Quantcast

the girl with the tireless bike

I saw this today, and remembered about this thread.

No tires, no handlebar and keeping it real.

2 boys about 8 years old riding their bikes to go to school, some places in the andes are so remote there is no covid there yet.

View attachment 148914

Ive seen a few tireless bikes over the years, and still try to help get a new bike when possible.
Can I kick in?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If it weren't so cost prohibitive, I have a bunch of old parts and a stack of old tires I'd ship down. Instead I'll toss a few bucks to whatever fund gets set up.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Was just thinking about this... tires, pump, tubes, parts, tools.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I thought this post was rad as hell 8 years ago when I saw it. 8 years later, now having a kid (almost 2) of my own, makes it hit that much harder.

Like others have said....please let us know what we can do to get these kids hooked up. Consider me chipped in.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Thanks to all guys for the support and ideas.

Am trying to figure out a way to work out the logistics. I wouldnt want to start collecting money and then take too long to deliver.

Most of the tireless bikes I´ve seen are used by kids in remote areas in the andes.
Communities are usually made up of a small village at the bottom of the mountains with 30-40 houses and a school, with 50-60 more families living in small farms within 2-4 miles, higher in the mountains.
The kids use the bikes to coast down to school from the mountains, and then push/pedal them back up at the end of the school day.

There are hundreds, maybe thousands of small villages like this scattered all over the andes.
Can take 3-4 hours driving to reach the nearest villages from Lima, and then 1-2 hours walking/pedalling to reach the actual farms where the kids live... but most of these villages are covid free and locked from the outside at the moment.

I will keep track of all the help offered and work out something nice for the kids as soon as possible/safe.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
In past years, we would normally call up in advance the major of the village and tell him we would be bringing some bikes/gifts.

1538668_10152175262366474_1366141455_n.jpg
549197_10152175262421474_1884472613_n.jpg

Because of covid, it would probably be not possible for at least 1 year... until vaccines are widely administered.

What do you guys suggest we can do now??

Drive up the mountains and give away (sanitized/alcohol sprayed) bikes to the first kids in tireless bikes I see down the road? I can buy some bikes and slap some sweet ridemonkey stickers on them.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
I don’t know how to help but since I’m a skeptic sob I like to see a direct relationship to donations given this seems like one of those opportunities, and even if this is something that takes a while to implement I would want to do something. Just keep us in the loop and I bet it will become something even if it’s a one time deal.