Quantcast

The garage frame building journey

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
@sikocycles - looks like beautiful work, and that you have access to some great machining capability. I'm really impressed. 2 claws up from lobsterCT.

question - is any tube mitering going to be done on the jig, or is the jig only to hold parts for welding?

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
I‘m just playing around. I’m fine if you judge me!
I think Oscar from Simple’s jig looks to be real nice!
I got a manual mill recently (in trade for moto parts) so I want to try and make some parts like your jig.
My goal is to modify my seat angle on my DH frame to be steeper for a dropper post so I was making a jig just for this application. It’s evolving slowly and I’m planning on getting stuck into it after I build another snowboard or two.

View attachment 156169
@buckoW - what is going on here exactly? I'm not sure if you are planning to cut off the seat tube and carbon in a new one, or if you are making aluminum pieces to tweak the angles?

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
@lobsterCT where are you in CT? . No tube mitering on the jig. Just holds the tubes for tacking.
I will be making a frame alignment post next for the welding table after the jig is done.
After that I will make a chain stay mitering jig or buy a Farr frameworks one. It is super sweet.
Need make heat sinks also

it weighs a ton. The 1” jig plate may have been overkill. I will start making a stand. I want it to pivot and rotate 360 degrees.

Last edited:

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
Cool, I didn't realize you were in CT. I'm in Ledyard. I would definitely like to see your set ups in operation when you start on the frame. It looks like you are setting up a rock solid foundation.

Do you ever ride bluff point in Groton? I could show you good loops there if you have never been. I built a faux GGDH size 4 front triangle, but my machining, jig, and set up were a lot more basic than your stuff. Mostly a hand router, bandsaw, and drill press. 1 weekend on an old out of level lathe to make the head tube, bb, and seat tube. It was a proof of concept for me to see if I enjoyed the hobby.

I liked it a lot, and have purchased a small lathe/benchtop mill, etc. and am starting to build a jig for a next project. just got a 6" rotary table. Looking forward to seeing your continued progress.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Never been riding there but would like to. I will get a benchtop lathe and mill soon.
Finishing the BB spacers and it will be complete today. Then onto the heatsinks.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Final piece of the puzzle. Will make the other odd ball spacers in the next few days. These are the most used.
41D446DF-B7AF-4117-A8D7-84F1089BEE6C.jpeg
Need a bolt for the BB spacers. The ones I have are too long or too short. Will laser engrave them tomorrow.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Laser engraved. Will assemble it this weekend and post some more pictures I just need some more dummy axles and tubing. Plus a lot of practice.
7583F64A-05F6-45AC-BB46-5BBAE2ABB0E0.jpeg
DAA80592-084D-4A61-9207-85831125FC4B.jpeg

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Mounted on my welding table. Checking it out and I am very pleased. More welding practice this weekend. Need to buy bikecad. I may need to to a GoFundMe page.
Sorry about the messy garage.

Attachments

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
@buckoW - what is going on here exactly? I'm not sure if you are planning to cut off the seat tube and carbon in a new one.
I want to cut off the seat tube and carbon one back on a little steeper and with room for a 200mm dropper. Not the best idea but I think I might like the experience and hopefully the bike holds up.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
you can always do MOAR carbon! if the first go starts to develop cracks.

I had the misfortune to buy the DVO emerald. I beefed up the carbon arch to try and improve the twist resistance. I did it as an experiment, applying the carbon in about 8 stages and riding in between. I eventually added 1 pound of carbon to the structure, then said fuck it and bought a 40 :-)

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
@englertracing You definitely have more fab skills than me!

I’ve been playing around with repairing cf down tubes and toptubes for a while and those are all holding up. I also made 8 snowboards and only one broke. Little by little, I think I am getting there. It could be delusions but I’m cool with that. I do think I could do it? Maybe? Either way kevlar panties might be mandatory.

I’ve been figuring out the temps and epoxies for the last few years and have settled on some Sicomin 8500/sz8525. Very easy to wet out and is almost cured in a half hour at 90* C. Here’s my ghetto setup with vacuum pump and 2 silicone heating blankets.
90377640-75BF-4BB6-A553-60BAD0B331D2.jpeg

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Also, I don’t have skills but I would like some in the future so I’m getting my hands dirty.
Here’s a good example of my progress. The left one was built in December and the right one in April.

3254F462-A8FB-4D1C-8EBD-EF536D393517.jpeg

@sikocycles Did you start tacking some tubes together?

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
@englertracing You definitely have more fab skills than me!

I’ve been playing around with repairing cf down tubes and toptubes for a while and those are all holding up. I also made 8 snowboards and only one broke. Little by little, I think I am getting there. It could be delusions but I’m cool with that. I do think I could do it? Maybe? Either way kevlar panties might be mandatory.

I’ve been figuring out the temps and epoxies for the last few years and have settled on some Sicomin 8500/sz8525. Very easy to wet out and is almost cured in a half hour at 90* C. Here’s my ghetto setup with vacuum pump and 2 silicone heating blankets.
View attachment 159107
If you are serious about it, there is a freelance carbon engineer active on the German MTB-news board. He did private Zoom sessions for people interested in learning the skills and even offered one other participant to join him in his workshop to help him with a project. I can get you in touch if you want.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
@sikocycles Nice! I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Who remembers:
I do! I saw him race the shit out of the dual slalom on his home made hard tail at Chapman Hill in Durango, Co. How’s the Turner repair turning out?

If you are serious about it, there is a freelance carbon engineer active on the German MTB-news board. He did private Zoom sessions for people interested in learning the skills and even offered one other participant to join him in his workshop to help him with a project. I can get you in touch if you want.
Haha, but I am serious...
Thanks for the offer! I have a clear idea of what I want to attempt and all the raw materials, epoxies and vacuum pump already.

I have repaired a few carbon frames which are still going and look way better than expected. I’m just playing around with stuff at home and like to make things.

Last edited:

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Nothing yet. I use the lathe and Bridgeport at work. Just do it at lunch or stay a little later. I keep checking CL but nothing yet.
Have my Farr miter touch, Le-disco and butt checker coming. Hope to order the tubes and stuff next week to start the build.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Nothing yet. I use the lathe and Bridgeport at work. Just do it at lunch or stay a little later. I keep checking CL but nothing yet.
Have my Farr miter touch, Le-disco and butt checker coming. Hope to order the tubes and stuff next week to start the build.
Very cool setup! Your shop is going to be awesome!

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I hope so. I have a granite surface table coming. Work has one that dont need. I just need to get it home.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Oh nice! I’d like a surface table at home sometime in the future. Did you see the one Paul Brodie uses to straighten his frames? He has a lot of interesting videos on Yuotube.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Yes I watched his series. I may do what he does on my welding table but still will get the surface plate

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Designing a frame in BikeCad. Messing around. Always wanted an EWR OWB but with modern geo
View attachment 159656
Always loved the look of those frames... and grew up on riding tips from Jay de Jesus in dirt rag. Assume you’re aware of this:http://www.ewrbikes.com/

Seems to have gone quiet the last 10ish years. Saw him at kingdom trails about that many years ago too riding his ewr otb on the mountain.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Yes, I have seen that but they have not made a bike in 10 years. Plus Bilenky made those frames for them.
I wont sell the frame it is just for me

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland