The genius of Apple

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yawn @ the announcements.

Same camera.

Similar screen, just taller.

It's better performance for similar battery life... but it's still similar battery life.

Turn-by-turn & tab syncing finally added to iOS 6. Whoopee, thanks for catching up.

The only thing that looks pretty nice is the wireless radios. a/g/b/n dual band, and a smorgasbord of cellular connectivity options (1x/edge/cdma/hsdpa/hsdpa21/hsdpa42/lte). I wish more cell phones had a universal chipset like this to support all of the major carriers.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
it'll be interesting to see if the frothers buy it en mass again, or if people will actually not waste their time buying something that's been out for a year?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Honestly it may seem small but I'm pretty happy they have free turn by turn directions now. It maybe the last straw that broke my Android back......

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
it'll be interesting to see if the frothers buy it en mass again, or if people will actually not waste their time buying something that's been out for a year?
Of course it'll sell. New form factor, thinner and lighter, with LTE? It's going to sell.

I don't think it's a bad upgrade, actually, it's just not worth all the hype/press surrounding it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Honestly it may seem small but I'm pretty happy they have free turn by turn directions now. It maybe the last straw that broke my Android back......

Apples turn by turn is gonna be inferior to googles for a loooooooooooong time. Big G has been putting more into their mapping systems for a lot longer, and its all in house. Apple had to buy another company to get the data they needed.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Of course it'll sell. New form factor, thinner and lighter, with LTE? It's going to sell.

I don't think it's a bad upgrade, actually, it's just not worth all the hype/press surrounding it.
but will it sell in the same droves as the other crap apple slams out? will hipsters and old people view it as necessary?

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I will probably be getting one. Not because it's a big upgrade, but because I'm out of contract, I don't tend to trust phones after a couple years, and I'll be giving my old one to my brother so he can give his old one to another of our brothers. The updated features aren't ground breaking, but they are meaningful.

I was going to compare with the Lumia 920, but that's not going to be available for a while longer yet, and it's not clear yet that it will be coming to Verizon.

Android has nothing that interests me.

So I guess this is it.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
iPhone 4S here using the Waze app for free turn by turn. it can be a bit buggy, but it does the job most of the time.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
God my fb feed makes me sad. There is more of a differance betwen 911's bodies than between the 4S and 5. People will buy it anyway. I wonder if people would have bought it even if all what's new was that the apple boys can rape your dog.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I'm with bean. I'll be getting one, but just because mine is a couple years old already and I'm out of contract.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
im glad ill be able to keep my unlimited data if i get a new phone and itll be throttled at 5gb, not 3gb.

still no surprise

Apple's iPads hold a commanding 68 percent of the tablet market, Cook revealed, up from 62 percent from this time last year.
As for sales, 84 million iPads have sold through June 2012. Last quarter alone, 17 million iPads were picked up by Apple customers...
"Now to put this in perspective, we sold more iPads than any PC manufacturer sold of their entire lineup, Cook said.
iPads account for 91 percent of all web traffic...
http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/tim-cook-apple-sold-84-million-ipads-through-june-2012-1096689

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
hoping the iphone4 will be super cheap so my ol lady can get that. the 3gs (2gen old) is $.99 now an i see the 4s will be $100 when this new one comes out.
too bad she cant piggyback onto my unlimited data but ill still get my 33% discount

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
how many models is android running on again?
Same thing Apple did with PCs vs. Microsoft Windows and the various other OEMs. It worked for awhile and then they faded to nothing until Microsoft themselves bailed them out and they switched focus to consumer electronics.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/08/08/opinion/the-apple-of-microsoft-s-eye.html

Even in cyberspace, the moment can only be described as surreal. Two thousand Apple computer loyalists greet the return of their hero and Apple co-founder, Steven Jobs, at a Boston trade show, only to gasp as the looming picture of Apple's archenemy, Bill Gates of Microsoft, appears on a huge on-stage screen. It was Mr. Gates, after all, who copied Apple's visionary point-and-click system of computer commands, marketed it far more aggressively and successfully, and drove Apple to near-collapse.

Mr. Gates and Mr. Jobs announced that Microsoft would inject more than $150 million into Apple and take other steps to guarantee Apple's near-term survival. Some Apple zealots in the audience hooted. Others sighed in relief. Virtually all were surprised and confused. Even in cyberspace it is odd for one company to bail out its only rival in a key area of business. Between them, Microsoft and Apple sell the operating systems, which dictate how computers analyze and display information, that run virtually every personal computer...

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Same thing Apple did with PCs vs. Microsoft Windows and the various other OEMs. It worked for awhile and then they faded to nothing until they switched focus to consumer electronics.
so how many was that again?

the iphone will fade away you are saying?

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
so how many was that again?

the iphone will fade away you are saying?
Apple had about 15% of the PC market in the early 80s it dropped to as low as 2% (and in the late 90s MS bailed them out) and didn't start to grow significantly until it changed focus and developed synergies with their consumer electronics in the mid 2000s.

Being a single vendor of your OS and hardware is a strategy but it doesn't guarantee anything. Note that during the marketshare bump in the mid 1990s Apple allowed legal clones (does not show Apple share prior to the Mac but Apple was around 15% in 1980)...

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Somehow I doubt Apple is on re-run road. They may not keep a nut grip like they currently have, but they won't be going anywhere soon.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
With the exception of over-priced 2009 5-spots, iPhones are clearly the least desirable products on the market these days.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I'm with bean. I'll be getting one, but just because mine is a couple years old already and I'm out of contract.
Why not the new Lumia 920 which looks kickass and will be easily synchronized with your pc's? Yes it is a bit unproven for now but it pushes the technology much further.

Also HTC will be unveiling their phone soon. Even if their version of android is **** I'm pretty sure the hardware will be much better and cyanogen mod can solve all your problems.

Worse case scenario why not save some money and get the 4S. It's the same phone. You will pay much more for a very small upgrade.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
You obviously can own an Apple product because you like it without being a fan boi, just the same as you can't not own one and denounce how they are garbage, everything else is better and it's just a rip off of everything before it.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Being a single vendor of your OS and hardware is a strategy but it doesn't guarantee anything. Note that during the marketshare bump in the mid 1990s Apple allowed legal clones (does not show Apple share prior to the Mac but apple was around 15% in 1980)...
you didnt answer my question. again
IOS is running on a handful of skus and sold 400million units. android is running on countless sku's and sold 100million more. big deal

no fancy graphs to share or old threads to dig up?

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Why not the new Nokia Lumia 920 which looks kickass and will be easily synchronized with your pc's? Yes it is a bit unproven for now but it pushes the technology much further.

Also HTC will be unveiling their phone soon. Even if their version of android is **** I'm pretty sure the hardware will be much better and cyanogen mod can solve all your problems.

Worse case scenario why not save some money and get the 4S. It's the same phone. You will pay much more for a very small upgrade.
That's why.

And FWIW, a $100 is worth it to me. When I'm paying $60/month for smartphone service, why would I buy older technology to save $100? There's plenty of other things that cost a C-note that won't last a fraction of the time the use I will get out of a brand new iPhone 5.

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
oh noes, not everyone likes teh exact same things, so the thing i like is possibly worthless!!! quick, somebody loan me a fvck so i can look like i give one.

i need to go buy the "right" electronic device to prove my worth to teh world, so i get eaten last by the zombies but also get priority boarding at the pearly gates.

how is this thread still on wheels?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You obviously can own an Apple product because you like it without being a fan boi, just the same as you can't not own one and denounce how they are garbage, everything else is better and it's just a rip off of everything before it.
I got my first Apple in 1985, used various flavors of II and Macs throughout school, owned an Newton 120 in HS, supported them in various IT jobs which require ownership (I still have a Mac Mini PPC 2005 but its no longer used), and I currently own an Intel Mac in addition to various PCs. So what you really mean is that you have no idea what you are talking about so all you can do is throw insults like a monkey in cage.

The former head of Apple R&D and world marketing agrees with me (and the engineer founder of Apple has made several statements in line too). Are you saying you have a better picture of things than Jean and Steve did as senior technical executives at Apple, nope:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/sep/03/apple-invented-anything

P.S. I was also a beta tester of Jean's BeOS which was better than NeXT at the time.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
That's why.

And FWIW, a $100 is worth it to me. When I'm paying $60/month for smartphone service, why would I buy older technology to save $100? There's plenty of other things that cost a C-note that won't last a fraction of the time the use I will get out of a brand new iPhone 5.
It's good I suggested buying a Nokia phone not Nokia shares.. You buy a product, not a company so if it's superior why does it matter who makes it?

Also will the 4S will really be only 100$ cheaper than the 5? The same payment plan and it's only 100$ cheaper? I doubt it.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Newsflash...Everything in the modern world is basically built on the shoulders of something/someone else. All you do is post articles that you think support your opinion, which is just like everyone else has...an opinion. They sell a ****load of product, so they are doing something right, with users that are perfectly happy about it, yet somehow, there are quite a few haters, like yourself, that feel the need to denounce them for whatever reason.

Do I give an F that you used a Mac in 1985? Not at all. Does that have any bearing on Apple's R&D, sales, or anything else? Not a damn thing. So congratulations on the red herring.

My only point, which is the same point that I have mentioned in this thread multiple times....is that you can like what they sell and buy it...or not and don't buy it. The beauty of a free market. It gets old hearing about Sheeple, blah, blah, blah. Apple has no more or less following than any other corporation like Ford and Chevy, Coke and Pepsi, except nobody debates about how Coke ripped off a bottle design from some XYZ company or is pissed off about why they use a propriety bottle cap design.

Buy it, don't buy it. I don't care. If the new Nokia gives you hard on, buy that. I don't care. Everyone wants to hate on Apple just because they are successful. I'm pretty sure if you were running a multi-billion dollar company, you would probably do a lot of crap that pisses people off too...but you aren't and nobody cares.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Also will the 4S will really be only 100$ cheaper than the 5? The same payment plan and it's only 100$ cheaper? I doubt it.
Same plans apply to both. It's really only $100 cheaper. Instead of the 4s you'd probably be better served going with the 4 which is free, and is more similar to the 4s than the 5.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Sorry I don't get you. Is the 99 vs 199$ not influencing the plan you can get? In here it does.
I don't know how it works where you are, but the phone cost and plan costs are two different, separate things. You buy the phone you want and buy the plan based on what you use/need for data/call time.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Yes, that is 100% how it works here. The 5 is really only $100 more than a 4S, regardless of which plan you get. Where you get screwed is if you are in contract and want to upgrade...say if you already have a 4S. They want to charge you full retail price for the new phone, which is like $600. I'm sure there are ways around it, but that's the rub.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Newsflash...Everything in the modern world is basically built on the shoulders of something/someone else. All you do is post articles that you think support your opinion, which is just like everyone else has...an opinion. They sell a ****load of product, so they are doing something right, with users that are perfectly happy about it, yet somehow, there are quite a few haters, like yourself, that feel the need to denounce them for whatever reason.

Do I give an F that you used a Mac in 1985? Not at all. Does that have any bearing on Apple's R&D, sales, or anything else? Not a damn thing. So congratulations on the red herring.

My only point, which is the same point that I have mentioned in this thread multiple times....is that you can like what they sell and buy it...or not and don't buy it. The beauty of a free market. It gets old hearing about Sheeple, blah, blah, blah. Apple has no more or less following than any other corporation like Ford and Chevy, Coke and Pepsi, except nobody debates about how Coke ripped off a bottle design from some XYZ company or is pissed off about why they use a propriety bottle cap design.

Buy it, don't buy it. I don't care. If the new Nokia gives you hard on, buy that. I don't care. Everyone wants to hate on Apple just because they are successful. I'm pretty sure if you were running a multi-billion dollar company, you would probably do a lot of crap that pisses people off too...but you aren't and nobody cares.
I'm not sure at which one of us you are angry at.

Same plans apply to both. It's really only $100 cheaper. Instead of the 4s you'd probably be better served going with the 4 which is free, and is more similar to the 4s than the 5.
4S has a better camera. It's useful for me. Not it's not for food photos. 4 is good enough for that. Still yeah if it's only 100$ difference than why not go for the 5. Still I'd wait for the new options from the competition.

One more question. Would you get a better plan with other "cheaper" phones (or no phone) or are they just free like the 4? Getting an older phone gives you MUCH better plans here.

Last edited: