.

I have a 15 year old brother who places usually 5th-8th place in jrX DH and 4x. If we didn't live in cattle country Texas, he might be Worlds or pro potential. So i can picture Brendon as my e-little brother. How can you say no to those little guys?

GOOD LUCK BRENDON !

joel

zstyle_22

Monkey
Jan 1, 2004
Centennial, Colorado
No one is asking for handouts. Full Tilt Cyclery is holding a fundraiser at there shop which includes raffles from actual store inventory. If you don't want to give anything besides congradulations, that is fine, but please don't post. Thanks.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ahem, trying to not turn zstyle's thread into an argument. I deleted my response, if anyone wants to discuss it, PM me.

I wish Brenden the best of luck.

jus

Chimp
Nov 3, 2004
I'll also be attending the world championships this year, and i know how hard it is and how short notice they give you to make $2000-$2500.... We just held a raffle coustesy of Norco and made some good money in only a days work. I agree that it doesn't seem right to just flat out ask for money (which is not the case here), i even feel uncomforatble asking people if they'll buy raffle tickets.... Good luck to him though!! And if i wasn't in the same position i'd love to help.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
WheelieMan said:
I don't know about you, but I would rather support an up-and-coming downhiller by helping him to attend the World Championships than give money to the Go-Ride bounty so top pros who already have fame, salaries, and receive bonuses for good performances can be a couple hundred bucks richer?

As much as I want to see support for Brendon. I have to say I think you may have the wrong Idea about the Bounty. Most of the pros do not receive salaries, nor do they receive bonuses for good performance. Most receive product and have some travel taken care of. They usually have someplace to stay as well.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Motionboy2 said:
As much as I want to see support for Brendon. I have to say I think you may have the wrong Idea about the Bounty. Most of the pros do not receive salaries, nor do they receive bonuses for good performance. Most receive product and have some travel taken care of. They usually have someplace to stay as well.
Well, I forgot that the Bounty is only given to US riders, so yea, most US pros do not receive a salary or bonuses. But if I had to choose between giving a well known pro prize money or helping a junior have a once in a lifetime experience at Worlds, my priority would go to the junior. I truly am not trying to derail the thread...

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
What a shame that both our countries " the US and Canada " do not fund any of our DH atheletes while they are representing their homeland at this World Championship.
Makes me sick to think of who's responsible for this, really how much money are we talking about ?

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
yea, really. i'd donate my money to someone who actually needs it to survive in the world. i'd rather donate my time to help them than just throw money around.

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
Get a cardboard sign:

"Need money to fund Trip to MTB World Championships". Stand in a wealthy neighborhood during rush hour (morning/evening). Have laminated professional resumes to hand out. Wear your Jersey, dance like a chicken. DO whatever it takes...

Call local news station, see if they cover your story. Seriously, if its that important, contact as many people as you can. Like you did here on RM, even if it pisses 'em off.