Quantcast

The future is now... Rail Gun Awesomeness

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
One huge hypersonic slug to shoot down a single small missile? Figured you'd want to stick with a CWIS-type model for missile defense; then again, I don't know if a railgun can have the rate of fire to accomplish that.
they said they are developing it also for missile defense but dont know how yet :rolleyes:
and like mentioned above, it could be used to replace or compliment tomahawk missiles

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
How one of these will replace a guided precision munition, I have no idea, but I'll take your guys' word for it...

Range isn't everything.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
How one of these will replace a guided precision munition, I have no idea, but I'll take your guys' word for it...

Range isn't everything.
taken from the article.

..."It finally looks like a gun," the Navy told us. And they're right. Each round is designed to destroy ships, land targets and missiles (ha!) with nothing more than kinetic energy—the equivalent of throwing a rock through someone's window. Right now the Navy's employing deliberately non-aerodynamic rounds that slow down (so the Virginian testing ground doesn't level a town), but they'll be refined into GPS-guided piercing conical chunks down the line. But that line is long.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
taken from the article.

..."It finally looks like a gun," the Navy told us. And they're right. Each round is designed to destroy ships, land targets and missiles (ha!) with nothing more than kinetic energy—the equivalent of throwing a rock through someone's window. Right now the Navy's employing deliberately non-aerodynamic rounds that slow down (so the Virginian testing ground doesn't level a town), but they'll be refined into GPS-guided piercing conical chunks down the line. But that line is long.

Back from the dead to post about this crap?

How you been??! Still riding with R.?