Quantcast

the gearbox thread

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
It's not a Lawwill, it's a true parallelogram linkage with the CC at the drive output (note the lack of chain tensioner). It won't need a brake linkage/floater.
it'll still want to brake jack without some linkage in there; the torque put on the axle link will want to extend the suspension (how bad or benign the effect would be i dont know, but thats what the forces will want to do). Traction would still be pretty good though.

and if it is in fact a true parallel linkage, thats pretty much a waste IMO; a concentric cantelever type would deliver the same result with most likely less weight and better stiffness.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Not much info talk about GT's bike now second year runing. Don't know if they made any changes for 2007 besides color and specs.
that bike is way underated, dont think it's getting it's due (maybe it's the non-DH geo?). I really like the layout, and it looks like they simplified the swingarm?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Cool,now that you can see a full picture,best design yet I recon using the Suntour box. The axle path will be slightly rearward,not to disimiler to the front wheels path,a touch steeper.(Hard for me to tell cause my Mac doesn't like me holding bits of paper and pens up on the screen,and I can't be arsed getting pins and scissors and making a mini replica.
I like it.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Not much info talk about GT's bike now second year runing. Don't know if they made any changes for 2007 besides color and specs.

shortened and lowered it 'bout a quater inch. Which is just about what i'd like. Mine's a bit too high and long :(. But still glorious

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
it'll still want to brake jack without some linkage in there; the torque put on the axle link will want to extend the suspension (how bad or benign the effect would be i dont know, but thats what the forces will want to do). Traction would still be pretty good though.

and if it is in fact a true parallel linkage, thats pretty much a waste IMO; a concentric cantelever type would deliver the same result with most likely less weight and better stiffness.
Nah it won't, the axle link won't rotate at all relative to the front triangle (same deal as a parallelogram floating brake setup). The only effects on suspension compression/extension will be forwards weight shift due to acceleration, and the axle path (which is slightly rearwards and will want to induce some amount of squat).

I agree, it does seem like a bit of a waste, but who knows what their design priorities were.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Nah it won't, the axle link won't rotate at all relative to the front triangle (same deal as a parallelogram floating brake setup).
not true, a floater is more neutral in general because it pivots around the rear axle so is basically uncoupled from the suspension. Do some force calcs on the parallel "Lawill-esque" layout, that torque is still there, albeit much reduced (so the squat you mentioned may level it out).

my floater is setup almost like the divergeant Lawill linkages; the geometry improves traction over braking bumps but that high single pivot provides lotsa squat, add the two and the bike brakes level

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
shortened and lowered it 'bout a quater inch. Which is just about what i'd like. Mine's a bit too high and long :(. But still glorious
How's the Nexus held up?

07 looks like it has a trigger shifter...mas bueno.

Wish I had hookups at Pacific...

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
not true, a floater is more neutral in general because it pivots around the rear axle so is basically uncoupled from the suspension. Do some force calcs on the parallel "Lawill-esque" layout, that torque is still there, albeit much reduced (so the squat you mentioned may level it out).

my floater is setup almost like the divergeant Lawill linkages; the geometry improves traction over braking bumps but that high single pivot provides lotsa squat, add the two and the bike brakes level
The torque is still there on the axle link, but the compressive component exerted on the top link/swingarm will be canceled exactly by the extensive component exerted on the lower arm. It's the same principle; a couple moment generated ANYWHERE on the axle link will yield the same reaction. You should know this man, it's first-year statics stuff.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
How's the Nexus held up?

07 looks like it has a trigger shifter...mas bueno.

Wish I had hookups at Pacific...
nexus is great. Shifter a bit sketchy :(. I think when i get back to the states ill be replacing it with the trigger if i can find it aftermarket. Hookups are glorious :greedy:

metzy

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
Still plugging away with my bike, the gearbox seems to run pretty nicely, just a few more bits and she will be a runner.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
looks super.

very close layout to what i am working on.

how high is your pivot for bb?

how high is a lahar?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I have and it does track well. Do you have a racelink sandwich? Rides similer to that(slightly lower BB and different shock+links),the BMW is probably the closest feeling bike I've riden to compare too.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm sure it does, it's relatively similar to the racelink in design.

I was just curious as to if that dude had ridden one or if we was just playing make believe.

I'd love to own a lahar, they're a little slack and long for me though.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
I have rode a MK8 Lahar and am waiting on my 9.
They are one of the best bikes for racing in my opinion.The angles just mean that you need to go fast to make it better :brows:

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
generally a bmx freewheel.

but because the freewheel is at the crank you do not
have a gear ratio to multiply the number of of ratchets
as compaired the one revolution of your pedals, so
you have a larger lag where the pedel hits a ratchet.

making for a slow engagement point.

so, try and get the most number of clicks per single rotation
to get a good feel at the crank.

jeremyb

Monkey
Dec 3, 2004
Christchurch, New Zealand
generally a bmx freewheel.

but because the freewheel is at the crank you do not
have a gear ratio to multiply the number of of ratchets
as compaired the one revolution of your pedals, so
you have a larger lag where the pedel hits a ratchet.

making for a slow engagement point.

so, try and get the most number of clicks per single rotation
to get a good feel at the crank.
Thanks BCD, just need to figure out how to adapt one to a 32 or so tooth chainring and I'm half way there! :)

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Hi guys,

this is my 1st post here and i have a question about the following..directed primarily at thatflyinfatman and Aaron from lahar
sorry to go back to this

Hey Aaron, is Dodds' bike using a positive or negative output gearing? Because if it's a negative gearing, he could actually multiply the braking power... and obviously if it's a positive gearing, the reverse is true.

so say i have a onboard rotor, of diameter say 150mm.
i want to increace the power of the rear brake.

As with Metzys rig the input sprocket is fixed to the disc, so to multiply the braking power do i have the larger sprocket at the rear wheel, or one smaller that the input?

i know this has been discussed before but as i read the post quoted above and Aarons reply, they seemed to have contradicted as i read it, unless im missing something.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
With an onboard rotor, if the drive sprocket is bigger than the wheel sprocket then I guess braking power would be reduced by that ratio. It's another reason it's too bad we can't use a small front sprocket like mx bikes.

This thread just cracked 20,000 views!

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
holy bar height on that diamond back, must be 45 or more.

and soon as prices are reasonable I am getting a gearbox bike!