Quantcast

The future is now... Rail Gun Awesomeness

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also, something seems off.... @ 0:47.... what's with the fireball? rail guns use magnets, not explosive/flammable powder... or anything....

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
old news man... also this one looks puny but ship mountable.

but this one is just plain badass -

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
parts of barrel and the projectile get vaporized upon firing. this barrel erosion is one of the reasons why railguns aren't on every nuclear powered warship right now.

if you could make a lightning go where you'd like it to, it would have already been done but you simply can't. or can you?

i'd really hate to go in a war nowdays, it's just too damn easy to get vaporized. :rant:

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise

SacredYeti

Monkey
Sep 12, 2011
San Diego, CA
from what? if they're using enough juice to make that much plasma, they should just make a lightning gun.
What baca said, plus the air just being superheated around the projectile (supersonic nonsense creates some crazy air friction).

I'm with ya on this though. They've had trouble trying to practically provide power for the shot. Why they just don't build an atmospheric hydrogen extractor for the propellant is beyond me :confused:

The rail and projectile have been approved for a minute, and have led to some nice advance in gun turret technology on surface ships. But yeah, power source issue.

Rail guns aren't new by any means. As I see it, they haven't gone past the "novelty item" status because they have a few serious flaws inherent to their design, which (in the best case) can just be mildly improved. Cost, bulk, weight, constant servicing, etc. (just check the wiki if you're curious).

I don't think they're serious about using a rail gun as a weapon in the future; it would be much more cost effective to send planes over enemy territory and drop crates of 6-packs, snacks and men's magazines non-stop to keep them partying and in-fighting long enough to dissolve any threats.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
actually, this isthe news because the Navy just successfully tested a weaponized version of the rain gun

It fires a 40-pound metal slug up to 5,600 miles per hour from New York to Philadelphia, slamming into its target with 32 times the force of a "1-ton car being thrust at 100 mph." Railguns aren't sci-fi anymore.

We'd seen experimental lab models of a railgun weapon that were impressive enough—but they were just that: lab models. Enormous, room-filling contraptions that looked nothing like something you'd see on the deck of a destroyer. But for the first time, the Navy says it's successfully tested a fully weaponized railgun built by BAE, a private weapons firm. This is a huge milestone, bending the thing away from paper and fiction. "It finally looks like a gun," the Navy told us. And they're right. Each round is designed to destroy ships, land targets and missiles (ha!) with nothing more than kinetic energy—the equivalent of throwing a rock through someone's window. Right now the Navy's employing deliberately non-aerodynamic rounds that slow down (so the Virginian testing ground doesn't level a town), but they'll be refined into GPS-guided piercing conical chunks down the line. But that line is long.
The plan is to continue testing over the next five years, ramping up the energy level to 32 megajoules and beyond. How to power such an extraordinary gun is another question entirely, however. The Navy is hoping for an ambitious rate of ten rounds per minute, but at the moment, there's nothing in our fleet that could deliver that kind of juice. Batteries "similar to [those used in] hybrid cars" seem to be the best option, but batteries run out. And you don't want to run out of batteries in the middle of a naval battle. The Navy also doesn't seem to have a clue how it'll use the railgun as an anti-missile system—one of its stated plans.

Between budget cuts and engineering hoops, the day a railgun sees real action on the seas is probably very far away—and besides, we don't have any enemies to use it against beyond spooky Cold War ghosts. But the the destructive spectacle the railgun represents, and the tremendous leap beyond the kind of guns we've been using for almost a century now, is profound.
http://gizmodo.com/5889004/the-militarys-shipwrecking-railgun-just-got-really-real
more:
http://defense.aol.com/2012/02/28/new-navy-rail-gun-fires-50-miles-with-no-propellant-latest-test/

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Couldn't they potentially use a battery pack as mentioned, powered by on board nuclear reactors? Basically gigantic capacitor dumps?
i would think designing a recharge system based off of the steam generators is too big of a task.especially since the big ships are pretty crammed for space as it is. plus the only ships in our fleet that are nuclear are subs and aircraft carriers.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
you mean the carriers, subs or the occasional Russian ice-breaker?
russian ice breakers of course - they need it to blast ice! i haven't really remembered that no ship other than a few carriers is nuclear powered, but mounting one on a sub would be nice for hit and run's. meh, too bad that the time of gigantic iowa class battleships is gone, imagine one like that, nuclear powered and armed with 9 railguns... ****ing hell.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
i would think designing a recharge system based off of the steam generators is too big of a task.especially since the big ships are pretty crammed for space as it is. plus the only ships in our fleet that are nuclear are subs and aircraft carriers.
Currently, sure. But it's a pretty distant future before these weapons are commonplace on ships. Design with the future in mind! Then you can ditch the oilers as well...

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Currently, sure. But it's a pretty distant future before these weapons are commonplace on ships. Design with the future in mind! Then you can ditch the oilers as well...
i suppose new ships could be built around it too when it becomes feasible. newer ships are focused more on precision strike capabilities. massive ships like those Iowa class monsters made way to missile boats which could make way for these rail gun bad boys

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Only problem is that ships getting within line-of-sight of a conventional enemy naval vessel in the future is likely to be near-impossible, given drones, aircraft, sensor technology, and insanely destructive guided/smart weapons. And using this type of weapon for naval gunfire support seems impractical, since you'd want a high ballistic arc and explosive shell, not a hypersonic solid slug with a super-flat trajectory.

And the large size of these might make them less than useful for defense against small boats, where you'd want the 20-30mm cannons of various sorts, or even just .50s.

Probably be standard on ships soon enough, but basically unused except in case of vaporizing Somali pirates. :)

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Only problem is that ships getting within line-of-sight of a conventional enemy naval vessel in the future is likely to be near-impossible, given drones, aircraft, sensor technology, and insanely destructive guided/smart weapons. And using this type of weapon for naval gunfire support seems impractical, since you'd want a high ballistic arc and explosive shell, not a hypersonic solid slug with a super-flat trajectory.

And the large size of these might make them less than useful for defense against small boats, where you'd want the 20-30mm cannons of various sorts, or even just .50s.

Probably be standard on ships soon enough, but basically unused except in case of vaporizing Somali pirates. :)
Missile defense.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
One huge hypersonic slug to shoot down a single small missile? Figured you'd want to stick with a CWIS-type model for missile defense; then again, I don't know if a railgun can have the rate of fire to accomplish that.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
final versions of these guns should have range of 300+ miles and the slug doesn't fly all that flat. they would be used instead of missiles like tomahawks n ****, both saving $$$ and raining down much more fire.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
final versions of these guns should have range of 300+ miles and the slug doesn't fly all that flat. they would be used instead of missiles like tomahawks n ****, both saving $$$ and raining down much more fire.
Since when does the U.S. military choose cost savings in weapons?