Quantcast

The futility of the Prius and the end of the world as we know it

Feb 15, 2020
Agreed with original post and haven't gotten too far into the rest of it. I gotta say - I saw this coming a long time ago, one of the big reasons for us not having kids and why I never ever get into environmental discussions(arguments)

My wife and I are car free, but just because we like riding bicycles and never have to fight for parking or sit in traffic :)

We're all toast because the one thing that could possibly make a difference is something that will never happen. Everybody just stop having kids for x years.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'm not really sure what happened with Australian made electric vehicles, in 2011 we were teased with this-
1581929757058.png

Skip to 2020, this retarded Chinese flat pack sea creature seems to be our "Australian made" EV future-
1581929954410.png

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Poor guy... Just wait until he hears about;
Porsche
Mercedes
Morris
Ferrari
Ford
Toyota
Honda
MG
Rolls Royce
:panic:
There's no car company called Enzo nor Henry... And if there were, they at least aren't for the same person. I know that Nikola Tesla invented some great stuff, but the nerds are out in force here

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Agreed with original post and haven't gotten too far into the rest of it. I gotta say - I saw this coming a long time ago, one of the big reasons for us not having kids and why I never ever get into environmental discussions(arguments)

My wife and I are car free, but just because we like riding bicycles and never have to fight for parking or sit in traffic :)

We're all toast because the one thing that could possibly make a difference is something that will never happen. Everybody just stop having kids for x years.
OP has purchased aprox 75.7 cars since starting this thread, including one that has fuel efficiency standard approaching that of a Stalin era, Soviet main battle tank, and has had 3 kids.

Make of that what you will.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I also have a super efficient house with soon to be 13.9 kW PV on the roof, and of my three current vehicles one is a BEV and the other a PHEV.

So I haven’t fully given up the religion.

If/when I get a mountain condo, however, it’s certainly going to be at a resort with high powered snow making abilities as our winters get shorter and warmer, though.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
OP has purchased aprox 75.7 cars since starting this thread, including one that has fuel efficiency standard approaching that of a Stalin era, Soviet main battle tank, and has had 3 kids.
You forgot to mention that unlike the Stalin's panzer divisions, his fleet is washed and detailed every couple days. :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I also have a super efficient house with soon to be 13.9 kW PV on the roof, and of my three current vehicles one is a BEV and the other a PHEV.

So I haven’t fully given up the religion.

If/when I get a mountain condo, however, it’s certainly going to be at a resort with high powered snow making abilities as our winters get shorter and warmer, though.
Higher seems to be the most consistent for colder, while latitude ain't doing nearly as much these days. We only really saw snow at 61N at the beginning of the year, and it's not spectacular, in fact, the next few days will shoot up to 40F again. The only way to escape seems to be to go higher.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Higher seems to be the most consistent for colder, while latitude ain't doing nearly as much these days. We only really saw snow at 61N at the beginning of the year, and it's not spectacular, in fact, the next few days will shoot up to 40F again. The only way to escape seems to be to go higher.

I'd probably go for Winter Park. 9,000 ft/2743 m, so well above these doomed Alps resorts, fwiw.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I'd probably go for Winter Park. 9,000 ft/2743 m, so well above these doomed Alps resorts, fwiw.
Yep. They are building a new one up here in Hatcher Pass, which gets some elevation and much colder conditions than Girdwood (Alyeska). The snow piles up at the top of Alyeska, like 600'+...but it rains on the lower half all the time and the classic "North Face" is now only open a fraction of the season, often with terrible conditions. If they get new snow, it's a fairly small % above that rain line that gets it and then it gets tracked out in a matter of minutes. The entire lower half is basically un-skiable for being frozen rain hardpack. The new one in Hatcher will take a few years to get longer lifts in, but should be a better bet.

Feb 15, 2020

Make of that what you will.
As mentioned- it’s too late at this point so whatever floats the boat!

For us, no kids just means less baggage when running from the zombies, or terminators or A bombs whichever one comes first.

Seriously though, I have no desire to live in a post apocalyptic world so we’ll be the only ones riding bikes towards ground zero

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
at first glance at the logo, I thought it was a Scion... but then I remembered Toyota is stubbornly resisting all-electric. Still, even the design language is somewhat reminiscent of Scion...
I saw the "apple" and was thinking, wtf!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
at first glance at the logo, I thought it was a Scion... but then I remembered Toyota is stubbornly resisting all-electric. Still, even the design language is somewhat reminiscent of Scion...
There were rumors of an electric CHR which I think looks dope and would be a really fun car if not totally compliance built and instead maybe AWD....I like the looks even if it is a little mall-aggro

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
what in the actual fuck?

There is a sci-fi where some guy drills a series of tunnels through the melting permafrost, pumps them full of coolant and uses them to chill the ground. This sort of geoengineering is going to be desperately required over the next few years. As for the oil company that is suggesting this, well, all I can say is how are they still legal?

There is a sci-fi where some guy drills a series of tunnels through the melting permafrost, pumps them full of coolant and uses them to chill the ground. This sort of geoengineering is going to be desperately required over the next few years. As for the oil company that is suggesting this, well, all I can say is how are they still legal?
Geoengineering, if it occurs, will fuck us up even worse. Leave the fucking planet to its own behavior and drop the fantasy that we know what we're doing.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Geoengineering, if it occurs, will fuck us up even worse. Leave the fucking planet to its own behavior and drop the fantasy that we know what we're doing.
I would like to hear your scientific explaination , if you are indeed trying to make a point vs your typical point-no-point.
"leave the planet to its own fucking behavior and drop the fantasy that we know what we are doing"

"like global warming...."

maybe i should of put a question mark at the end of my sentence ?

no snark was intended....

"leave the planet to its own fucking behavior and drop the fantasy that we know what we are doing"

"like global warming...."

maybe i should of put a question mark at the end of my sentence ?

no snark was intended....
My point was intended to be that the results of attempted "geoengineering" are, in the long term, likely to be as or more destructive than global warming itself.

It'd help to understand your point of view if you occasionally offered a few sentences or a short paragraph.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
It'd help to understand your point of view if you occasionally offered a few sentences or a short paragraph.
i prefer brevity...

it seems with the passing of time humans are generally selfish assholes and should die.

nothing new under the sun....

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
JBP, I agree there will be unintended consequences to Geoengineering, but we’ve come too far now. We’ve broken it. The oceans are turning acid, the ice is all melting faster than expected (although not if you were paying attention), the world is literally and figuratively on fire. Insert list of terrible shit here.

I don’t want my children and theirs to live in a dystopian hellscape of multiple pandemics, populist nazis, racism division and violence. Unchecked, have no doubt this is what climate change will bring. We need vast fields of carbon sequestration machines powered by solar farms. We need regenerative agriculture everywhere. We need vast deployments of heatpump bouys floating in the oceans, sucking the heat out and beaming it into space as ultraviolet laser light.

Sounds crazy? Not as crazy as the alternative.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
JBP, I agree there will be unintended consequences to Geoengineering, but we’ve come too far now. We’ve broken it. The oceans are turning acid, the ice is all melting faster than expected (although not if you were paying attention), the world is literally and figuratively on fire. Insert list of terrible shit here.

I don’t want my children and theirs to live in a dystopian hellscape of multiple pandemics, populist nazis, racism division and violence. Unchecked, have no doubt this is what climate change will bring. We need vast fields of carbon sequestration machines powered by solar farms. We need regenerative agriculture everywhere. We need vast deployments of heatpump bouys floating in the oceans, sucking the heat out and beaming it into space as ultraviolet laser light.

Sounds crazy? Not as crazy as the alternative.
But what if you could make a bunch of money?