Quantcast

the grapes have been released

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
of course, this could extend to beer, so when you move back to CA or wherever, you might have the chance to buy some Highland oatmeal porter...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
"laws in New York and Michigan, which supporters said were aimed at protecting local wineries and limiting underage drinkers from purchasing wine without showing proof of age."

And what they actually meant by that was that the states don't get the tax money on them so they outlawed it!!!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stosh said:
"laws in New York and Michigan, which supporters said were aimed at protecting local wineries and limiting underage drinkers from purchasing wine without showing proof of age."

And what they actually meant by that was that the states don't get the tax money on them so they outlawed it!!!
exactly. and the wholesalers (who are a powerful lobby) were trying to push this argument.

should be interesting in places like NH and PA where the state *is* the wholesaler (ie, no private distribution to retail).

i do believe there will be a mechanism in place so that the states do collect their sin tax (the winery has to signup, and when orders are placed the tax gets paid to whatever particular state). yay for more red tape. :oink:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
narlus said:
exactly. and the wholesalers (who are a powerful lobby) were trying to push this argument.

should be interesting in places like NH and PA where the state *is* the wholesaler (ie, no private distribution to retail).

i do believe there will be a mechanism in place so that the states do collect their sin tax (the winery has to signup, and when orders are placed the tax gets paid to whatever particular state). yay for more red tape. :oink:

Awesome, this should lead the way so other online retailers have to pay taxes as well.

Read:
shipping + Tax = no deals

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stosh said:
Awesome, this should lead the way so other online retailers have to pay taxes as well.

Read:
shipping + Tax = no deals
well, you *are* under obligation (believe it or not) to pay state sales tax on internet purchases (at least that's my understanding). now, probably 0.00001% of that is ever collected/submitted, and i'm probaby being generous.

the tax thing is real, because it's a big cash cow for the states and if they were gonna miss out on that, there's no way this would be passed.

btw, your local retailer doesn't get stuff sent to them for free; the shipping is rolled into the retail price.

i still think that the "no deals" worry is way overblown. a well-run low overhead/internet operation will always have lower COG than most retailers.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
narlus said:
well, you *are* under obligation (believe it or not) to pay state sales tax on internet purchases (at least that's my understanding). now, probably 0.00001% of that is ever collected/submitted, and i'm probaby being generous.

the tax thing is real, because it's a big cash cow for the states and if they were gonna miss out on that, there's no way this would be passed.

btw, your local retailer doesn't get stuff sent to them for free; the shipping is rolled into the retail price.

i still think that the "no deals" worry is way overblown. a well-run low overhead/internet operation will always have lower COG than most retailers.
True, the 8.25% tax is an f'ing killer in NY. I don't buy clothes in this state anymore when NJ and PA are 20min away.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
stosh said:
True, the 8.25% tax is an f'ing killer in NY. I don't buy clothes in this state anymore when NJ and PA are 20min away.
Sheet... the local tax here is 9.25%. Try buying a car sometime.. :dead: