Quantcast

the gearbox thread

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
i saw a guy riding w/ Jeff Lenosky on a gearboxx Diamondback at Diablow during the US Open...whats the deal with this bike?
I am pretty sure you are talking about the Diamondback Sabbath, only available in europe at the moment (apparently Raleigh US and Raleigh UK are different companies)

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I am pretty sure you are talking about the Diamondback Sabbath, only available in europe at the moment (apparently Raleigh US and Raleigh UK are different companies)
yeah that was it...i just searched this thread now and saw it.
the bike looked pretty nice, you never would think Diamondback would make something that nice lookin. it kinda looks like my Intense Uzzi.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
There was a guy from Diamondback US on one at Diablo, NJ at the end of the season last year. He had build up with some nice part and it looked good. Did not try it, lift it up or anything.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
There was a guy from Diamondback US on one at Diablo, NJ at the end of the season last year. He had build up with some nice part and it looked good. Did not try it, lift it up or anything.
im assuming it was the same guy from Sunday.....i dont think theres too many people in the U.S. riding one....if anyone at all, besides DBack employees.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
No I am sure that is the case. He said he had gotten it special order from the UK. Seems like a good bike to bring to market here if the price is right.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Decline has an article about the future of internal transmission in their current issue. They asked everybody and their dog for opinions.....except Karl-Heinz Nicolai!!!!!!!!!
And DW said that he developed the G-Boxx standard together with Nicolai. That is news to me. Any info on his involvement? But he now advocated against gearbox technology as it is not efficient, light and simple enough. Bummer! :bonk:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
diamondback uk had a published launch last year, but i've yet to see any evidence that any had actually been produced for public consumption. curious.

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
Decline has an article about the future of internal transmission in their current issue. They asked everybody and their dog for opinions.....except Karl-Heinz Nicolai!!!!!!!!!
And DW said that he developed the G-Boxx standard together with Nicolai. That is news to me. Any info on his involvement? But he now advocated against gearbox technology as it is not efficient, light and simple enough. Bummer! :bonk:
I take it you never saw the Evil Imperial 2013i? Having some personal experience developing a gearbox for a senior mechanical engineering capstone, I would have to agree with DW in regards to the factors holding back gearboxes taking over. The performance, weight, and efficiency of a chain and derailleur setup is a tough target to beat. I still have hopes of gearboxes making it though!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I take it you never saw the Evil Imperial 2013i? Having some personal experience developing a gearbox for a senior mechanical engineering capstone, I would have to agree with DW in regards to the factors holding back gearboxes taking over. The performance, weight, and efficiency of a chain and derailleur setup is a tough target to beat. I still have hopes of gearboxes making it though!
I am aware of that bike. But DW made it sound like he co-developed the G-Boxx standard. And that is news to me.
I agree that currently the gearbox is not competitive with a derailleur setup, but back in the day the same was said about those awefully heavy, long travel, downhill only Mag 21 forks! :biggrin: Now all you engineers, get on it and don't waste time developing another FSR/VPP/SP bike that just looks a little bit different than the previous one! :imstupid:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I fail to see how a Lahar with a Rohloff is not more reliable, and competitve with a deraileur.:banghead:
If someone made a 5 speed of the same standard as a Rohloff, the theoretical reduced weight, would easily make it as light, as a mech set up. and a trigger shifter for those that can't see the benefit of a twit shifter for multiple gear changes a t once.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I fail to see how a Lahar with a Rohloff is not more reliable, and competitve with a deraileur.:banghead:
If someone made a 5 speed of the same standard as a Rohloff, the theoretical reduced weight, would easily make it as light, as a mech set up. and a trigger shifter for those that can't see the benefit of a twit shifter for multiple gear changes a t once.
Lahar is a bad example as they aren't available anymore. At least I don't know anybody in it's right mind who would order one now.
I agree with your vision of how it should be engineered, but it would cater to a niche market and the 'not being competitive' comment was also based on potential market penetration. At least this is how I read it.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Lahar is a bad example as they aren't available anymore. At least I don't know anybody in it's right mind who would order one now.
I agree with your vision of how it should be engineered, but it would cater to a niche market and the 'not being competitive' comment was also based on potential market penetration. At least this is how I read it.
It's not relevant if Lahars are available, the point is that it can and was done.
A Rohloff is competitive price wise over a period of time. and performance wise. Peoples ignorance, be it due to lack of experience or whatever, is no excuse to not bring out a higher performing, and much more reliable product. The manufacturers have the market right were they want them, unknowledgeable, and buying perishable products. Bike evolution is so retarded by marketing.
Look at the Hammerschmit, it's a 80+year old design, that only broke through due to one of the trusted manufacturer taking it on, and even it is struggling for market recognition.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
IMO Hammerschmit is a bad comparison as it totally jacks up the pedaling characteristics of a bike, but I totally agree with you as far as gearboxes being more than viable, if someone would just do it right!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
It's not relevant if Lahars are available, the point is that it can and was done.
A Rohloff is competitive price wise over a period of time. and performance wise. Peoples ignorance, be it due to lack of experience or whatever, is no excuse to not bring out a higher performing, and much more reliable product. The manufacturers have the market right were they want them, unknowledgeable, and buying perishable products. Bike evolution is so retarded by marketing.
Look at the Hammerschmit, it's a 80+year old design, that only broke through due to one of the trusted manufacturer taking it on, and even it is struggling for market recognition.
You don't have to convince me! I am with you. I just stated some comments from DW and others in this article. And to be honest, I was disappointed to see that DW switched sides. I had great hopes he would attack some of the remaining problems with gearbox bikes, especially because he played around with them for so long. But hyping and selling 'industry standard' bikes pays better I guess. :rolleyes:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
It's not relevant if Lahars are available, the point is that it can and was done..
yep. it's a proof of concept that a competitively light & efficient gearbox dh chassis is viable today. the fact that one guy in his garage could build such a thing is also telling. if the big co's were really motivated to build bikes with transmissions that could last the lifetime of the bike with minimal maintenance and near 100% reliability, i have no doubt they could pull it off with iterations that are competitive w/ current derailleur bikes.

since that's probably not going to happen any time soon - here's to the little guys forging ahead & advancing the state of the art in drivetrain design despite the naysayers. :cheers:

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
You don't have to convince me! I am with you. I just stated some comments from DW and others in this article. And to be honest, I was disappointed to see that DW switched sides. I had great hopes he would attack some of the remaining problems with gearbox bikes, especially because he played around with them for so long. But hyping and selling 'industry standard' bikes pays better I guess. :rolleyes:
I'd say that DW simply must support attractiveness of his entire DW-Link, Split-Pivot, e13 portfolio since he invested HUGE amounts of his time and money into it and now he wants his work to bring the fruits... And I'm sure DW won't have any problems switching his designing ideas from the now-advocated derailures to the gearboxes of any kind.

It's just the same like DW said in one of his latest interviews (3rd from the end) when answering question about no SplitPivot bikes in the market. There are contracts signed with manufactures however manufacturers want to sell the rest of their actual line-up before they come up with brand new models. And who knows, maybe DW already has some gearbox designs prepared ....

Last edited:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
dw had mentioned (a few years ago) work he was doing on a new gearbox project (i believe there was some reference to the project made at ibike), that was subsequently shelved. curious what that entailed.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
this actually looks pretty solid. the previous iteration needed refinement. assuming the price is still cheaper than the rohloff, this could make great gearbox guts.

trigger looks decent too:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Anyone ever see Greg Minnaar's gearbox when he road for honda. The internals appeared to be just a derailleur. I would love that. Although I know Wikipedia is not an extremely accurate source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_RN-01_G-cross

I always smash derailleurs or bend them so they don't shift well. Also they get contaminated, especially with a longer line right by the wheel. I would like something simple like this, even if it added a pound.

Last edited:

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
mmmmmmm. add that to the zero d that is coming out(hopefully). pretty sweet. maybe we will see some more frame mounted hub gear box bikes.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Anyone ever see Greg Minnaar's gearbox when he road for honda. The internals appeared to be just a derailleur. I would love that. Although I know Wikipedia is not an extremely accurate source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_RN-01_G-cross
there used to be a video on freecaster where his mechanic took the box apart and showed how it all worked. pretty basic design when you think about it

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
According to article at Radfahren.de; the new Alfine may be alternative of Speedhub because of price and trigger-shifter. Increased gear range is nice but Speedhub has 526% and its lightest version weighs 1700g.

Preis: ca. 300.- Euro
Gewicht: ca. 1600 Gramm
Übersetzungsverhältnis: 409 Prozent
Gangsprünge: 2 x 17 und 8 x 13 Prozent
Ölschmierung: 25 Milliliter

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Another one enters the game....
http://www.pinion.eu/en/index.html

Not quite sure of the application on this one. Looks like they have tested it for enduro/trekking so far and only on hardtails. Seems to be fairly compact, especially for having 18 gears.

I think it'd be pretty simple to set that thing up so that the BB spindle on it acts as a concentric suspension pivot with a 2nd cog on it running to a standard crankset below.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
already mentioned in the gboxx thread, but yeah, some cool development with this one.

i want:

plus (in lieu of the current superco, as the shock placement would interefere):

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Are there patent issues with the derailleur in the box design? Other than the amount of space it takes up it seems like a viable idea.

I hope the Zerode bike gets finished that bike has tons of potential.

Daz

Chimp
Mar 5, 2008
Another one enters the game....
http://www.pinion.eu/en/index.html

Not quite sure of the application on this one. Looks like they have tested it for enduro/trekking so far and only on hardtails. Seems to be fairly compact, especially for having 18 gears.

I think it'd be pretty simple to set that thing up so that the BB spindle on it acts as a concentric suspension pivot with a 2nd cog on it running to a standard crankset below.

They had a bike with this system mounted on a trainer to test ride at Eurobike. It was getting stuck on the 8th gear when I tried to down shift. Something felt like it had cut loose internally.