Quantcast

The futility of the Prius and the end of the world as we know it

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Haha. While I agree and am still young (24), I still want to make a change for my children sake. Does this mean I will ditch my 5.7 v8 truck for a bike? No, but it does mean purchasing food and energy consuming products that are sustainable and more efficient, when priced competitively or slightly higher than the alternative.
These small changes up to and including replacing your truck with a bicycle are all, at best, temporizing measures.

In the long run we are screwed, and, no, I'm not making reference to the truth that we all die eventually.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Instead I think it makes sense to party while Rome burns, to take advantage of our low energy prices that do not account for the externalities such as climate change, and to enjoy the fruits of our petroleum-derived society while it's still around to enjoy.
About goddamn time, hippie. I thought we were going to have to knit you a Ridemonkey hemp poncho. Instead, due to your depressing post, I'm going to ship you some black eyeliner from our new Gothmonkey Cosmetic Collection.

Also, in light of this revelation, I am having the RM servers relocated from our current wind-farm-powered hut in the midwest to a trailer attached to the back of a V8-powered pickup truck which generates electricity by driving through stop-and-go traffic in Manhattan.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
posteriquote is urgently required.

am sorry toshi, but im calling dibs on the reward once you go full unabomber....

and, in prevision of future events , am thinking slapping a 6/71 supercharger on my 68 camaro this year, just for ****s and giggles... thunderdome here i come!

Last edited:

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Have you been watching the 12 Monkeys reruns on HBO? Don't get any ideas, good doctor.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I've pretty much always said that we're just going to have to deal with whatever effects global climate change brings upon us, because people are going to burn up every bit of fossil fuel they can get their hands on. This will entail leveling much of appalachia, drilling in every major wildlife refuge, risky offshore drilling endeavors, major wars to procure oil rights, etc. Can only end in environmental catastrophe.

So, Ive never felt much need to improve my MPG other than as a means of lowering fuel costs. Not saying Im any smarter than Toshi (the man's a doctor), but a tad more cynical from the start is all. Americans are far too selfish to even take care of their own aging parents in a dignified manner... they could give a **** less about "the environment". And the rest of the developing world craves a similar lifestyle.

My advice. Learn to garden and buy a gun. Teach your kids how to operate both. When the sh*t hits the fan, buy all the canned food you can afford, dont waste the money on gas.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The problem is ever dollar, yen or Euro is basically a monetary unit of energy. If everyone suddenly had access to 60 mpg cars they would simply spend the money saved on fuel on other items that consume energy or other limited resources. There are really only 3 realistic options.

1. Make everyone poor, modern version of subsistence living.
2. Reduce population. Fewer consumers to consume resources. Disease, war, birth control
3. Reduce "lifetime wealth". Earn $100K a year, live like someone earning $50K, save money retire when you are 40 years old.

Personally I like option 3 but the reality is we will be forced at some point into options 1 and 2.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
someone needs to find the standup piece of george carlin talking about all the atrocities the earth has withstood over the years and how he thinks hippie environmentalists are jackasses for thinking we can destroy it. i would but it's a PITA on my phone. man that guy was funny.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I always dreamed that upon winning the lottery I would have a vast mile wide open pit dug, fill it with Gasoline and challenge my brother Mike to somehow light it. I find it difficult to come to terms with the fact that most of my dreams may never be realised. Phugging Cruel Shoes I wear....

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I always dreamed that upon winning the lottery I would have a vast mile wide open pit dug, fill it with Gasoline and challenge my brother Mike to somehow light it. I find it difficult to come to terms with the fact that most of my dreams may never be realised. Phugging Cruel Shoes I wear....
You could save yourself some money and just fly to Turkmenistan.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
posteriquote is urgently required.

am sorry toshi, but im calling dibs on the reward once you go full unabomber....

and, in prevision of future events , am thinking slapping a 6/71 supercharger on my 68 camaro this year, just for ****s and giggles... thunderdome here i come!
Nah when Toshi gives into those "voices" he is more likely to return to his roots and go 911 kamikaze on a Teabagger convention. :thumb:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT

Kent Brockman "Professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?" Professor "Yes I would, Kent."

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
hope you have smelting and forging capabilities for when you run out. not to mention a ready source of viable black powder.

have your children evolved enough to sustain themselves on brass?
Shhhh....... You’re going to ruin his conservative-gunz-solve-everything-wanna-be-action-hero jerk off fantasy.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Here's an interesting related question, tied into the last paragraph of my OP: Are there any places that have a decent intersection of both wind and solar power resource availability that you'd actually deign to live in?

Solar:

Wind:

Places that do ok on both measures: the panhandle of Texas; the non-pretty parts of Wyoming far from Jackson and the Tetons; atop the Rockies up through New Mexico and Colorado; and atop the Sierra Nevadas in the inland empire <shudder>.

Sticking to just high wind availability puts one squarely in flyover country where ranchers still lynch gay people and other such pleasantries. Sticking to just high solar availability necessitates a strong grasp of the Spanish language. Maybe it's better just to live in hydropower-land and trust that the government and power utilities remain solvent enough to keep the turbines in the dams spinning…

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Here's an interesting related question, tied into the last paragraph of my OP: Are there any places that have a decent intersection of both wind and solar power resource availability that you'd actually deign to live in?
Lander, WY? Looks like plenty of sun & wind there.

Denver seems to be in one of those areas as well...