Quantcast

the graphic design thread

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
#1 so a client brought in a job, nice stuff, 2-color. Using inDesign, he set two solid images to multiply, problem was he was multiplying the same ink... both set at 100%. Sure, in other situations, you might get 200%, but not here and the client couldn't understand that :blah:

#2: if you're a graphic designer and you happen to be looking for work, have a resume. A guy came in to apply, didn't have one, and filled out the standard application. I've ended interviews early when an applicant didn't even know what font they used on their resume.

#3 got a new job and am finally at a place where the sales reps actually know something. In fact, they know more than some designers I've known. There was a problem with the press printing a ghosted image too dark to maintain the 100% inked logo... the sales person suggest rotating it 90 and starving the ink thru the 'watermark'. I'm so friggin' happy with my new job.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
firetoole said:
it's funny how many people think they can be graphic designers and never know anything about the press process
There is an awful lot of graphic design work that never goes beyond the digital format these days. I started doing print work (newspaper layout, then magazine layout); in the last 3 years i barely do anything print related other then my own business cards.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
firetoole said:
it's funny how many people think they can be graphic designers and never know anything about the press process
I hear Trans about digital, but our shop is still very busy on press, yeah, we do plenty of digital, but so busy that we're getting a 6-color press. It's nice to be in a shop that has all sorts of finishing options

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
LordOpie said:
I hear Trans about digital, but our shop is still very busy on press, yeah, we do plenty of digital, but so busy that we're getting a 6-color press. It's nice to be in a shop that has all sorts of finishing options
Ya, most places are specializing now. They either do what I do, or they do print with minimal digi work.

As a 1 man show most of the time and a 2/3 man show for big jobs..it really isn't worth the headaches dealing with a film house, making sure the client isn't an idiot, getting proper seperations etc.

I do miss having something tangible in my hands though, lends the job some sort of credibility when you can hold the print in you hand and say "I made that!". I miss it the same way I miss working in a darkroom. The prints were cool, the enlarging was cool..but the rest of the proces made me whooze (literally).

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
LordOpie said:
#2: if you're a graphic designer and you happen to be looking for work, have a resume. A guy came in to apply, didn't have one, and filled out the standard application. I've ended interviews early when an applicant didn't even know what font they used on their resume.
The first company I worked for had a fairly high turnover rate as it was a pretty entry-level position. It involved illustration and design work both, and we'd get some pretty ridiculous applicants. Pretty much anybody who had ever picked up a pencil to draw something would apply, skilled or not.

The best "resume" we ever got was a guy who sent in a hand written letter from prison. He was getting out soon and he loved to draw and was looking for work. His sample sketches were all ball point pen drawings on lined paper. Which might have been okay had he had some talent. Maybe he's the guy who gave Jorvik his tattoo?

I've been working design jobs for the last 6 years that involve almost no offset print work at all. I'm now working for a government subcontractor and most everything is done in low quantities on high-end laser printers. I pretty much don't have to worry about print issues at all. Before that I worked for a software company and didn't do any print work whatsoever.

Unfortunately I've more or less worked myself into a corner with this job and I'm not sure how to get out of it. I don't know if anybody would consider me for a "real" design position since I've been away from that stuff for so long. I'd love to go back to school to get back up to speed, but being in a very small town kind of prevents that too.