Quantcast

the gearbox thread

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
Ok, I didn’t know about the 2 position shock mount. What i2i shock are you guys running. I put a 222mm on there. I couldn’t imagine it needing a 215mm just because the leverage ratio would be so high.
now that i think about it... i short shocked mine years ago w/ a 2.5 x 8 .5 to lower things a bit. Stock was 2.75 x 8.875 for 9" travel (claimed), so perhaps your numbers aren't out of order.

beginning leverage ratio IS fairly aggressive; aaron claimed about 4.2 beginning, leveling to around 2.5. had me questioning my spring rate as it's so ridiculously plush off the top.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Ok, I didn’t know about the 2 position shock mount. What i2i shock are you guys running. I put a 222mm on there. I couldn’t imagine it needing a 215mm just because the leverage ratio would be so high.
I have the standard DHX out the now as Ive put in a EXT which actually is slightly longer than the standard one but it rides better as its a better shock.

Ill measure them at the weekend when i get a chance.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Thanks guys! That works out pretty good then because I have a nice 215mm i2i Ohlins shock sitting around. Can one of you measure your top tube? Mine feels like a short one.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Thanks guys! That works out pretty good then because I have a nice 215mm i2i Ohlins shock sitting around. Can one of you measure your top tube? Mine feels like a short one.
They are short compared to what modern bikes are now, Ohlins would be a nice upgrade over the Fox.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
In the latest Joe Barnes/Dukes of Hazzard Youtube vid they've somehow found a Lahar

1662693352487.png

Jump to about 6:00 mark for some quality retro gearbox slapping

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Those aren’t wool socks.
Wool socks are for cyclocross only

Also in that pic the BB defo doesn't look 375mm. I know pics lie but it looks normal and not like a VP-Free.

@konastab01 looks like a really fun trip. Just the right amount of slippery to be either kinda fun sliding around or give you too much confidence and end in a crash.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Wool socks are for cyclocross only

Also in that pic the BB defo doesn't look 375mm. I know pics lie but it looks normal and not like a VP-Free.

@konastab01 looks like a really fun trip. Just the right amount of slippery to be either kinda fun sliding around or give you too much confidence and end in a crash.
Yeah was a really fun trip although wasn't featured was the i had a chain malfunction on the race line at dyfi on the last day and had a big stack. By the last day i was really up to speed and then that happened! Oh well

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah was a really fun trip although wasn't featured was the i had a chain malfunction on the race line at dyfi on the last day and had a big stack. By the last day i was really up to speed and then that happened! Oh well
A chain blocked your drivetrain or how did it cause you to crash? Really want to visit Dyfi. It's just traveling to UK with a bike is a PITA for me so won't happen soon when the alps are way closer.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
A chain blocked your drivetrain or how did it cause you to crash? Really want to visit Dyfi. It's just traveling to UK with a bike is a PITA for me so won't happen soon when the alps are way closer.
The chain tensioner snapped, then I went to pedal and it got jammed up and brought me to a standstill at about 20mph. Got a sore yin and luckily didn’t break anything.

Dyfi if I’m honest wasn’t great if your not into big jumps, the best track was race line but even then its just a bit bike parky and not that fun. Joe has miles better stuff in FW and some other riding parts in scotland.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Is this from 77 designs? I remember they had some "risky" ideas for how lightweight a stem should be.
Yep, they have a full video series on the development of the non-gearbox version. Well worth a watch if you can tolerate the German.
Their risky lightweight stem is the one used in the WAO combo discussed elsewhere on here.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yep, they have a full video series on the development of the non-gearbox version. Well worth a watch if you can tolerate the German.
Their risky lightweight stem is the one used in the WAO combo discussed elsewhere on here.
What's WAO?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The chain tensioner snapped, then I went to pedal and it got jammed up and brought me to a standstill at about 20mph. Got a sore yin and luckily didn’t break anything.

Dyfi if I’m honest wasn’t great if your not into big jumps, the best track was race line but even then its just a bit bike parky and not that fun. Joe has miles better stuff in FW and some other riding parts in scotland.
Well I suck a massive D at jumping so yeah. A bummer to hear that.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Im ok at tabletops and small doubles, but get the absolute fear at big stuff these days.
Yeah I lost that childish belief that I will land all the jumps. I need to do more dirt jumping again as that helped me in the past. Too bad we no longer have an indoor park for winter training

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yeah I lost that childish belief that I will land all the jumps. I need to do more dirt jumping again as that helped me in the past. Too bad we no longer have an indoor park for winter training
I found the opposite. going to the dirt jumps gave me enough "skill" to get myself in trouble on the DH trails... I blame my time at the pump track/DJ set on my dirt jumper for giving me the impression I could clear the jumps when I wound up breaking my back... (I'm fully aware this is all mental, but a scapegoat is nice)

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Usually when I eat it jumping it's because I was sending the trail blind. Always walk the line and scope it out is what I learned, the hard way, a couple times.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah I lost that childish belief that I will land all the jumps.
You are absolutely guaranteed to land from all jumps.

Usually when I eat it jumping it's because I was sending the trail blind. Always walk the line and scope it out is what I learned, the hard way, a couple times.
We have a local legal jump trail near us built and maintained by council contractors. The spacing and length of the jumps varies so much that every weekend there's a few bad crashes there. The council reckons they need to tone it down, ignoring all comments that they just need to employ a competent builder.

Nothing like a series of jumps that are like "sprint and pull, boost, squash or die, boost, boost, then a random hip into a corner without a berm..."