Quantcast

The futility of the Prius and the end of the world as we know it

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Once they convert those 747s to run off fast-food fryer oil, they'll be viable in the US too.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
kill whitey

that's it

just kill whitey

the rest will follow
new zealand needs a population boom of atleast 15 million people....

its so nice there and they do not let nearly enough people in....besides the rich whites...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Better than fossil fuels but still not ‘great’. They should commit to at least an equal, or idealy two or three timesthe amount of actual sequestration to balance out historical impact.
There was a story yesterday that French Total also know about global warming all the way back to the 70s. Also an interesting speech by Margaret Thatcher where she complained about this and how we were polluting the earth this was back in the 80s. What I am trying to say is a lot of companies knew and should really be forced to help solve the problem but it will be difficult to draw the line regarding who could be forced to help or maybe just start from the top with the big offenders before they divest fortunes and can't be held accountable. It's still shocking that so many people knew and the world is so slow to react. I even had a professor in 91 who said he would not buy houses near the ocean due to the effect of climate change and this was in business school. All of this does not give me much hope that we will solve any of this.

There was a story yesterday that French Total also know about global warming all the way back to the 70s. Also an interesting speech by Margaret Thatcher where she complained about this and how we were polluting the earth this was back in the 80s. What I am trying to say is a lot of companies knew and should really be forced to help solve the problem but it will be difficult to draw the line regarding who could be forced to help or maybe just start from the top with the big offenders before they divest fortunes and can't be held accountable. It's still shocking that so many people knew and the world is so slow to react. I even had a professor in 91 who said he would not buy houses near the ocean due to the effect of climate change and this was in business school. All of this does not give me much hope that we will solve any of this.
I don't think that we will solve it. At the governmental/financial/industrial, and lower than that on a tribal level, we are mindlessly shortsighted and utterly lacking in moral compass.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Oh noes... what will the tweakers steal when catalytic converters are no longer around?!?!

“It’s a disruption that people cannot appreciate,” said Paul Eichenberg, managing director of Paul Eichenberg Strategic Consulting. “Truly the engine and transmission becomes the buggy whip of the 21st century. But if you look at the other industries, it will have a huge impact.”

Last edited:
Oh noes... what will the tweakers steal when catalytic converters are no longer around?!?!

The Coming Electric Car Disruption That Nobody’s Talking About

“It’s a disruption that people cannot appreciate,” said Paul Eichenberg, managing director of Paul Eichenberg Strategic Consulting. “Truly the engine and transmission becomes the buggy whip of the 21st century. But if you look at the other industries, it will have a huge impact.”
Try this: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-10-22/the-ev-disruption-that-nobody-s-talking-about

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
View attachment 167442

From one perspective it’s good: incremental improvement even on mixed current grids, and a substantial lifetime carbon reduction with clean grids.

From the other perspective it’s at most a 2 fold reduction in carbon, and that’s probably not enough a la this thread.

Assumption is of 200,000 km service life, for the record.

200k seems to be a typical car lifespan but unsure if that is just "natural causes" or includes retirement via accident.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
200k seems to be a typical car lifespan but unsure if that is just "natural causes" or includes retirement via accident.
As long as it works in the aggregate. I mentioned this to distinguish it from the 10 years old (? hmm) crap study on the Prius vs Hummer where the lifespans were assumed to be 100k and 300k miles, respectively, or something like that.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
As long as it works in the aggregate. I mentioned this to distinguish it from the 10 years old (? hmm) crap study on the Prius vs Hummer where the lifespans were assumed to be 100k and 300k miles, respectively, or something like that.
those are miles or km?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Anyway, assumptions of longer lifespan will tip the balance even more in favor of the EV. Point is that it’s still a factor of 2 or perhaps even 4. Not even one order of magnitude.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think 200K is a pretty good estimate. You might not own a car for 200k, but the car will likely give around 200K before it's junked/scrapped, passing through multiple owners. Not every car will make it that far and some will make it much longer, but that's probably a good overall estimate.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Anyway, assumptions of longer lifespan will tip the balance even more in favor of the EV. Point is that it’s still a factor of 2 or perhaps even 4. Not even one order of magnitude.
The problem isn't vehicle lifespan. The problem is dipshits that get new vehicles every 2-3 years like clockwork.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The problem isn't vehicle lifespan. The problem is dipshits that get new vehicles every 2-3 years like clockwork.
But those aren’t scrapped. They go to the next driver. I don’t see how this changes the equation.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
hmmm...47. personally, on #6 since age 16. i put probably 20k-25k miles per year on a car. current one is the first one i've bought new since my '02 civic, which got totaled in '05 when i got rear ended at speed on i95.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
while that's true, what i'm getting at is the # of cars a person owns during their lifetime.
I've owned 4 total, two of which I still own.

Okay Toshi, now your turn :D
again, why does this number matter as long as it’s still in service?

Anyway, the rough count of those actually mine (not primarily the wife’s) and not just borrowed for a bit

300ZX
Pathfinder
WRX
RX-8
MP3
Versys
Fit
CL-S
Land Cruiser
RAV4 EV
XC40
Model 3
same Land Cruiser another time

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I’m on #3, which is the first one I purchased new. Have had a drivers license for 24 years. Fwiw.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Seven, but three were absolute ancient POS when I was young and studenting. Some of the others due to continent hopping.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
again, why does this number matter as long as it’s still in service?

Anyway, the rough count of those actually mine (not primarily the wife’s) and not just borrowed for a bit

300ZX
Pathfinder
WRX
RX-8
MP3
Versys
Fit
CL-S
Land Cruiser
RAV4 EV
XC40
Model 3
same Land Cruiser another time
damn dude, the rest of us just give a number

just reading those model names cost me 4 grand

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Toshi’s original post that started this entire thread said:
….pretty much guaranteed that the taps to these dirty forms of energy won't turn off until the last mote has truly been extracted from the ground.
Now this is no longer true I think we have a solid window out of this mess but it is fucking far from guaranteed.
As part of my job I get to see a lot of stuff that lots of really big corporations are doing that is really cool, I have hope, and I am increasingly convinced that the ‘it’s gonna take all of the above’ idea is absolutely correct in even more ways than it was originally intended. Industry has to (and is) decarbonising, governments are pushing to greater or lesser degrees, and individuals need to as well, including voting with their wallets and taking a bit of pain or even worse mild inconvenience.
We’ll need everyone doing everything. We’ll need all the different tech. We’ll need good luck and buy-in. We’ll need shit we’ve never done before. But it’s possible.

#StopBurningShit

Last edited: