Quantcast

The hardest sport to be "perfect" at?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I was thinking about this last night, downhilling's pretty hardcore I reckon. Let's start with another popular sport that involves racing: car racing on a track.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the guys who do that are unskilled, but it's got to be a lot "easier" to learn the skills required to do a perfect lap. All you really have to do is push some pedals, turn a wheel, and pick the right lines. It might be hard to perfect this, but there's not much else to it.

So let's step it up a notch - rallying. Obviously a lot harder to perfect as you now have the surface variation to worry about a lot more.

Ok, another notch - motocross. Now you have to worry about accelerating, braking, steering, surface, AND bodyweight positioning etc etc.

Downhill seems to me to be one step up from that, you have all of the above to worry about (and bodyweight positioning is a lot more crucial because our bikes are so much lighter) but we also now have to physically propel the bike ourself with no assist from flammable hydrocarbons. Plus suddenly we have roots and other obstacles that you wouldnt tend to find on a rally or motocross course.

There's soooooooo much to think about when downhilling, if you want to be "perfect". Can anyone think of a sport which demands an even broader spectrum of skills?

This is why we often see a massive decimation of the field by one rider - Sam Hill at the moment. There's so much to do, so much to learn, so much to improve, that very few people are anywhere near the "perfect" rider, so it becomes quite plausible that someone will come along and "take things to the next level". I don't think the same is true of car racing for example - the cars will improve, but the drivers skills are probably no better now than they were 50 years ago?

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
Yeah, But what are the basic skills?, like to learn to drive a car isn't that hard but to even keep a formula 1 car on a track is supposed to be really difficult..
Your US nascar looks really easy as it looks like they just go around in circles but theres a lot more to it, the speeds are really high.

There's usually 1 or 2 in every sport with Jedi skills, in forumula 1 Michael Schumacher was pretty untouchable.

I think its just some people, who matter how much they learn would ever be world class. I agree that the abilitys are similar but the speeds of the cars have pushed skills and I think metal toughness and fitness of drivers are far better now.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I think curling (with the brooms and weighted sliding thing) takes the most skill.

No, but for real, sure, downhill is a very hard sport, probably one of the hardest. But there is so much more out there. I don't know if downhill is the hardest sport. Hitting a baseball takes an extreme amount of coordination (I in no way think baseball is entertaining, I don't play it, and I think it's incredibly boring, so I don't have a biast). But the thing about downhill is, sure, sometimes you can get real sketchy, and it won't take as much of a fine line (like the difference between hitting a ball or not), but instead of a huge bruise, you could be in the hospital with multiple broken bones...

So DH might be the hardest sport, but you won't know until you have experienced them all. It is however, I think, the most riskiest. Also, it's very repetitive, it's not like you have 3 chances. You have hundreds on 1 trail sometimes, and they all have big consequences sometimes, like trees, that odd rock in the rock gardens, a big sketchy drop.

Another thing is different sports take different talents. Running takes indurance and a small amount of balance. Curling... estimation, etc. I think it is kind of ignorant to say racing formula 1 cars isn't very difficult compared to downhill, because there's probably so much going on and so much we don't see to the untrained eye.

Just watch people watch downhill..."oh that's not that big", "all's you have to do is lean back and plow" and my favorite "what kind of idiot would do that"

So there are so many views, options, and different types of skills. Sorry to write a book, but I have had arguements with sports players at school, and even got extra credit winning a debate in english, so that's why I'm tooting my horn.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I hate golf, but it takes a lot of skill. I gained respect for golfers the first time I went out and golfed and couldn't hit the damn ball. Most sports aren't hard to play, they are hard to be good at.

esr

Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
ontario,canada
cycloserine boosts activity of the dopamine receptors in your brain which increase your ability to overcome or not feel fear etc.

IE when you are sitting at that 20 foot jump that thing in your head saying you cant do it doesnt show up.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
you know all of you are talking about how much you have to think in dh. i find that it is the exact opposite of that. i have th most fun and go the fastest when i'm not thinking. my body just goes into react mode and i somehow end up at the bottom in one piece. i would say that this goes for all the best athletes in all the sports out there. they are in do mode and not think mode. one another note i feel that people are only about to go into do mode in particular sports. i know that i can in mtn biking but i can't when i ride my trials bike, and there for i suck at trails (not that i don't like it). also i suck at most ball oriented sports.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I think the reason why DH or Moto are so difficult to master is that the penality for screwing up is getting injured. That might knock you out from practicing for a year.

In golf, if you don't make that perfect swing, you try again. DH, miss your line and you might go over the bars and hit a tree.

Palmer said something in a interview once "If Tiger Woods had to play golf in a hurricane with someone holding a bat to his legs and a gun to his arm if he mess's up that is what our sport is like,just a couple inches too much to the right or left and its you a**.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
BIG WAVE SURFING That looks very hard & really dangerous.

Now,if golf was easy i would be on the PGA tour making $$ like Tiger Woods!That sport is all about being perfect & consistent.

Really,almost any sport is hard if your at the top of the game.

Downhill to me is all about having bike handling skills & fitness to apply them for more than 1 minute on a race run. Big forearms to be able to hang on to the bars .Be able to sprint for about 4 minutes without giving up & worrying about a heart attack.Not crashing & pace the run.Trying not to worry about impaling yourself & getting an injury! Also it's expensive if you have a top podium quality DH bike .

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
There are only a few 'sports' where perfection is even possible.

The cumulative score of repeated best results has to be a factor........golf, bowling,

You know.......all the totally gay sports.
hahahaha. dont forget darts, shuffle board (which is awesome btw), pro pool, water polo etc

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you guys are leaving out a huge factor here...competition...the thing that makes a sport a sport and not a "recreational activity". One could say that mtb is not as difficult to master since there is, essentially, no competition. You only compete against da erf, and not against other riders or another team.

You could easily make the case that ball sports are significantly more difficult to master since you have to add in working with your team and team dynamics, and competition against another team.

Then you could get into the whole judging aspect...perhaps figure skating is the most difficult sport to master, since not only do you have to put together a flawless routine, the judges have to agree with you and give you a good score...your entire performance can hinge on what some deusche from russia things about your mom.

There's also no scale for mtb. No matter how fast you go, you could have gone faster. Like kidwoo said, unless there's a scale, there's no way to be "perfect".

I'm not going to say that downhill is not a difficult sport to master, but I'm just not sure that I believe it's the most difficult.

So what would be the most difficult sport? Team Downhill mountain biking on a trail you've never ridden against another team who can do anything to stop or slow you down, all while being judged from 0-300 by a multi-nation team of judges.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
those are billiards, not sports...just like baseball. any game involving a non-pneumatic ball and a lot of standing around, is a billiard.
I put it in quotes............jeesh.

But something like baseball and water polo can't be included since there's no achievable maximum score.

If I inflate some of those yoga balls and hold a naked crisco balancing marathon, would that be a sport?

Either way....bikes is way more hella swell.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
I was thinking about this last night, downhilling's pretty hardcore I reckon. Let's start with another popular sport that involves racing: car racing on a track.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the guys who do that are unskilled, but it's got to be a lot "easier" to learn the skills required to do a perfect lap. All you really have to do is push some pedals, turn a wheel, and pick the right lines. It might be hard to perfect this, but there's not much else to it.

So let's step it up a notch - rallying. Obviously a lot harder to perfect as you now have the surface variation to worry about a lot more.

Ok, another notch - motocross. Now you have to worry about accelerating, braking, steering, surface, AND bodyweight positioning etc etc.

Downhill seems to me to be one step up from that, you have all of the above to worry about (and bodyweight positioning is a lot more crucial because our bikes are so much lighter) but we also now have to physically propel the bike ourself with no assist from flammable hydrocarbons. Plus suddenly we have roots and other obstacles that you wouldnt tend to find on a rally or motocross course.
Than add the skills and fitness to climb back up and it would seem XC riding is a step beyond DH...

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
I put it in quotes............jeesh.

...Either way....bikes is way more hella swell.

:monkeydance:
i'm just saying that baseball and golf are billiards, not sports...i love saying that to baseball/golf fans...they hate it!

billiards: a leisure game of skill generally played with a stick which is used to strike a non-pneumatic ball.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Interesting thread.

I used to race motocross. It was pretty damn difficult. I remember reading somewhere that is one of the most physically demanding sports out there (that may be wrong, but anyone who has actually done it would probably agree). One thing that does make it a little easier is that there are so many other people out on the track, lines are much easier to choose or even follow somebody. Plus you are doing multiple laps on the same course during the race.

Now I am racing downhill and I think it is for sure more difficult that racing motocross. Your body has to be more built for controlling and pedaling the bike. Another thing is you don't have anyone on the track with you when you are racing. Nobodies nobody to follow through lines etc.

I don't know, just putting some more things to think about out there. comparing the two, I have done both competitively and DH seems to be a little more demanding than motocross.

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
i think Downhill, Surfing, and Tiger Juggling are the three hardest sports ever. Try doing anything Taj Burrow or Yaden Nicol are doing now a days. Or Slater and Irons. At least in Downhill the track is slightly smiler every run, every wave is different, everytime.

EDIT: Like I'v always told myself and anyone within 5ft of me at a race when your complaining about the track being to easy and you can go just as fast as all the pros. All I say is your not going fast enough, any track can be difficult if your going fast enough.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Interesting thread.

I used to race motocross. It was pretty damn difficult. I remember reading somewhere that is one of the most physically demanding sports out there (that may be wrong, but anyone who has actually done it would probably agree). One thing that does make it a little easier is that there are so many other people out on the track, lines are much easier to choose or even follow somebody. Plus you are doing multiple laps on the same course during the race.

Now I am racing downhill and I think it is for sure more difficult that racing motocross. Your body has to be more built for controlling and pedaling the bike. Another thing is you don't have anyone on the track with you when you are racing. Nobodies nobody to follow through lines etc.

I don't know, just putting some more things to think about out there. comparing the two, I have done both competitively and DH seems to be a little more demanding than motocross.
Really? That's interesting... every time I've hopped on an MX bike I've been reminded pretty friggin quickly how hard it is. I guess it's a fitness thing, me being more of a "stay off the brakes and keep up what little speed you have" rider as opposed to a pedal-pedal-pedal-watch-me-annihilate-half-a-ton-of-dirt-in-this-corner-cos-I'm-nathan-rennie type, which doesn't really work well in MX. I was watching that WFO trailer yesterday and I just can't believe how hard some of those guys are riding, no way I could keep that up for half an hour or whatever it is that each moto goes for. I can't even hold onto the bars after 10 minutes of attempting to ride hard (in fairness, I ride MX bikes about once a year if I'm lucky, and I'm a total novice).

And I've heard from a number of people that MX racing burns more calories per minute/hour/whatever than any other sport.

Feb 23, 2005
Spokanada
Hard argument.

The hardest sport I ever learned is how to whitewater kayak. It is the hardest sport to do still. At least once a year I'll run something that will reach up and just bitch slap the **** out of me. Its a lot like downhilling where you really only got one beginning and one end, but the problem is the course is dynamic and will change on you mid drop.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
i think the most difficult sports to master (not to just learn) are "sports" with highly repetitive movements which have to be executed to ultimate perfection, i.e. Ski jumping, Golf, maybe even pool billard or snooker. and the slightest change in execution can change/ruin the whole jump/swing/shot.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
MX verses DH - both are hard to do at a high level. Probably equal. Sure it is easy to do a few laps on a MX bike, so is coasting a DH bike down a jump line. Now try to ride a MX bike over 2 foot braking bumps and hit a rut just perfect while your heart is beating 190. Same with a DH bike going thru a rock garden and trting to maintain enough speed and line up for a drop.

As far as MX being tougher than any other sport. You may be refering to the study done by some university doctor in Texas. Tucker Hibbert was telling me about it a while ago. He participated in the study and was wearing his heart rate monitor during training and races. His heart rate was in excess of 190 bpm for the entire 30 minute moto. He told me that the doctor reported that MX was the most physically demanding sport.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Ski Racing. Everyforce generated or absorbed is done with the body. Speeds are faster than any non-motorized sport. Races are often decided by as little as a hundreth of a second and more often than not, the top ten are seperated by a second or less.

In DH mtb there seems to be different lines that play to different riders strengths; even to the point of plow vs finess. In skiing there is one line and you can either hold it, or you can't. Never mind the importance of technique/body control. If you have ever seen it on TV when they show skiers overlapped on the same course, you will realize how such miniscule factors affect the times.

Don't discount motto to much just cause it has an engine. I'd say the most beat I've ever been in my life is after a long dirt bike ride, on numerous occasions.

It can be easy if you just sit back and ride easy trails/dirt roads, but as soon as you start pushing it, I'd say its the most physically exhausting thing I've ever experienced.

In a DH race you may be on the verge of pucking and ready to collapse, but your probably going to be fully recovered and ready to go again within 15-20 minutes.
After a 4 hr Enduro you can't move for the rest of the day.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
After a 4 hr Enduro you can't move for the rest of the day.
yep, I raced a bunch of hare scrambles this year in the 2 hour class. At one of them, I was literally too tired to get off of the bike after the race. I rode up to my trailer and leaned it up against it and laid my head down on the bars for close to 15 minutes before someone helped me off. It was 95 degrees and I was having a hard time drinking while battling in the lead pack.

After every race I took at least an hour before I could load the bike for the drive home.

I have felt like that after XC mtb races. However, as you wrote, I am always good to go after a DH race in 15 minutes.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
None of you guys have ever rowed competitively have you?:D
i'm glad someone else said this.
those guys/gals are ****ed in the head. racing bicycles on any level in ANY discipline is hard, but rowing is just flat out ugly.

MttyTee

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Back on the east coast!
My vote goes to moto. Swimming/ rowing is physically exhausting but it doesn't beat you up. Moto beats you like a rented mule. I'd say DH is close 2nd physically but it requires slightly more skill. With no gyroscopic aid when you get out of control, you usually eat poo.

P.S. I've ridden plenty of moto so I'm by no means saying moto requires no skill!! Just splitting hairs for the sake of conversation

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
why dont we just agree ALL SPORTS ARE HARD IF YOU DO THEM AT THE TOP MOST LEVEL. I mean really, sitting down and snapping your fingers could be a extreme sport if you try hard enough. some sports have more physical properties, while others are more precise, and some are just mixed up and random.

I really think its all just one big individual question..."What sport is hardest for you?? "

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
His heart rate was in excess of 190 bpm for the entire 30 minute moto. He told me that the doctor reported that MX was the most physically demanding sport.
My heart rate would be at least that if I was this guy:
Nurburgring is effin scary! Watch how hard he has to work to keep the wheel from being ripped out of his hands.

As far as the DH vs MX argument goes, I think that MX is far more physically demanding than DH, as you have to muscle a bike that weights far more than your body weight (depending on the rider) for a much longer time than in a DH race.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
i'm glad someone else said this.
those guys/gals are ****ed in the head. racing bicycles on any level in ANY discipline is hard, but rowing is just flat out ugly.
It's by far the most intense sport I've ever been involved in.

Much higher physical output levels in a tiny little narrow boat that tips sideways if you fart.

The synchronous motion with 7 other guys is a bit of a challenge........plus straining your muscles to the point exploding eyeballs.

Never again:D

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
i love how the dh kids, most of who have probably never participated in any other form of cycling think this is the hardest part of cycling....
go race cross and try to be perfect
or better yet, the track. try going as hard as you physically can for a K then let up and continue pedaling while your body just wants to collapse.