Quantcast

The ho0k?!??!?!?

yojimborace

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
SC
This is going to sound really weird, but what is "the hook"? I heard some roadies talking about it... What does it mean?!?! :think: :think: :think:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
yojimborace said:
This is going to sound really weird, but what is "the hook"? I heard some roadies talking about it... What does it mean?!?! :think: :think: :think:
I think it's when you draft behind one rider than in a sprint, you slingshot yourself in a slipstream around him and get this boost. It looks like a hook. Not sure though.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
All my road rides have been solo; never done a group ride. Altho, I'd love to give what JMAC is talking about a try. I've drafted behind cars and that was a kick in the pants. There's just no other feeling like it, being pulled thru traffic at a high rate of speed and you not putting out too much effort... :D

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Yeah drafting is great, I had a friend who told me about the hook trick. He was once pro for awhile but burnt himself out fast. Either way he owned my ass, and I tried the hook on him but nvr could get it just right. When he did it on me it was pretty crazy. I really gotta give road racing a shot. ohwell...

yojimborace

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
SC
Yeah, that's probably it, just for the record, I've never ridden a road bike, but I heard a few people talking about it as I was riding by. :thumb:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
yojimborace said:
Yeah, that's probably it, just for the record, I've never ridden a road bike, but I heard a few people talking about it as I was riding by. :thumb:
I hope you were on a mt bike when you rode by. Nothing beats passing a peloton of road riders climbing a hill, and your on your mt bike. It's real.. :nuts: ..for them.

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
The hook is when another rider "hooks" you with his elbow as he passes you, like in a sprint.

Also, then your down in the drops of the bars, it's also called the hooks...

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
sounds like a Keirin (sp?) move- track racing. You are sprinting elbow to elbow and can shake the guy next to you by getting your arm hooked up under his and giving his elbow a flick. It's a dirty move, but that's what sprinting is really like at high levels of racing.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
jon cross said:
sounds like a Keirin (sp?) move- track racing. You are sprinting elbow to elbow and can shake the guy next to you by getting your arm hooked up under his and giving his elbow a flick. It's a dirty move, but that's what sprinting is really like at high levels of racing.
I know what your talking about but I don;t think thats what he was asking about.... :dancing:

yojimborace

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
SC
Originally Posted by JMAC
I hope you were on a mt bike when you rode by. Nothing beats passing a peloton of road riders climbing a hill, and your on your mt bike. It's real.. ..for them.
Yeah, I always ride my mountain bike, everywhere I go