Quantcast

The Goodness That is iPhone

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
Meh, no 3g, Cingulars draconian plans, no tactile feedback on the keys, oh and the $500 price tag.

I'll stick with my Helio Ocean.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
SICK! The sensor that puts Cover Flow on is just *wow*. price tag... not so sick... Oh well, will wait a couple of years and get one after

snotty

Chimp
Jun 25, 2007
Meh...it'll be like 5 years before they're available here anyway.....
I feel your pain. Here in Aus it is going to be a long wait. And I am dreading the local hype that is set to begin once a local release date is set.

Jobs you are a marketing genius, but seriously lets have a break for a while. My head hurts.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Blackberry Curve FTW...Apple insider says the onscreen keyboard sucks:

Engadget said:
Remember the winning Engadget commercial, "The Long Arm of Steve Jobs"? We posted it after the break, but finding someone who's spent some serious time with a pre-launch iPhone and getting them to talk is basically a lot like that. Still, we managed to smuggle out some freshly leaked details from a very trusted inside source who's been fooling around with a unit. Here's what they had to say:

* The keyboard was simply described as "disappointing". Keyboarding with two thumbs often registers multiple key presses (two or three at a time) resulting in a lot of mistakes. The best way to type is with a single finger (as shown in most of Apple's demos), but two thumbs is supposedly very difficult. After trying it for a number of days our source gave up using their thumbs.
* The text auto-correction only works well for simple words, but doesn't work for proper names. We can only assume this bit will get better with time as Apple fills out its predictive text dictionary.

* "It won't replace a BlackBerry. It's not good for text input. It's just not a business product."
* The touchscreen was said to, in general, require somewhat hard presses to register input, and needs some getting used to.
* In addition to its dock, the iPhone comes packaged with a polishing cloth (the thing's supposedly a fingerprint magnet, no surprise) and the usual smallish power adapter.
* The Bluetooth headset will debut in the $120 range, and will come with its own dock for charging both the phone and the headset. The headset will feature a miniature magnetic charging interface á la MagSafe.

more from Apple fanboy site, Engadget

snotty

Chimp
Jun 25, 2007
I am going to reserve any pre-judgement until I see a decent number of opinions about. There is such a limited number of these things floating around that any time someone says anything it is touted as gospel.

So I will wait. At least Apple is pushing a relatively stagnant market to be innovative.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I am going to reserve any pre-judgement until I see a decent number of opinions about. There is such a limited number of these things floating around that any time someone says anything it is touted as gospel.

So I will wait. At least Apple is pushing a relatively stagnant market to be innovative.
Touchscreen keyboards have tried and failed for years now. Multitouch has been already implemented on smartphones too. Apple doesn't innovative, they market and refine other people's technology, just like Microsoft only they are more smooth :busted:

snotty

Chimp
Jun 25, 2007
I would think the way they 'refine' is pretty darn close to innovation.

Sure digital music players had been around but the dead simple UI of the iPod was the thing people loved.

There have been phones, touch screens etc before, but their combination in the iPhone is something different. Whether the cocktail will work is another question.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I would think the way they 'refine' is pretty darn close to innovation.
No its evolution, they did not create the technology. They often claim they are first when they are clearly not. They are not the innovators just as Microsoft is not an innovator either.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Criticizing something you've never seen in person or used is considered ignorance right
I've owned and/or supported Newtons (120), Sharp Zaurus, Blackberry (numerous generations), Palms (various), Pocket PC, WinCE, Windows Mobile for over a decade. BES and Good server also. My conclusions are based on the real world, not marketing bullsh*t.

So really its you, the Apple fanboy enduser hyping up all of their products before you've never seen in person or used one, who is showing their ignorance.

The real world runs on BES and Good smartphones. They are the ones that make the world work. They've been getting the job done for 8 years. Blame Canada for the effective smartphone, not Apple in Cupertino - their Newton was a failure as almost all the other PDAs I've used save for the PocketPC with Good server. Touchscreen keyboards suck - end of story.

If you want a real smartphone, get the Curve.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
So really its you, the Apple fanboy enduser hyping up all of their products before you've never seen in person or used one, ignorant.
As I Have with many Apple products because of their innovative and beautiful designs and ease of use. They've had flops, but more often than not they produce some killer products. I've used Apple products since 1986 and I give Apple an 83% approval rating.

I've seen the iPhone demos and they look fvcking awesome. You disagree? You'd rather nitpick using 3rd party information than bask in the glow of yet another Steve Jobs breakthrough?

There will be bugs like every other pioneer invention, but I didn't buy an iPod until the 3rd generation, yet I'm happy as a clam with my Nano.

I'm guessing you've never sat down and designed something as you seem way too left brained to enjoy the beauty of greatness.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've seen the iPhone demos and they look fvcking awesome. You disagree? You'd rather nitpick using 3rd party information than bask in the glow of yet another Steve Jobs breakthrough?
You're not reading well.

This isn't 3rd party information, or hearsay, or anything like it. Typing on devices that have no tactile feedback isn't fun. This is based on years and years of a myriad of companies attempting and failing to create a successful on-screen keyboard. Guess what Apple is producing? A typing keyboard with no tactile feedback. There is nothing special or unique about the design. The iPhone looks slick, but no amount of design tweaks will replace the fact that you're trying to type on a small screen with nothing but visual confirmation of what you've typed. It's not easy, it's not fun, and Apple hasn't introduced anything into the typing process that will fix these things.

It may be that the functionality of the phone is so overwhelmingly positive that it overshadows what I consider to be a glaring flaw. But the fact remains, they keyboard is very likely to suck, and a published insider perspective seems to confirm that. There is no real reason to believe otherwise.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You'd rather nitpick using 3rd party information than bask in the glow of yet another Steve Jobs breakthrough?
Are you dense? My first computer was an Apple IIc. My elementary school had mostly Apple, some commodore, and an Atari. My HS had nothing but macs. I owned an Apple Newton 120. My sister had a one of the color classic macs. I used both Macs and PCs at university. I support Macs and PCs professionally and currently own a Mac Mini.

They are just overgrown calculators, get a life.

ALL of your iPhone information is third party too, so STFU.

I'm guessing you've never sat down and designed something as you seem way too left brained to enjoy the beauty of greatness.
No because I know better than to believe marketing no matter how slick it is. The technology in the iPhone is not new and already testers are saying again touchscreen keyboards still suck. Good thumb typing is required unless you just want an overpriced media player phone with a multi-year contract - might as well save your money and pocket space and get the well refined 2nd generation Pearl with Suretype from the provider of your choice.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You're not reading well.

This isn't 3rd party information, or hearsay, or anything like it. Typing on devices that have no tactile feedback isn't fun. This is based on years and years of a myriad of companies attempting and failing to create a successful on-screen keyboard. Guess what Apple is producing? A typing keyboard with no tactile feedback. There is nothing special or unique about the design. The iPhone looks slick, but no amount of design tweaks will replace the fact that you're trying to type on a small screen with nothing but visual confirmation of what you've typed. It's not easy, it's not fun, and Apple hasn't introduced anything into the typing process that will fix these things.

The i-phone will produce an intoxicating cloud of smug and you won't care that you keep hitting the wrong buttons. In fact the extended time required to use the i-phone will extend the time people can see you using your i-phone thereby increasing the intoxication smug cloud.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The i-phone will produce an intoxicating cloud of smug and you won't care that you keep hitting the wrong buttons. In fact the extended time required to use the i-phone will extend the time people can see you using your i-phone thereby increasing the intoxication smug cloud.
Sounds right to me. Stupid endusers will buy it as a status symbol and it will catch on for that, it won't work well as smartphone but at least you can have your mediaplayer and phone in one unit - that would be the reason it could succeed if it wasn't for its super restrictive launch with AT&T, high price, and on screen keyboard.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Are you dense? My first computer was an Apple IIc. My elementary school had mostly Apple, some commodore, and an Atari. My HS had nothing but macs. I owned an Apple Newton 120. My sister had a one of the color classic macs. I used both Macs and PCs at university. I support Macs and PCs professionally and currently own a Mac Mini.

They are just overgrown calculators, get a life.

ALL of your iPhone information is third party too, so STFU.
Are you a c0ck sucking weasle? Just asking since you don't know my technological history.

Get a life? :disgust1:

I'm not versed in phone keyboard specs nor do I want to be. Apple has introduced yet another beautiful product that has captured the public. They will sell better than the piece of crap Razr that everyone drooled over with an initial price of $500. iPhone's will be improved on, and they will sell even more.

BV, I was referring to his Engaget link.

I'm not saying Apple invented anything, but they took the puzzle pieces and yet again created something that is awesome.

So 8 year old technology is what's leading us into the future. Great.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BV, I was referring to his Engaget link.
His Engadget link was to a criticism of the on-screen keyboard. Since such devices have a history of bad keyboards, and Apple has done nothing to improve the touchscreen keyboard, and the criticism falls almost exactly in line with every criticism of such keyboards to date... I don't understand what your problem was with it?

Yeah, syadasti's anti-Apple line gets old. What do you expect, though, when you call a readily expected and completely valid criticism of the keyboard to be "ignorance" or expect it to be ignored?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
His Engadget link was to a criticism of the on-screen keyboard. Since such devices have a history of bad keyboards, and Apple has done nothing to improve the touchscreen keyboard, and the criticism falls almost exactly in line with every criticism of such keyboards to date... I don't understand what your problem was with it?
Prolly my permanent hangover and the use of "fanboy" as a critcism set me off. I've been very happy with Apple and made a grip off their stock, so yeah, I'm a fanboy.

I'm sure the designers and engineers at Apple as well as Steve Jobs have looked at more than one angle with this project and will lean towards their decisions rather that some whiny twentysomething help desk monkey.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm sure the designers and engineers at Apple as well as Steve Jobs have looked at more than one angle with this project and will lean towards their decisions rather that some whiny twentysomething help desk monkey.
Of course. The angle, though, is that their device design, OS usability and public image will completely overwhelm the problems with touchscreen keyboards.

It will, too. But make no mistake: help desk monkeys across the country will pass on it because of the keyboard problems :p

Wish I had invested in Apple back when it was at rock bottom. :monkey:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Of course. The angle, though, is that their device design, OS usability and public image will completely overwhelm the problems with touchscreen keyboards.

It will, too. But make no mistake: help desk monkeys across the country will pass on it because of the keyboard problems :p

Wish I had invested in Apple back when it was at rock bottom. :monkey:
Running OSX and full Safari on a phone makes me tingle. I have XL hands and am used to too small or difficult keyboards, but I manage to keep my life moving forward. :biggrin:

I bought AAPL in the late 90's for $15. I was able to take a year off and live and play golf in Scottsdale 3-4 times a week. :monkeydance:

Edit: And I was quite happy with my

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have one of these sitting right next to me right now. It really has all the functionality I need in a phone.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Syadasti, please stop beating your chest. Can we stop the argument here?

kthx.
How about censoring the one who is making the insults then? My posts merely spell out how the one who is making the ignorant comment is clearly ignorant of reality. Perhaps he is still drunk:busted:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
How about censoring the one who is making the insults then? My posts merely spell out how the one who is making the ignorant comment is clearly ignorant of reality. Perhaps he is still drunk:busted:
Dude, I'm praising a cool new product. You can run around with your RTFM T-shirt all day long, but I'm here for fun. Please STFU.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I bought AAPL in the late 90's for $15. I was able to take a year off and live and play golf in Scottsdale 3-4 times a week. :monkeydance:
I didn't need stocks to do that and my option was actually fun/not so insular. I was able to take a half year off and move to NZ to ride 3-4 times a week instead. IT market was tough to get into without moving down rank a bit but I got job in the finance sector only a few weeks after I moved back to the US :p

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Actually, only one was a dirty bar skank. One was my girlfriend's sister (great idea!), and the third was literally the girl next door.
Boy, all you have to do is marry either a superior or a subordinate at work and you'd have bagged the top 4 categories that you're not supposed to date :p