Quantcast

The Great Crank Conundrum

I've decided it's about time I serviced my d/h rig for the up coming season.The bb has been sounding less than healthy of late so thats where I chose to start.
This brings up a couple of questions though.

Not the groupset/components concerned are all Shimano XTR.

1 The bb is marked as a BB-M950,this is as I remember a loose bearing affair.If it needs replacing I'd rather have a cartridge version which I presume to be the BB-M952.If thats the case why are the tech specs from the web site the same (apart from the weight).Am I correct with the definition of the two types????

2 XTR splines are not the same as XT/LX are they????

3 My cranks are stamped as FC-M950.They are 5 bolt non-compact drive.Shimano only lists the following XTR cranks,FC-M952-DH,FC-M952 -4 and FC-M952-5.What are mine and how come a modern group set still has the old spec chainrings????

4 Do all XTR bb's require a peg spanner to install them or are ones available with the normal splined cups????

Any info greatly recieved.
Cheers

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Revol
I've decided it's about time I serviced my d/h rig for the up coming season.The bb has been sounding less than healthy of late so thats where I chose to start.
This brings up a couple of questions though.

Not the groupset/components concerned are all Shimano XTR.

1 The bb is marked as a BB-M950,this is as I remember a loose bearing affair.If it needs replacing I'd rather have a cartridge version which I presume to be the BB-M952.If thats the case why are the tech specs from the web site the same (apart from the weight).Am I correct with the definition of the two types????

2 XTR splines are not the same as XT/LX are they????

3 My cranks are stamped as FC-M950.They are 5 bolt non-compact drive.Shimano only lists the following XTR cranks,FC-M952-DH,FC-M952 -4 and FC-M952-5.What are mine and how come a modern group set still has the old spec chainrings????

4 Do all XTR bb's require a peg spanner to install them or are ones available with the normal splined cups????

Any info greatly recieved.
Cheers

Get the 952 BB its much more durable
XT/LX BB the ES70 is different and not compatiblr with XTR cranks
No you don't need the spanner with the 952, just make sure you get the BB tool Park BBT-2 I believe(You might wanna double check)
The current rings should be compatible cause they are still not compact.

G

gravity

Originally posted by Old_Dude
why isn't there more standardization of parts with bikes?

Stuff like this is irritating when you're replacing or upgrading, ya know?
yeah its ridiculous. they (especially Shimano) should adopt an international standard such as ISIS for cranks/BBs and fork and disc brake manufacturers need to come to an agreement over an international standard regarding disc mounts, IS vs Manitou postmount. Hayes (and Avid discs), which are probably the biggest factor in disc mounting standards, believe the Manitou mount is better so they use that. but if they changed their mounting system to IS then Manitou would also change. alternatively, if say Hope and/or Shimano changed their mounting system to Manitou postmount, i reckon most fork manufacturers would adopt the postmount system.

F*CKING SHIMANO...... they always have different setups for everything just so to run any of their stuff, you need to run ALL shimano stuff. c*nts.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Originally posted by gravity

F*CKING SHIMANO...... they always have different setups for everything just so to run any of their stuff, you need to run ALL shimano stuff. c*nts.
Yeah, like that splined bb and crank and that splined bb and crank. And what else do Shimano impose on us??? Oh yeah threaded headsets and indexed shifting and ramped and pinned chainrings, spd clipless pedals.

I'm all for standardization don't get me wrong, but Shimano have come up with a lot of designs that have been adopted or copied by others. They popularized splined bbs which are better than the square taperd. before Shimano became a behemouth there were still compatability issues, 27 inch and 700c wheels, long and short reach brakes, English thread, French thread and Italian, what size seatpost sir? Early Ritchey's and other Mountainbikes had pressed in BB's because no one made anything else that would work. There have always been and probably always be compatability issues.

The real issue is whether or not the parts work well and whether or not you can get replacement parts.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Revol
Thanks Brian.I've rebuilt my existing bb and I'll see how it sounds when I get the bike back together.Otherwise I'll get the M952 bb.
No prob, after I first installed a 950 BB when I went to pull it out the thing just exploded, bearing everywhere. Collected all the bearing looked at them, and threw them in the garbage. Went to my stock shelf and installed a 952. It still woks great.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by the_prozac_kid
i know XTR spline BB's and ISIS system are not compatabile but your joking aren't you, the Big S has brought in another standard for XT and LX :confused:
Nope not joking the BB's are different. The ES70 is only for XT & LX. wont work for XTR. Kinda silly.