Quantcast

The genius of Apple

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Serial Midget, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Serial Midget

Serial Midget Al Bundy

Rep/Likes:
    130 / 1,353
    My first experience with Apple was in 1981 when I was in the 9th grade; our school had a computer lab with a full fleet of Apple II computers that took commands from cassette tapes. I did not find them the least bit interesting as the process was very slow... My TI35 did all my math work much faster.

Fast forward to last month when my parents camed to visit last month armed with iPhones and iPads. I found this surprising since my recently retired father's career involved mainframe computer programming for Locheed, United Airlines, Boeing and Covea. I asked him about their decision to go full on Apple and was surprised - he chose the iPad because he has never has any use for a personal computer. He is no longer creating or analyzing things, he is only in acquiring information in the easiest possible way.

So this last weekend I bought my fist Apple product - the basic edition iPad with WiFi and AT&T should I choose to use it. I like it because it's small and ridiculously to use. I don't feel cool enough to pimp the white so I got a black one. It's the only decision I've had to make.

Dumbing down is good. :)

Please register to disable this ad.

2. valve bouncer

valve bouncer Master Dildoist

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 16
    Yeah I entered the applesphere last week and got my son a wi-fi only I-pad. Weird world that applesphere though I must say the machine itself is pretty impressive.

3. H8R

H8R Cranky Pants

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 4
    syadasti in 3....2...1....

4. Serial Midget

Serial Midget Al Bundy

Rep/Likes:
    130 / 1,353
    I'm convinced a 4 year old could operate one without any directions.

5. homepiece

homepiece Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    My 4 year old has been using one for the last year and a half. It is amazing how fast young kids can pick up how to use the ipad.

6. local717

local717 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 13
    My 2 year old knows how to use an iPhone... She can navigate between different games or pictures and videos.

7. Pesqueeb

Pesqueeb bicycle in airplane hangar

Rep/Likes:
    437 / 3,179

8. Polandspring88

Polandspring88 Superman

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I bought apple products because now I can be unique. That and their logo is cool. What more could I ask for?

9. eaterofdog

eaterofdog ass grabber

Rep/Likes:
    12 / 22
    Bring on the greybeard whining. Whine like it's 1999.

10. mandown

mandown Poopdeck Repost

Rep/Likes:
    275 / 1,021
    I don't like table saws because they limit the types of cuts I can make. Nothing but fast, straight, and even cuts. I'll take a good old hand saw so I can cut at the rate I want to cut, and I'm free to personalize my cuts with my own signature angles wherever I feel like placing them (even though I mostly try to make straight cuts). Table saws are for lazy simpletons.

11. kickstand

kickstand Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    44 / 390
    I don't mind apple products, I hate apple users they kinda remind me of 29er guys around here

12. jimmydean

jimmydean The Official Meat of Ridemonkey

Rep/Likes:
    174 / 1,529
    This.

My daughter has been using my Linux desktop since she was 5. She got a Windows 7 computer for school and hated it. She said the desktop didn't make sense and was SO SLOW! I am building a new Linux box next weekend to replace the old as hell single core AMD that gave up the ghost.

I will get a Nexus 7 in a month or so.

13. bdamschen

bdamschen Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 36
    Heck yes. I rocked apple products since forever. At work we're all microsoft all the time and it works well for what we do. At home I don't need anything but web browsing, email and looking a pretty media and a macbook works great there. No hassle, fast and clean. If I want to get crazy, I've got bsd sitting just under the hood.

Mobile though- Android 100%. I love how I can pull all sorts of information through google's cloud services. I've got all my music on google music, I've got google maps with latitude to find my friends, gmail, voice search, all my contacts and calendaring up. Google could take over the world (and home computing market for that matter) and I'd be perfectly happy.

14. stevew

stevew unique white person

Rep/Likes:
    249 / 2,354
    arguing about technology...gheyer than arguing about politics.

15. ICEBALL585

ICEBALL585 Bacontard

Rep/Likes:
    83 / 689
    ^^^^^^^^^

That.

16. syadasti

syadasti i heart mac

Rep/Likes:
    64 / 291
    Even the Apple fanboy in chief, Walter Mossberg, declared it a winner:

17. Sandwich

Sandwich Pig my fish!
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    68 / 831
    My ipad's safari browser crashes twice an evening (2 hours of use).

I can't load my 30gb music collection into itunes without it crashing 7 times. takes 2.5 hours.

It also still can't play flash. Where's my f*cking html5 that's going to come blow the pants off me?

18. HardtailHack

HardtailHack used an iron once

Rep/Likes:
    12 / 131
    When they have a card reader in the iPad I will buy one, this is not convenient-

If it doesn't have a card reader why not use an inductive charger and make the sucker waterproof?

I like the way they streamline things, but Apple do seem a bit like dictators at times.

19. kidwoo

kidwoo Celebrating No-Pants Day

Rep/Likes:
    158 / 1,508
    Otherwise known as 'just working'

20. kazlx

kazlx Patches O'Houlihan

Rep/Likes:
    150 / 1,291
    Can't please everyone all the time....and there's always the possibility it's not the arrow, it's the Indian...

21. Sandwich

Sandwich Pig my fish!
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    68 / 831
    definitely my fault. surfing reddit and ridemonkey are really taxing on a mobile device designed for surfing reddit and ridemonkey. And an item of computer software that's designed to allow you to add a folder of music but doesn't actually do so without crashing is definitely user error as well. It's probably because microsoft designed such a bloated, redundant and overcomplicated piece of software in windows media player that it takes 5 minutes to add all of my music to the library in that software, without crashing.

Goddamned user errors!

I get the one-button mafia, but it's not all it's cracked up to be.

22. boogenman

boogenman Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 114

23. kazlx

kazlx Patches O'Houlihan

Rep/Likes:
    150 / 1,291
    I use both. It's not like I have a hard on for everything Apple, but there may be reasons that certain things don't work for you. Other than that, it's a Coke v Pepsi or Ford v Chevy debate.

One thing I definitely notice about Apple stuff is make sure everything is up to date. Install all updates and reset the device or restore it. Nothing is ever going to be flawless, especially when it comes to computers...

24. syadasti

syadasti i heart mac

Rep/Likes:
    64 / 291
    Apple has to make 7" tablet in response to the Nexus 7 as people have rumored. There is no way in hell the masses are going to pay double for similar functionality (the larger screen is about the only real advantage and that depends on user needs/preferences vs one hand operation - the rear camera is redundant since a majority of the demographic owns smartphones which are used much more often than rear cameras on tablets). If Apple puts a 7 out this Fall I bet they'll go for the $299 pricepoint vs the $249 for the Nexus 7 16GB...

#24 -   Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  25. buildyourown

buildyourown Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0

That is Apple's core business model. Look at every product Apple makes and you can go out and find a better device for less money. When it comes to laptops and desktops, you can find way better devices for 1/2 the price.

26. MMike

MMike A fowl peckerwood.

Rep/Likes:
    61 / 84
    My only complaint is itunes.

I have an iphone and ipad, and a Dell laptop. I've not worked on an apple computer since my Apple II+ when I was 13 or 14. I am very much a windows guy when working. But I would not be opposed to a Mac if someone gave it to me.

Not sure how things like Solidworks would respond to it.....

27. jimmydean

jimmydean The Official Meat of Ridemonkey

Rep/Likes:
    174 / 1,529
    This.

Not to mention to article syadasti posted about the Apple Store Employee pay scale and perks packages. :rofl:

28. Jeremy R

Jeremy R <b>x</b>

Rep/Likes:
    43 / 372
    I was pretty much amazed at this late last year when I shopped thoroughly for a high powered laptop. I went into it open minded with my main need for it to be powerful enough to quickly process and render HD video. The Macbook Pro does get good reviews and I expected it to be more expensive than a similar windows 7 model, but the price difference was insane. I ended up buying a totally loaded HP laptop for right over $900 and to build up a similar Macbook was going to cost $2100. No thanks. And my laptop works great as well.

29. syadasti

syadasti i heart mac

Rep/Likes:
    64 / 291
    Actually most of their products are pretty competitive these days if you match the specs. Similar size android tablets with lower resolution screens go for the same price as the current iPad.

Also in case you didn't notice smartphones marketshare is dominated by the cheaper android options. iOS has fallen far behind. I doubt Apple wants a repeat in the tablet market.

#29 -   Jul 18, 2012
  30. bizutch

bizutch Delicate CUSTOM flower

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 8
    ...but you won't get rep at the local bistro when wifi'ing. Do u really want raised eyebrows when you log on?

31. TN

TN Hey baby, want a hot dog?

Rep/Likes:
    99 / 907
    I am hating the shift between Apple making great gear for creative professionals to great gear for your average consumer. I understand it is a good bidness move on their part but the MBP are weak as well as the 'new' Power Macs.

32. syadasti

syadasti i heart mac

Rep/Likes:
    64 / 291
    Glossy Retina displays with no post purchase upgrade options for all!

33. Sandwich

Sandwich Pig my fish!
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    68 / 831
    b-but the pixels????

34. norbar

norbar Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 280
    I'd rather wait for the nexus (for price and google stuff) or MS Surface Win8 version for keyboard, stand and being like a bastard child between a tabled and an ultrabook but if you want apps iPad is the way to go.

Though to be honest I always found ipad too big and useless without a stand. No flash is also a PITA. It's also not like the laptop market where portable competition offerings that are reliable and of high build quality are as expensive as apple (samsung 9 ffs) so you can get cheaper alternatives (Nexus being one). Though looking rumored MS Surface pricing it won't be that for long.

35. TN

TN Hey baby, want a hot dog?

Rep/Likes:
    99 / 907
    really interested in making a Hack-mini or a full blown Hackintosh with as many cores as i can cram into it (for my 3d renders).

36. norbar

norbar Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 280
    I never understood that term. Is that you buy a pc and instal iOS or the other way around?

37. syadasti

syadasti i heart mac

Rep/Likes:
    64 / 291
    No you install OSX on it.

38. syadasti

syadasti i heart mac

Rep/Likes:
    64 / 291
  39. norbar

norbar Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 280
    I remember someone commented on that on wired podcast - not supporting doesn't mean you can't install it. Acording to them it should still be quite easy.

As for buying a regular pc/laptop and instaling OSX I kinda find it strange. Yes you get more but for 3D renders what differance does it make what OS you have?

40. syadasti

syadasti i heart mac

Rep/Likes:
    64 / 291
    I'm not sure about 3D (likely similar) but GPU accelerated software support on the PC is far better. They are a few years behind on OSX for example VLC only has VDA support in its beta versions in the past few months - this guy started guides for GPU accelerated Windows videoplayers back in 2008. Adobe has had better GPU support in their professional software on the PC for years now too.

10.6.3 added VDA support:
    https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#technotes/tn2267/_index.html
    http://github.com/dilaroga/ffmpeg-vda/wiki
    http://feepk.net/vda-decoder-support

#40 -   Jul 18, 2012