Quantcast

The Holiday haul thread....

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I got a Husqvarna pole hedge trimmer. Already tested and much easier and faster than what I had before. Also got some books about how to make the garden better for wildlife and a gift card to buy more plants.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Shoes, socks, underwear, an alarm clock, and gloves from the wife.

Wifi router and Woodpeckers drill station from the in-laws.

His Dark Materials and War and Peace from our book swap.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Got a $50 gift card to Whole Foods, which I used Sunday on two sushi rolls, two pounds of steak tips, four Japanese sweet potatoes, and a bag of pita chips. I had to chip in another $10. The potatoes had the wrong sticker on them, which I didn't realize until I got home. They rang up 99 cents a pound but should be $2.99 a pound.

Also, mom bought me four Heath bars. SCORE.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
23and me kit
Snowball's chance in hell I'm doing that shit until Wifey and I have been together for 18 years. Sister and cousin are on board as well. Rest of the family are too paranoid to do one.

Miscellany of small things and a notable amount of gift cards for karting from my parents.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The in-laws were overly generous this year - picked up an Arc'teryx Zeta SL rain jacket, some gaiters and an REI gift card from them so I'm all set for re-supplying for the upcoming hiking season. I think the lack of travel because of COVID is causing them to spend their travel dollars on Christmas presents.

We destroy a pair of hiking boots a year now, so that's where the gift card will get used, though I haven't decided on a pair yet.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The in-laws were overly generous this year - picked up an Arc'teryx Zeta SL rain jacket, some gaiters and an REI gift card from them so I'm all set for re-supplying for the upcoming hiking season. I think the lack of travel because of COVID is causing them to spend their travel dollars on Christmas presents.

We destroy a pair of hiking boots a year now, so that's where the gift card will get used, though I haven't decided on a pair yet.
Look into better boots?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Snowball's chance in hell I'm doing that shit until Wifey and I have been together for 18 years. Sister and cousin are on board as well. Rest of the family are too paranoid to do one.

Miscellany of small things and a notable amount of gift cards for karting from my parents.
Re 23 and me, why? Paranoid about what? Giving bio data to a corporation? Uneasy about what relationships you’ll find?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Lots of folks like certain footwear that has comfort/traction/weight aspects over durability these days, myself included. I never get more than a year out of my trail shoes
That’s an unfortunate tradeoff. One would think you could find all those things in a boot.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Re 23 and me, why? Paranoid about what? Giving bio data to a corporation? Uneasy about what relationships you’ll find?
Yeah all of those. Family is about corporations. Although they are all over FB...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I’ll go through five pairs of trail runners on my AT thru hike. Already blown through three pairs training. Almost all thru hikers are using trail runners.
You just have a bunch boxed up with other stuff and ask someone to post them general delivery based on your progress?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
You just have a bunch boxed up with other stuff and ask someone to post them general delivery based on your progress?
tons of options for resupply along the routes, here are just a few for the PCT, I personally like shipping to small outdoor shops in towns along the way when I want a hotel/shower

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
You could do that but it’s not really necessary since there are several outfitters along the trail, big box stores like REI are a shuttle away. And you can have shoes and gear delivered to a hostel or hotel. Amazon Prime will come in quite handy.

I’ll start in GA and get my second pair in Damascus, VA, around 475 miles.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Lots of folks like certain footwear that has comfort/traction/weight aspects over durability these days, myself included. I never get more than a year out of my trail shoes
Yup, I think this is it. I mean, I'm not buying cheap boots. But we do enough lengthy and technical hiking that the boots which typically meet my preferences (good grip, light weight) just don't seem to want to hold up for more than a season.

My La Sportiva Spire GTX boots from this past season served me well for the ~1k miles we put on them, but there are two tread knobs ripped off and tears in a few places.

I wouldn't mind finding a boot that will hold up for multiple seasons, I just haven't found a pair that will do that for me yet. I'm considering these Salomon X boots next, but they are also lightweight which makes me think they'll probably die in a year or so again.

I haven't switched to true trail runners yet. I feel like I'm clumsy enough and stick my foot into enough sharp rocks that I'd injure myself.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Got stocking stuffers courtesy of mother in law. Chocolates the main haul from that crop.

I did buy myself DH and commuter bikes earlier, the former of which is (still--didn't go today for time) waiting for me at Commencal. That plus that giant subwoofer I bought for Dune are really my presents to myself. :D

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Got stocking stuffers courtesy of mother in law. Chocolates the main haul from that crop.

I did buy myself DH and commuter bikes earlier, the former of which is (still--didn't go today for time) waiting for me at Commencal. That plus that giant subwoofer I bought for Dune are really my presents to myself. :D
Thursday's an even day for a run down the gut :p

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I just get Birthday stuff, I don't do xmas

Fitbit Versa 3 from Ruth

From me to me
Orvis Cleawater 10' 8wt fly rod
Echo Bravo 7-9 reel
Rio Predator 8wt Floating line
dozen streamers