Quantcast

The genius of Apple

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My first experience with Apple was in 1981 when I was in the 9th grade; our school had a computer lab with a full fleet of Apple II computers that took commands from cassette tapes. I did not find them the least bit interesting as the process was very slow... My TI35 did all my math work much faster.

Fast forward to last month when my parents camed to visit last month armed with iPhones and iPads. I found this surprising since my recently retired father's career involved mainframe computer programming for Locheed, United Airlines, Boeing and Covea. I asked him about their decision to go full on Apple and was surprised - he chose the iPad because he has never has any use for a personal computer. He is no longer creating or analyzing things, he is only in acquiring information in the easiest possible way.

So this last weekend I bought my fist Apple product - the basic edition iPad with WiFi and AT&T should I choose to use it. I like it because it's small and ridiculously to use. I don't feel cool enough to pimp the white so I got a black one. It's the only decision I've had to make.

Dumbing down is good. :)

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Yeah I entered the applesphere last week and got my son a wi-fi only I-pad. Weird world that applesphere though I must say the machine itself is pretty impressive.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I don't like table saws because they limit the types of cuts I can make. Nothing but fast, straight, and even cuts. I'll take a good old hand saw so I can cut at the rate I want to cut, and I'm free to personalize my cuts with my own signature angles wherever I feel like placing them (even though I mostly try to make straight cuts). Table saws are for lazy simpletons.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't like table saws because they limit the types of cuts I can make. Nothing but fast, straight, and even cuts. I'll take a good old hand saw so I can cut at the rate I want to cut, and I'm free to personalize my cuts with my own signature angles wherever I feel like placing them (even though I mostly try to make straight cuts). Table saws are for lazy simpletons.
This.

My daughter has been using my Linux desktop since she was 5. She got a Windows 7 computer for school and hated it. She said the desktop didn't make sense and was SO SLOW! I am building a new Linux box next weekend to replace the old as hell single core AMD that gave up the ghost.

I will get a Nexus 7 in a month or so.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Heck yes. I rocked apple products since forever. At work we're all microsoft all the time and it works well for what we do. At home I don't need anything but web browsing, email and looking a pretty media and a macbook works great there. No hassle, fast and clean. If I want to get crazy, I've got bsd sitting just under the hood.

Mobile though- Android 100%. I love how I can pull all sorts of information through google's cloud services. I've got all my music on google music, I've got google maps with latitude to find my friends, gmail, voice search, all my contacts and calendaring up. Google could take over the world (and home computing market for that matter) and I'd be perfectly happy.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
arguing about technology...gheyer than arguing about politics.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Even the Apple fanboy in chief, Walter Mossberg, declared it a winner:

Tired of watching in frustration as its popular Android mobile operating system failed to make much of a dent in the tablet market, Google GOOG +0.25% is stepping in next week with an Android tablet it helped design. It's the Nexus 7, a $199 model with a 7-inch screen. And in my view, it's a winner.

After testing the Nexus 7 for a couple of weeks, I consider it the best Android tablet I've used. It's a serious alternative to both Apple's AAPL +0.19% larger $499 iPad and to a more direct rival: Amazon's $199, Android-based, 7-inch Kindle Fire. I prefer the Nexus 7 to 7-inch models from Google partners like Samsung, 005930.SE +1.39% whose comparable product costs $250.

The new Google tablet doesn't have all the features of the iPad. For instance, it lacks a cellular connectivity option, a rear camera and the iPad's dazzling screen resolution. Its base model has half the memory of the iPad's. It offers fewer content choices—music, movies, TV shows—than either the Apple or Amazon devices do. It also has very few apps designed for a tablet, as opposed to a phone, while the iPad boasts over 200,000 apps for tablet use. And its screen area is less than half the size of the iPad's.

But Google's tablet is a better choice than the iPad for people on a budget; for those who prefer a lighter, more compact tablet that's easier to carry and operate with one hand; and for those who prefer Google's ecosystem of apps, services and content to Apple's.

Despite some drawbacks, I found it a pleasure to use.

The Nexus 7 even includes an artificial-intelligence feature, following in the path of Apple's much-touted Siri [correction - continuing Google's lead - Google Voice actions is older than DARPA's Siri - Apple didn't design SIRI either]. It answers some spoken questions, like Siri does. But it also presents a screen, called Google Now, with information it considers relevant to you at your present location and time—like the weather, traffic conditions between home and work, your next calendar appointment, and information for flights you've been researching.

The Nexus 7 also carries an unusual distinction: It's the first tablet I've tested that beats the iPad in my standard battery test. It lasted over 10 hours, about 45 minutes more than the latest iPad.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My ipad's safari browser crashes twice an evening (2 hours of use).

I can't load my 30gb music collection into itunes without it crashing 7 times. takes 2.5 hours.

It also still can't play flash. Where's my f*cking html5 that's going to come blow the pants off me?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
When they have a card reader in the iPad I will buy one, this is not convenient-

If it doesn't have a card reader why not use an inductive charger and make the sucker waterproof?

I like the way they streamline things, but Apple do seem a bit like dictators at times.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Can't please everyone all the time....and there's always the possibility it's not the arrow, it's the Indian...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
definitely my fault. surfing reddit and ridemonkey are really taxing on a mobile device designed for surfing reddit and ridemonkey. And an item of computer software that's designed to allow you to add a folder of music but doesn't actually do so without crashing is definitely user error as well. It's probably because microsoft designed such a bloated, redundant and overcomplicated piece of software in windows media player that it takes 5 minutes to add all of my music to the library in that software, without crashing.

Goddamned user errors!

I get the one-button mafia, but it's not all it's cracked up to be.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I use both. It's not like I have a hard on for everything Apple, but there may be reasons that certain things don't work for you. Other than that, it's a Coke v Pepsi or Ford v Chevy debate.

One thing I definitely notice about Apple stuff is make sure everything is up to date. Install all updates and reset the device or restore it. Nothing is ever going to be flawless, especially when it comes to computers...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Apple has to make 7" tablet in response to the Nexus 7 as people have rumored. There is no way in hell the masses are going to pay double for similar functionality (the larger screen is about the only real advantage and that depends on user needs/preferences vs one hand operation - the rear camera is redundant since a majority of the demographic owns smartphones which are used much more often than rear cameras on tablets). If Apple puts a 7 out this Fall I bet they'll go for the $299 pricepoint vs the $249 for the Nexus 7 16GB...

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
There is no way in hell the masses are going to pay double for similar functionality .

That is Apple's core business model. Look at every product Apple makes and you can go out and find a better device for less money. When it comes to laptops and desktops, you can find way better devices for 1/2 the price.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
My only complaint is itunes.

I have an iphone and ipad, and a Dell laptop. I've not worked on an apple computer since my Apple II+ when I was 13 or 14. I am very much a windows guy when working. But I would not be opposed to a Mac if someone gave it to me.

Not sure how things like Solidworks would respond to it.....

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That is Apple's core business model. Look at every product Apple makes and you can go out and find a better device for less money. When it comes to laptops and desktops, you can find way better devices for 1/2 the price.
This.

Not to mention to article syadasti posted about the Apple Store Employee pay scale and perks packages. :rofl:

Apple Store Employee of the Month said:
I make dick, but I am surrounded by the prettiest toys in the world!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I was pretty much amazed at this late last year when I shopped thoroughly for a high powered laptop. I went into it open minded with my main need for it to be powerful enough to quickly process and render HD video. The Macbook Pro does get good reviews and I expected it to be more expensive than a similar windows 7 model, but the price difference was insane. I ended up buying a totally loaded HP laptop for right over $900 and to build up a similar Macbook was going to cost $2100. No thanks. And my laptop works great as well.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Actually most of their products are pretty competitive these days if you match the specs. Similar size android tablets with lower resolution screens go for the same price as the current iPad.

Also in case you didn't notice smartphones marketshare is dominated by the cheaper android options. iOS has fallen far behind. I doubt Apple wants a repeat in the tablet market.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I was pretty much amazed at this late last year when I shopped thoroughly for a high powered laptop. I went into it open minded with my main need for it to be powerful enough to quickly process and render HD video. The Macbook Pro does get good reviews and I expected it to be more expensive than a similar windows 7 model, but the price difference was insane. I ended up buying a totally loaded HP laptop for right over $900 and to build up a similar Macbook was going to cost $2100. No thanks. And my laptop works great as well.
...but you won't get rep at the local bistro when wifi'ing. Do u really want raised eyebrows when you log on?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I am hating the shift between Apple making great gear for creative professionals to great gear for your average consumer. I understand it is a good bidness move on their part but the MBP are weak as well as the 'new' Power Macs.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I am hating the shift between Apple making great gear for creative professionals to great gear for your average consumer. I understand it is a good bidness move on their part but the MBP are weak as well as the 'new' Power Macs.
Glossy Retina displays with no post purchase upgrade options for all!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'd rather wait for the nexus (for price and google stuff) or MS Surface Win8 version for keyboard, stand and being like a bastard child between a tabled and an ultrabook but if you want apps iPad is the way to go.

Though to be honest I always found ipad too big and useless without a stand. No flash is also a PITA. It's also not like the laptop market where portable competition offerings that are reliable and of high build quality are as expensive as apple (samsung 9 ffs) so you can get cheaper alternatives (Nexus being one). Though looking rumored MS Surface pricing it won't be that for long.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
really interested in making a Hack-mini or a full blown Hackintosh with as many cores as i can cram into it (for my 3d renders).

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
really interested in making a Hack-mini or a full blown Hackintosh with as many cores as i can cram into it (for my 3d renders).
I never understood that term. Is that you buy a pc and instal iOS or the other way around?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Adobe won't officially support flash in android 4.1 (this means Nexus 7 - first with 4.1 stock) but I am sure there will be unofficial workarounds:

http://siliconangle.com/blog/2012/06/29/flash-dies-with-nexus-7-android-4-1-jelly-bean/
I remember someone commented on that on wired podcast - not supporting doesn't mean you can't install it. Acording to them it should still be quite easy.

As for buying a regular pc/laptop and instaling OSX I kinda find it strange. Yes you get more but for 3D renders what differance does it make what OS you have?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
As for buying a regular pc/laptop and instaling OSX I kinda find it strange. Yes you get more but for 3D renders what differance does it make what OS you have?
I'm not sure about 3D (likely similar) but GPU accelerated software support on the PC is far better. They are a few years behind on OSX for example VLC only has VDA support in its beta versions in the past few months - this guy started guides for GPU accelerated Windows videoplayers back in 2008. Adobe has had better GPU support in their professional software on the PC for years now too.

10.6.3 added VDA support:
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#technotes/tn2267/_index.html
http://github.com/dilaroga/ffmpeg-vda/wiki
http://feepk.net/vda-decoder-support

Last edited: