Quantcast

The Hellatrail: An Abomination

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I've been running a Turner DHR with Boxxer 27.5 front for a couple months now, just got back from 3rd trip to mammoth this weekend and can say with absolute certainty that this is a winning set up. HA is just at 62.5, BB raised to a little over 13.5. Maybe i just suck but i really appreciate the 27.5 keeping me out of the blown out holes, makes it a lot easier to carve turns and the 26 rear keeps the bike snappy, imo. I really can't think of any negatives with the setup.
dhr11.jpg

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Thanks everyone for their thoughts. I've been wondering if the bump rollover benefits are more prevalent on front or rear, any opinions on that? Maybe cumulative thoughts would be good later once you guys have tried a few more combinations.

I agree that getting the geometry details right would be the biggest concern, I'd probably lower my bar height a bit and try to correct the head angle to compensate the change. Possibly even reduce fork travel slightly on a trail bike, if there was travel to spare. One thing I dislike is that it'd slacken the ST angle (especially after lowering BB to compensate on most bikes), not as big a concern on DH bikes but I've been keen for steeper ST angles on everything.

@gemini2k
Looking forward to hearing comparisons on the possible new 27.5 f/r megatrail, or just on the 27.5 front if you try both out on the same bike. I do wonder if you'd like that more than the 29, after compensating geometry to suit if needed - then again I'm not 8'6 or whatever you are. I too found overly low BBs on trail bikes more of a problem on climbs than downhills which was interesting - it's harder to time pedal strokes when you actually need to pedal to keep moving. Why are we doing this enduro thing instead of DH again?

@W4S
That DHR is an awesome example of the implementation I had in mind. I always thought the BB on those bikes was a bit too low for properly rutted courses, and its short headtube makes it easy to compensate increases in bar height. The 27.5 front would mean good things all round.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Bump rollover is hard to pinpoint, since you're also dealing with slacker head angles and world's better suspension forks these days...but for me it's all about the front. The trail out here have roots and rocks that are unmoveable and all seem to sit 3-4" out of the trail. Combine that with the twistiness of our trails, and you end up getting your front wheel stopped constantly until you build up a bit of steam. The 29er really helps with that, and that's why I initially liked it. There are other benefits, namely traction in the rear is quite impressive while climbing dusty trails (reduces spin out significantly).

When I converted my rush to 650b, I went from 26-650b with relatively similarly sized tires. There was a small but noticeable bump in rollover, but it wasn't as significant as the 29er. I didn't put a ton of time on the 26" version of the bike, but I really did enjoy riding the BRush.

I don't know that you'd notice as much of a change in the rear, and now you can get bikes that are designed to have decent geometry combined with big wheels, so the challenge is a bit moot. It would be fun to experiment with a banshee, as those are the most adjustable.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Full disclosure, I've been working with mtg on a new wheel theory which concludes the ideal wheel-inch© range is between 53 WI's and 57 WI's. Anything less is unrideable (as in VPP unrideable...) and anything more is gayer than a Republican senator in an airport bathroom stall (that's pretty gay). So by way of example, if we take 26 WI's added to 27.5WI's, we get 53.5 WI's, which is scientifically rideable (albeit, just barely). Likewise, you can have a 24" up front and a 29" in the back, which yields an acceptable sum of WI's. And to use gemini's bike as an example, the 56.5 WI's clearly explains why he's getting on so well with it. Not unridebale, and not gay. The proverbial "win-win" if you will.

We've submitted our white paper to Mtb Fiction and the Nobel Peace Championships Committee for review, and we expect favorable responses to our groundbreaking work.

But for sorta serious, this is somewhat related to the issue of using different wheelsizes -

http://www.ridemonkey.com/threads/anyone-tried-650b-on-a-tr450.262796/

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Full disclosure, I've been working with mtg on a new wheel theory which concludes the ideal wheel-inch© range is between 53 WI's and 57 WI's.
I'd like to submit an idea I've been working on, for WI testing by you and @mtg

It's a current photo, I just set the sepia slider to maximum on my iphone for nostalgic effect, and picked a fake name and date to trick bradflynn in case he tries to claim prior art.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
I've been running a Turner DHR with Boxxer 27.5 front for a couple months now, just got back from 3rd trip to mammoth this weekend and can say with absolute certainty that this is a winning set up. HA is just at 62.5, BB raised to a little over 13.5. Maybe i just suck but i really appreciate the 27.5 keeping me out of the blown out holes, makes it a lot easier to carve turns and the 26 rear keeps the bike snappy, imo. I really can't think of any negatives with the setup.View attachment 120342

woah... this is interesting srs
the lowers allow a 650b? i have a '11 R2C2

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I agree that getting the geometry details right would be the biggest concern, I'd probably lower my bar height a bit and try to correct the head angle to compensate the change. Possibly even reduce fork travel slightly on a trail bike, if there was travel to spare. One thing I dislike is that it'd slacken the ST angle (especially after lowering BB to compensate on most bikes), not as big a concern on DH bikes but I've been keen for steeper ST angles on everything.

@gemini2k
Looking forward to hearing comparisons on the possible new 27.5 f/r megatrail, or just on the 27.5 front if you try both out on the same bike. I do wonder if you'd like that more than the 29, after compensating geometry to suit if needed - then again I'm not 8'6 or whatever you are. I too found overly low BBs on trail bikes more of a problem on climbs than downhills which was interesting - it's harder to time pedal strokes when you actually need to pedal to keep moving. Why are we doing this enduro thing instead of DH again?
Interesting you mention the ST angle. I've noticed that the only thing that feels a little 'off' on the bike is the seat position. I feel like in order to get the seat position right for the climbs, it feels a little far forward on the descent. First (reasonably sized) bike I've noticed that on. I haven't thought enough about it (literally about 10 seconds until now) to diagnose a corrective fix to it. I've basically got the seat slammed back as far as it will go ATM. I too prefer steeper SA in general. The front 29'er wheel is probably what screws it up?

Yes the bb is only a problem on the climbs. And of couse, when its a problem, its only in the most embaressing and irritating ways. The only bike I've ever noticed it being a problem on descents is my FTW when its in the 'low' mode. Which is something like a 13.5 ish BB on a 9.5" travel plow bike so.....that's probably to be expected.

Also, this bike is 'bigger' than me now. People regularly come up to me and say "Hey I remember you from XXX, well not you, but I remember the bike!"

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
"Hey I remember you from that brief televised interview you had with Chris Hansen!"

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
This bike of yours is still crazy. BTW mine fit me better than the other trail bikes I have been riding. Go figure!

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I ran my GG/DH with 27.5 front, 26 rear in Whistler....because the 27.5 rear wheel had a rim dent and I couldn't get a tire to seat tubeless before we left. Not that there's a huge difference between those wheel sizes to begin with, but I'd estimate that more than 50% of the difference in "roll over" due to wheel size is up front.
Which, of course, is what led to the scientific research with @jackalope.
Seriously, I have some parts on the way to do some experimenting of my own on this idea. We'll see how it goes.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
^^^I did, and rode the shit outta mine. DH, XC, Freeride, and everything in between. I don't recall being hampered by anything but the godawful seat angle for climbing.
I'm certain a 24 in front would suck ass, but in the rear it wasn't really an issue, or noticeable for that matter.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
^Older but better. :D

I still cruise ebay occasionally looking for one in good condition.

Anyway......those old big hits felt like they hung up disproportionately on the rear wheel. Unless you put a 3.0 tire on it which just looked weird.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I had a STAB PRIMO I put 26" Tioga wheels on Hope hubs on because the 24" and 26" by 3" was quack....

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
^Older but better. :D

I still cruise ebay occasionally looking for one in good condition.

Anyway......those old big hits felt like they hung up disproportionately on the rear wheel. Unless you put a 3.0 tire on it which just looked weird.
24x3.0 was the only way to ride those on the bEAST coast.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Welp, this bike (and 7 others) got stolen out of my garage in San Francisco last night. Even while my buddy house sitting my house was sleeping over! :(

If you happen to see this bike anywhere around the world let me know. It's pretty unique

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Welp, this bike (and 7 others) got stolen out of my garage in San Francisco last night. Even while my buddy house sitting my house was sleeping over! :(

If you happen to see this bike anywhere around the world let me know. It's pretty unique
Damn! Sf garage bike theft is real! When I lived there, happened to a buddy of mine as well.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006

Wow!
Literally
Wtf. Eyes peelded.
Also... how
Was this 5 years ago.
Feeling old.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne

Post pics.
Missing from page 1

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
The thief is going to be very disappointed when they try to throw a leg over those large bicycles.

That really sucks, @gemini2k. Hopefully they can be recovered...they are definitely recognizable.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Damn man sorry to hear!!!! Hopefully, you have homeowners or renters. I had my bike stolen last month found it 48 hours later....

WTF are you doing up in that DUMP?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I remembered what it looked like, in that I could have pretty accurately described the paint scheme off the top of my head, and yet it's so much more insane than I remembered. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
That thing needed to be put down. This was the humane thing to do.

You're probably going to see it ridden around town by a bum who has racked himself on the top tube and will steer it into one of the many slightly angled porta-potties around the streets of SF, which will result in the last color being added to it.