Quantcast

the gearbox thread

That Millyard was sweet. I was talking line choices with the kid riding it. Really nice kid. First impressions were that the bike looked like some super heavy a** moto knock-off. ASked about the weight and we he said around 42, I thought "wow." I saw him go by on a few practice runs and damn, the bike is super quite! Yeah for the small guys pushign the limits!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Welcome to Ridemonkey Allen and again congratulation on a super nice looking bike and I am sure it ride nice too.

Any geometry information? From the picture the BB looks a little high?

Trigger shifter or twist shifter?

How does the shock deal with the heat build up? Any more info on the shock?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
welcome here Allen.

great looking bike.

i would like to see the drive shaft?

acetate bevel gears?

alex

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Beautiful bike Allen!! Reminds me of a Ducati.

Thanks for contributing and please keep us posted on your under 40 project.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
welcome here Allen.

great looking bike.

i would like to see the drive shaft?

acetate bevel gears?

alex
I'm sure that by "drive shaft" he means running coaxially through his 2 piece rear hub, like an axle.

I'm also fairly sure it's got primary and secondary chain drive.

Not a huge fan of bb-concentric pivots, but I love this bike.
If the pivot could be concentric with the nexus axis, it would achieve that nice rearward wheel path.

Lots of nice innovative ideas. Keep up the good work Allen.
Can't wait to see the MK2!

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
42 lbs? hm
with the chain runnin in the swingarm im guessin there would be some friction with that?
oh and heres my gbox bike ,63deg AH ,1200 wheel base and some how it turns mint ,its just so quick and flickable.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004

(From the MSC site)

MSC X evo III

MSC Bikes is continously working on the development of “the X project”. After a limited edition of the MSC X evo II G-Boxx bicycle, we have finished the first drawings of the third evolution, the MSC X evo III.

Main goals in this moment are weight and target price. MSC X evo III will reach the consumer at affordable prices with the new G-Boxx II, including 7 speeds perfectly synchronised.

As you can see on the images, the frame becomes simpler, because performance is the most important after all.

MSC X evo III will take the MPS (Multi Progressive Suspension) suspension technology to its next step.

We will keep you informed soon…

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
so wtf is with all these people bragging about "gearbox" bikes for years and none of them have come out despite "appearing" finished (well except GT and Lahar) whats the deal? Is it because they are trying to re-invent everything along with the bike. It's like for christ sake, just make the gearbox box, don't try to do everything at once.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
They're holding back to maximise current sales,when one jumps in they all will. Lahar and Nicolai are no real threat yet,the GT was just made to gauge interest and get feedback,or so I'm guessing. Possibly Shimanno and Sram have payed them all off.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Or possibly the manufacturers don't want the UCI to ban gearboxs if one comes in and decimates the feild,so they're treading lightly until gearboxs are slowly filtered in through the little manufacturers to be more commonplace. This is perhaps why such a giant like Honda have not come out with a performance advantage gearbox bike as yet.
Insert twilight zone music here>

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
^thats a nice variation. i'm still a bit disappointed that the gboxx standard limits pivot placement / somewhat dictates suspension config.
Agreed. It needs to just be a box with "motor-mount" bosses and a countershaft in a logical location to let the builders create a cradle frame that they can then incorporate their own suspension design into.

(Of course the last time I suggested this in a thread I got jumped all over for it. Whatever)

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Agreed. It needs to just be a box with "motor-mount" bosses and a countershaft in a logical location to let the builders create a cradle frame that they can then incorporate their own suspension design into.

(Of course the last time I suggested this in a thread I got jumped all over for it. Whatever)
i have to say the lahar setup is brilliant in its simplicity. just a rohloff mounted on adjustable cams. no extraneous housings or proprietary cranks. allows a large range of gearbox mounting possibilities, therefore more suspension design options. the enclosed primary drive g-boxx standard is more complex than it has to be imo.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Where's that damn trigger shifter for the Rohloff/G-boxx?
i've heard some reputable rumors earlier this year that its in development by a certain third party; even possibility of a late summer release. no recent tidbits though. having ridden the twister for a few months, i have to say i dont mind it. different, but rarely detrimental.

you still on the nucleon?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
that's for the suntour tranny then? i was under the impression that a rohloff trigger was in the works, but i could have been misguided. it'd be a boon to rohloff sales i'm sure.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
No to both. The G-boxx-2 unit is directly from Universal Transmissions, not suntour. The suntour unit is called a V-Boxx. The g-boxx no longer uses Rohloff internals, it's all their own stuff inside.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
i've heard some reputable rumors earlier this year that its in development by a certain third party; even possibility of a late summer release. no recent tidbits though. having ridden the twister for a few months, i have to say i dont mind it. different, but rarely detrimental.

you still on the nucleon?
Yessir... still on the Nucleon. For some reason I finally got comfortable with that twist shifter the last time I was up at Whistler. Strange. It only took me a couple years.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Have you all chopped down your Rohloff shifter rubber to get it slimmer?
How long a grip is everyone running with theirs?
What's the favoured direction for shifting to a harder gear(forward/backward)?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i carved off the three bumps so its round now - a smoother transition to the grip. i run my grip about 4" wide, so just my thumb & edge of forefinger are on the shifter. i might try cutting the shifter down so i've got a near full width grip. shifting is set up rotating back for lower gears - kinda emulates trigger action.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
I have half lock ons on the side of the rohloff shifter and a full length lock on.
You have to buy 2 pack but it gives you a spare set and looks factory.
I have just left the shifter the way it is,It good standard.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
When I bought the rohloff used the shifter was already cut down to a round shape. I found it was difficult to grip, especially in the wet. I wrapped it in skateboard grip tape, which worked nice but tore through a set of gloves real quick. So I ordered a new factory rubber cover and I left it stock.

I rotate the top towards me for lower gears.

I've got an almost full length grip on the shifter side. I like having my brakes way inboard on the bar so the shifter fills that space nicely. My left side has at least an inch gap between grip and brake.

I never posted a pic (and I can't right now cause my wife has the camera on vacation) but I have a nice clean setup where I used v-brake noodles where the cables exit the shifter. This routes the cables exactly like the brake line and I taped all 3 together.

When I get pics I'll post them. It's such a good trick and the shifting is very smooth.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I have girly hands so I cut down mine as well. I rotate down for the higher(?) gears. Even after cutting down the shifter I still tore through a set of Dainese gloves, complete garbage. My Shift gloves are fine. I'm using cheapo grips with the right side being the standard twist-shifter sized grip.

I'll look into that v-brake noodle trick although I'm wondering how much friction it'll add. I'm really not like the external shift box.

Punter

Chimp
May 8, 2006
I'm wind it on like a moto for more speed. coming into corners braking and winding the shifter towards you was weird. also accelerating out the blocks winding it on is easier the way i have it as your body is in a better position for pulling it towards you. thats what i reckon.

i have no prob with the shifter with the ridges cut down or left standard. I think i like ridges cut off a little better though.

ODI wise i leave about 3 inches

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
Hey you gearbox junkies, I've got a G-boxx (14 spd) with cranks and (twist) shifter for sale.

As you know most if not all cad files for designing your own can be had on www.G-boxx.org.

Design your own Trail/FR frame and hit the trails. This unit saw limited dirt time and was used mostly for mock-up and presentation.

Contact me if you're interested.

Sully

Oh btw, I'am done with this version gearbox and on to the next gen for us

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
The red hardtail looks cool,what's it's story?I want one.
Some nice looking bikes there but no Lahar beaters.
I hope the companies don't just patent and/or slander gear boxes out of DH existence.
The Suntour looks okay for a trail bike if it's light enough,what box is it packin?

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
The red hardtail looks cool,what's it's story?I want one.
Some nice looking bikes there but no Lahar beaters.
I hope the companies don't just patent and/or slander gear boxes out of DH existence.
The Suntour looks okay for a trail bike if it's light enough,what box is it packin?
The red hardtail - I have no idea. It is even a gearbox? not sure.

The suntour uses a suntour box.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
The red hardtail - I have no idea. It is even a gearbox? not sure.

The suntour uses a suntour box.
I've heard of a two or three speed BB gearbox,but I think it fits in a normal sized frame(BB).

Interesting double air shock concept. I don't know why they don't just make bigger air chambers like the old Fox airs,is it for ramping?Do the higher pressured small chamber shocks help the seals seal(seems od)? Sorry for the derail.