Quantcast

The Good Stuff

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Wasn't really sure where to post this, but I just stumbled across this page.

Its a good read, about a great place, that unfortunately closed during the pandemic for understandable reasons (as you'll read).

That place was an absolute gem. The owner took great care of his trails and is the nicest guy. Its one of those places that anyone could ride and have a blast.

I still hope it reopens, somehow..

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Wasn't really sure where to post this, but I just stumbled across this page.

Its a good read, about a great place, that unfortunately closed during the pandemic for understandable reasons (as you'll read).

That place was an absolute gem. The owner took great care of his trails and is the nicest guy. Its one of those places that anyone could ride and have a blast.

I still hope it reopens, somehow..
Well, seems the issue is the amount of labor it takes to keep trails going...which is definitely an issue and private land compounds it. It's just not sustainable for one person to keep that going. It's straight up hard in some of these places where land and trails were not originally set aside. Then sometimes you get private land "stepping up", but it could change at a moment's notice, not to mention the other continuing issues. There are some places in Texas on private land that I've ridden and yes, there are some cool facets to them...but it just seems like a losing battle if they don't get the trails on public land. There should be some sort of buy-out option.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Resized_20230619_161040.jpeg

Had a friend randomly call and ask if I had any trail work to do. Haha it just so happened that I was planning on benchcutting some singletrack today. The help was appreciated.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Well, seems the issue is the amount of labor it takes to keep trails going...which is definitely an issue and private land compounds it. It's just not sustainable for one person to keep that going. It's straight up hard in some of these places where land and trails were not originally set aside. Then sometimes you get private land "stepping up", but it could change at a moment's notice, not to mention the other continuing issues. There are some places in Texas on private land that I've ridden and yes, there are some cool facets to them...but it just seems like a losing battle if they don't get the trails on public land. There should be some sort of buy-out option.
The guy who owned the land in the link above seemed to enjoy what he did, even if it was a full time gig. He was always around with a smile and offered help when needed.

I busted the Stan's hub on my bike mid ride years ago in there. He ran home, pulled out this old school Kona Coiler and gave it to me for the rest of the day. Super sketch shit on those rocks, but man that was so awesome.

Luckily trails on private land are pretty rare here. Most are not open to public so it's a none issue.

But on the other hand, with everything being on public land, it's also real easy to lose trails or for crap to be neutered when the town/whoever decides to take over management.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The bad stuff...

So down the road, across town from that now closed place, is another spot that has arguably the most technical trail system in perhaps most of Ontario.

And now that place is going to close. :( :( :(

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Why man why?? That's terrible news.
Its private property - I messaged a guy from the local trail org up there, it seems like it boils down to pen pushers being pen pushers.

That piece of land is owned by this little theme park, which is on-site/across the street - https://www.santasvillage.ca/

That was sold to new owners back in 2016 or 2017ish - when this happened the trails were closed for a year, but they did reopen (sounds like it was an insurance/club thing).

From what I gather, the theme park and property is owned by "investors" now. It sounds like they want to use the land "for other uses". :think:

It is with extremely heavy hearts that we are announcing that MORCA's stewardship and access to Porcupine Ridge will be ending in the Fall of 2023 on October 31st.

The land owner has expressed that they hope to use this land differently moving forward. We have greatly appreciated the generous use of this land, over the past 26 years (since 1997!!), for amazing technical Mountain Biking. Access to the trails for riding will end on October 31st when these trails traditionally have closed.

We are planning on having a final send-off ride in the fall ~ stay tuned for dates and more information.
I'm pretty bummed about this. This is two losses of technical trail systems in a few years - but I mean even more bummed for the folks that live around there.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Its private property - I messaged a guy from the local trail org up there, it seems like it boils down to pen pushers being pen pushers.

That piece of land is owned by this little theme park, which is on-site/across the street - https://www.santasvillage.ca/

That was sold to new owners back in 2016 or 2017ish - when this happened the trails were closed for a year, but they did reopen (sounds like it was an insurance/club thing).

From what I gather, the theme park and property is owned by "investors" now. It sounds like they want to use the land "for other uses". :think:

I'm pretty bummed about this. This is two losses of technical trail systems in a few years - but I mean even more bummed for the folks that live around there.
Look man, a luxury hotel with trophy wives doing yoga on those trails is far more badly needed than open space for the public.

Sorry you're losing it. That looks like a sweet spot.

You could always just keep trespassing. Since it's iNvEsToRs, you're not defying people, you're defying faceless money. I'd call it a duty even.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Look man, a luxury hotel with trophy wives doing yoga on those trails is far more badly needed than open space for the public.

Sorry you're losing it. That looks like a sweet spot.

You could always just keep trespassing. Since it's iNvEsToRs, you're not defying people, you're defying faceless money. I'd call it a duty even.
We could keep trespassing, though they use the property for hunting too. I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of an "accident". :busted:

Unless you lived on the road, it'd be a really hard place to poach. Its surrounded by either other cottages or disgusting northern Ontario swamp bog stuff - the stuff that enables those horse sized mosquitos to live. And the parking lot is in the parking lot for the theme park, so it'd be pretty obvious. And no road parking - its on a narrow twisty two lane road, with a river on one side.

Oh well.....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I don't know what kind of eyes are around but parking at that theme park and pedaling over not making eye contact sounds pretty viable from your description.

I've ridden all kinds of things around here with what I might believe is more uppity harumph in the area. People avoid conflict.

I also tend to look like I'm about to stab someone so that probably helps.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Well we'll see what happens, I mean its not officially closed until October so theres still some time.

I assume they will build a giant cottage or some sort of resort building at the top of the ridge, which will take years (RIP trees). Until then, maybe it'll go rogue and we can still sneak in. I do know that they have people directing traffic in the parking lots - there are 3 lots and its all people from Toronto, the folks just cannot drive so they need to be led to their parking spots. :rofl:

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Sorry for your trail losses man, that always sucks. If finding a new entry is feasible, I'm with @kidwoo on trespassing (outside of hunting season). I will always respect private property and people who have good intentions, but when corporate people buy all the available land everywhere and it's impossible for a non-forest-owning person to go out in the woods without paying, it pisses me off.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sorry for your trail losses man, that always sucks. If finding a new entry is feasible, I'm with @kidwoo on trespassing (outside of hunting season). I will always respect private property and people who have good intentions, but when corporate people buy all the available land everywhere and it's impossible for a non-forest-owning person to go out in the woods without paying, it pisses me off.
A lot of corporate land out here have well used trails. Some are properly sanctioned, some not. My company has a well used trail system on their property, they put up No Trespassing signs for liability reasons and just let people build and ride and pretend they don't know what is happening. Washington state law clears the property owner of any liability in those situations. There was a short period where dipshits were hauling in garbage to build stunts but some self-policing took care of that. Who wants jumps build from pallets and trashed washing machines anyway.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Our local trail system's parking lot is on a conservation easement. The trail leaves the easement and moves onto city owned property. After the trail moves across the city land it moves onto a 40 acre parcel of private land. After the 40 it moves onto land owned by the dump/pit company. There's a retired attorney who lives up near there and he plays sheriff on the trails. He is completely against new trails being built. It's a long story but he is anti trail and yet runs a trail org that has easements for trails out past the dump/pit property.

Because he has easements on the outer reaching trails he thinks he can tell us what to do on all the other properties. Our group has secured written permission to maintain trails on the dump/pit lands and the 40 acre parcel of private. He has been trying to put up road blocks but on the private land he can only sit there and fume.

We had to install a new short trail on the 40 acre parcel. Get out there at dusk and cut trail until 10pm with head lamps. it took three nights to cut the trail to a point it's roughed in. The 2nd and 3rd nights, the retired attorney was standing about a mile into the trail, waiting to have an interaction. I avoided eye contact both nights and rode past like I was on a mission. On the 3rd night he had his late 90's Cannondale and his Styrofoam helmet for some reason but he was engaged in conversation with a random dog walking dude.

This trail we cut starts on the edge of the city property where it crosses onto the private 40 acre parcel. It's totally on the 40 acre private property. Well retired attorney called the city parks and recreation manager and tattled on me that I was building rogue trails on city land and needed to be reigned in. I got a stern email from the city parks manager. I called the city guy and he said he reminded the attorney that our group has permission to maintain trail on the private lands.

We've cut almost 1.5 miles of new trail this summer and the sheriff didn't have a clue until the end. This guy wants control but we know where the real boundaries are. haha