Quantcast

the gearbox thread

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Ahh that's a better pic. I didn't notice in the other pic that the swingarm wasn't the same on both sides.
The bend in the top tube and it mounting so high make me think there will be issues with strength of the down tube junction. A bent tube wil flex more than a straight one.
Anyone for more worms?
Silver looks good.
considering the context of this thread, you say some of the dumbest things on RM ...

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Stupidity can often be with the onlooker. I come here to share knowledge,it's a two way street.I can only try to help,or give light joyous banter to ease the harsh reality.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
No seriously Monkeys,

I understand whats being said, but regardless it's incounselquencal, its a prototype.

Proto's change, they develop, they improve.

Remember these are intended to be the first of several coming down the pipeline and each one of these test boundaries, both in conceptual theory and in physical manufacturing.

I can appreciate that everyone has an opinion and I value that constructive criticism but really folks cut me some slack, they got built they're going to get used and eventually they change....period.

Man, some sure know how to take the fun out of someone's parade.

So when do I get my turn to try and break it? :shocked::twitch::busted:

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
Damm Squirrel, what makes you think you can break it........just because you're 6"7' and built like an M-1 Abrams Battle tank!

Besides its a med and you'ed look like you were riding a BMX bike!

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
UncaJohn,

I followed the link as I am sure you did but it only went to a register here for more info site.

Tried Google, lots of ref to Srams hub units but nothing soild about a gearbox. I guess there's ref to a German test or somthing like that.

To much to do, so I didn't search long.

Time will tell, I am curious regardless.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
sounds like a chainring gearbox setup of sorts. unfortunately looks like it doesn't replace the rear mech (if this info is correct, of course).

edit - looks like this is covered in the sram gearbox speculative thread...

UncaJohn

Chimp
Dec 27, 2007
Athens
UncaJohn,

I followed the link as I am sure you did but it only went to a register here for more info site.

Tried Google, lots of ref to Srams hub units but nothing soild about a gearbox. I guess there's ref to a German test or somthing like that.

To much to do, so I didn't search long.

Time will tell, I am curious regardless.
Yep, you're right, but i had to post that link anyway, just in case someone would find something more to post.
Damn, i do hate those marketing tricks!

UncaJohn

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
can these gearbox bikes use a 12 by 150mm hub with a singlespeed cog on it?
That should work with the g-con standard bikes.

Other versions are all over the map, including left side drive.

I'm not sure, but I believe the best hub for a g-boxx bike would be fixed, because the gb has it's own ratchet. They need to make symmetrical hubs with a standard 6-bolt flange on both sides and just bolt a six-hole cog directly on.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I don't think the brake is a good idea for the simple fact that if the chain breaks or derails that you have no brakes. It does decrease unsprung mass however.

UncaJohn

Chimp
Dec 27, 2007
Athens
As i can see most of these designs are using a geared hub (one of mine designs is working towards this direction too, as it is way safer than machining from zero a new gearbox).
I guess that it would be really helpfull to share any knowledge about these parts (geared hubs).
A very helpful site is:
www.hubstripping.com

Anyway one of my considerations is if i can toss the shell of the hub in order to use the internal mechanism (i guess not as there are some planet gears attached from the inside of the hubshell) and combine the gearing of a (let us assume now) 3-speed Shimano with the internals of a Alfine in a mutual shell like a gearbox carter......
Welll, the main problem is that i'll have to buy & take apart those parts in order to determine if this is possible!

Also.
One of my consideratios, what actyally slows me down is that i like things to be a bit simple. Overcomplicated solutions are good only at the early design stages. we all know that a simpler design is less prone to fail and way easyer to servece (never forget the S- Factror!)

UncaJohn

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
GT, Nox and Solid have all made bike using just the internals from nexus hubs mounted in their own shells. The shells are then part of the frame. All these bikes end up with left side final drive and a non-concentric pivot location. Combining an Alfine and 3-speed seems overcomplex for sure. Do you really want 24 gears?

UncaJohn

Chimp
Dec 27, 2007
Athens
Well, yes.

And i am not talking about the number of the speeds (a CVT would be really nice) but more for the range of the gearing system.
That's because what i need is a bike that can climb too.
The groung here at Greece is really steep. After every downhill a steep climb follows..... and all these through narrow steep trails that require long trave suspension bikes (once upon a time considered DH overkill rigs).
So the range of the gearing has to be a bit wider than of a pure DH bike (hope this won't spoil the mood).

In my desing i have reached a point (in designing right now, as i am adding a Gearbox into my patended ssuspension design) were i can replace on the same frame the suspencion element that will carry the Gearbox mech.
So i can use the following combinations:
-An Alfine hub as Gearbox (for Pure DH - less speeds)
-A Speedhub (to go where no roadie will ever go)
-Experiment with some ideas of mine (CVT)

Now, one of the problems that keep slowing me down is that i'll have to actually buy a (let's say) Allfine & take it apart in order to see if i can modify it!
So i'm leaving this part for last while talking to people like you, trying to get as much info as i can!

UncaJohn

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Well, yes.

And i am not talking about the number of the speeds (a CVT would be really nice) but more for the range of the gearing system.
That's because what i need is a bike that can climb too.

So the range of the gearing has to be a bit wider than of a pure DH bike (hope this won't spoil the mood).

UncaJohn
Rohloff has just the thing for you:huh:

metzy

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
Just thought I would post an update. My bike has had hundreds of hours riding now that she is a year and half old. Drive system is as good as new!!! no broken derailleurs. Zero maintennce! blah blah blah

Attachments