Quantcast

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I don't see how that movie can possibly be anywhere near as good as the book.

That book was sort of the type of thing that only a certain type of person could appreciate, and you know that their goal for the movie is nothing more than to make money at the box office. Which means the people who liked the book will hate the movie, and the people who never heard of the book will think the movie is stupid.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Echo said:

That book was sort of the type of thing that only a certain type of person could appreciate, and you know that their goal for the movie is nothing more than to make money at the box office. Which means the people who liked the book will hate the movie, and the people who never heard of the book will think the movie is stupid.

I loved the book and the BBC series... but there is A LOT of stuff to cram into 120 minutes on the big screen. They probably should have broken it up into 3 parts like LotR.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
N8 said:
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish!!!
I hope the movie is as good as the book and BBC TV series....
Movie site: http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/
Wow, I havent thought about that series in a while. I wonder if there is a way to get that BBC series... I've seen a few of them and they were pertty amusing. The books... I read all those biches at once what a tedious about of stuff that happens in that book... always something insane happening , I couldnt put it down because I walways wanted to know WTF was going to happen next and "how the hell are they gonna get out of this sh!t?!" :p

Edit: looks interesting (just saw trailer)

This was on their website:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I agree that the movie could be one giant pile of crap.

I will, however, be going to see it on the off chance that director had a genius moment and put together a film that is even half as good as the book.

:D

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
binary visions said:
I agree that the movie could be one giant pile of crap.

I will, however, be going to see it on the off chance that director had a genius moment and put together a film that is even half as good as the book.

:D
I had head this was coming out... but I had envisioned an animated, adult, pixar type thing.

After looking at thge website it looks like its going to be a "film" film. Oh well, hope they can do something with it, done correctly it could be funny as schitt.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Echo said:

My friend had the same argument..... it's gonna be all CG.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
"The trick to flying is throwing yourself at the ground and missing"

Well I hope its good, but the books will be tough to live up to.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
ok, ill admit it, ill be there opening weekend. but how theyre going to put the 5-book trilogy into films is beyond me. anyone know if this had the author's approval? im still bummed that he's no longer with us.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Lol I've had the stories on my pc for along time, torrents from BBC radio. Listened to them a bit, reallyy good but haven;t had time to really get into it yet.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I had a Comodore 64 as a kid and one of the many pirated games I had was Hikers
Guide.

it was a word game. so the first thing that came on the screen was something like "it's dark".
and you had to figure out what the hell you were supposed to do. it took some time but we figured out how to put on a bathrob, find some asprin in the pocket and eat it and get outside before the house got plowed.

I never read the book but years after playing the game, I saw part of the PBS stuff. :D