Quantcast

The futility of the Prius and the end of the world as we know it

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I believe the solution, if real estate values and eminent domain could enable it, would be for all growing communities to have two pathway systems. One for under 15 mph, and one for above that (within reason). Pipe dream, sure…

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I believe the solution, if real estate values and eminent domain could enable it, would be for all growing communities to have two pathway systems. One for under 15 mph, and one for above that (within reason). Pipe dream, sure…
He needs more than a bike lane, imo.

“I’d like to drive less, exercise more, commune with nature, and hate myself with a lesser intensity because I am driving less, exercising more, and communing with nature. One way to accomplish all of these goals, I decided earlier this year, was to procure an e-bike. (That’s a bicycle with a motor, if you didn’t know.) I could use it for commuting, for errands, for putting my human body to work, and for reducing my environmental impact. A cyclist I have never been, but perhaps an e-biker I could become.”

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have no problems getting along with other trail users on my e-bike(s), both on the Sand Creek Greenway to work and on the front range mountain bike trails (mainly Mountain Lion but also some White Ranch, Deer Creek, LotB, and Apex in there). Then again I don’t ride like an asshole and yield to uphill people, etc.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
He's also delusional if he thinks everyone he passes views those interactions in the same way he does.

People are cowards. They'll wave and say hi and then go bitch to land management agencies afterwards.
We had public comment periods when class 1 e-bikes were trialed in JeffCo. Comments were largely positive iirc. When the population is civilized then interactions are as well.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Woo gives a fuck. Sorry, I meant who.
Live in a country with this shit and get back to me

Toshi lives in one of the most mtb restrictive areas of any population center in the american west. Place has like 4 spots to ride right by one of the densest mtb populations on the planet. Why? Because of the people I'm talking about in that post. All for no reason whatsoever other than than a bunch of old twats that hate bikes.

You don't get tickets in swizzyland for breaking the law. We make news headlines and pay thousands of dollars in fines here for riding bicycles.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Compared to Kauai we have tons of public green space and trails out here in the front range. I don’t think it’s that bad.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Kinda random comparison.

Jeffco sucks. Better than the bay area for accessible, legal mtb trails but that's no feat.
Where I was last, a lush place but with nowhere accessible seemingly. But yes, random.

Access seems fine enough and things aren’t too crowded once one layer away from the first-line parks like Apex.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Where I was last, a lush place but with nowhere accessible seemingly. But yes, random.

Access seems fine enough and things aren’t too crowded once one layer away from the first-line parks like Apex.
Other than marin, I don't know of a single county in the US (okay western US) that has so adamantly fought mtb use for as long as jefferson county. Almost every other town with half the bike population that denver/golden has, has 10 times the trails.

Every other county (besides boulder) has picked up the slack but I don't consider most of them front range. I'm talking about all the open space you reference. Mo trails dammit!

In the context of this thread, jeffco has created a commuting lifestyle that involves far more cars and consumption than need be cuz everyone just hops in there car to ride trails off the front range.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I’m easily satisfied, I guess. Mountain Lion is enough to amuse me, really.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Was eating M&Ms and soaking in the views on a ride today when a couple of e-bikers violated my peace and quiet. They were discussing pros and cons of various e-bikes out there, specifically weight. They concluded that a 50 lb mountain bike was fine because they saw no need to be able to bunny hop/huck a bike when you can just plow through stuff.

On brand

I wasn't mad because I made my annual migration to the local e-bike friendly trails to remind myself why I only ride there once a year.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
True. I guess I like to talk about bikes 20 years ago. But I didn't know what I was doing and bikes sucked then. So really the same thing.
I'm perfectly capable of both praising and demeaning bikes of all eras thank you very much! Harumph!

Bikes in 2002 sucked donkey dick. You didn't miss much. I was literally making my own fork dampers with washers and a drill press because so awesome.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
I'm perfectly capable of both praising and demeaning bikes of all eras thank you very much! Harumph!

Bikes in 2002 sucked donkey dick. You didn't miss much. I was literally making my own fork dampers with washers and a drill press because so awesome.
Ahhh…the old ‘bore out the marzocchi port, but JUST A LITTLE BIT!! ‘.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ahhh…the old ‘bore out the marzocchi port, but JUST A LITTLE BIT!! ‘.
It was mostly manitous. I was trying to achieve damping, not lessen it. I put spring loaded drilled washers in them that would damp in one direction and move out of the way in another. I even used a quarter once. All to control that sweet sweet elastomer.

Those pressed metal cartridges in zoke stuff were just a clusterfuck. I just stuck thick motor oil in them.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Westy thinks this place is just a bitchy old man's joint about yesteryear but truly.........bikes were so SO bad back then compared to what's out there now.
I had a White Brothers fork that had pneumatic damping and it was still better than the other shit I owned until Fox first made a fork.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Did it have an Englund cartridge, or some proprietary system? I forget…
It was designed around the Englund cartidges. It would deflect more than an inch under heavy braking. Exactly what you want when you already have a 90 degree head angle. Still better than the Manitou I tried to replace it with.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
*snicker*

dt swiss insisted on this into like 10 years after the white brothers stuff
I bought a used bike with an MRP Ramp Control, I got it super cheap because the previous owner thought the suspension sucked. LOL. When throwing something away adds $1000 in value.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
And they will continue to get better, with and without motors.
I still get irritated as shit that half the fools 'designing' bikes nowadays are at the point that they're recycling dumb ideas that were abandonned for good reasons (see elevated drive trail bikes)

Every year fox and rockshox come out with forks that supposedly fix what their last design sucked at. It's just running circles on noob customers at this point. They know how to make good dampers. They just insist on taking short cuts to sell the next 3 year product lines.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Did I ever tell you guys about the time I replaced my stock mag 21 Stancions with Ti versions?
I had both the 3Al and 6AL versions. The 6 worked ‘ok’ (but yes, with more than an inch of fore/aft flex, ) the 3.25 versions would spray oil out of the dust wipers when flexed like that.
We thought we were ‘cutting edge’, but one or two rides revealed how crap they were. This was *maybe* in ‘92?