Quantcast

The Holiday haul thread....

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Yup, I think this is it. I mean, I'm not buying cheap boots. But we do enough lengthy and technical hiking that the boots which typically meet my preferences (good grip, light weight) just don't seem to want to hold up for more than a season.

My La Sportiva Spire GTX boots from this past season served me well for the ~1k miles we put on them, but there are two tread knobs ripped off and tears in a few places.

I wouldn't mind finding a boot that will hold up for multiple seasons, I just haven't found a pair that will do that for me yet. I'm considering these Salomon X boots next, but they are also lightweight which makes me think they'll probably die in a year or so again.

I haven't switched to true trail runners yet. I feel like I'm clumsy enough and stick my foot into enough sharp rocks that I'd injure myself.
Pretty sure those are hiking slippers because they bare no resemblance to boots. With that in mind, it’s no surprise they only last one year. :P

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yup, I think this is it. I mean, I'm not buying cheap boots. But we do enough lengthy and technical hiking that the boots which typically meet my preferences (good grip, light weight) just don't seem to want to hold up for more than a season.

My La Sportiva Spire GTX boots from this past season served me well for the ~1k miles we put on them, but there are two tread knobs ripped off and tears in a few places.

I wouldn't mind finding a boot that will hold up for multiple seasons, I just haven't found a pair that will do that for me yet. I'm considering these Salomon X boots next, but they are also lightweight which makes me think they'll probably die in a year or so again.

I haven't switched to true trail runners yet. I feel like I'm clumsy enough and stick my foot into enough sharp rocks that I'd injure myself.

I had a pair of these that eventually died after ten years of regular use because the midsole was made from biodegradable materials. They changed the material a few years ago and that issue has been solved. However they weigh and cost more than multiple pairs of less durable boots.

You can kick boulders without feeling it and supportive enough that I think it would be impossible to ever turn an ankle.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
@dump guess I'm just not man enough to handle real hiking boots :D

Do you use trekking poles ? They have saved me from face planting several times.
I haven't really gotten to using trekking poles. We carry a pair usually but are typically hiking with an on-leash dog and I usually have the leash, so trekking poles are awkward. I use one occasionally when we don't take Sanchez, but typically just for descending.

It's less about face planting/balance and more that I tend to kick/scuff things (hence the tears in my existing La Sportivas) and I think I'd shred something that was even lighter.

I had a pair of these that eventually died after ten years of regular use because the midsole was made from biodegradable materials. They changed the material a few years ago and that issue has been solved. However they weigh and cost more than multiple pairs of less durable boots.

You can kick boulders without feeling it and supportive enough that I think it would be impossible to ever turn an ankle.
It's not so much the cost, more that I'm not sure I want to double the size/weight of my boots. I don't need the support because we don't do much backpacking, so moving fast and knocking out a 25 mile out-and-back with a daypack is more our speed.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
We carry a pair usually but are typically hiking with an on-leash dog and I usually have the leash, so trekking poles are awkward
Get a waist belt leash thingy. We've a couple of different ones and they're so much better for hiking, snowshoeing etc.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
@dump guess I'm just not man enough to handle real hiking boots :D

I haven't really gotten to using trekking poles. We carry a pair usually but are typically hiking with an on-leash dog and I usually have the leash, so trekking poles are awkward. I use one occasionally when we don't take Sanchez, but typically just for descending.

It's less about face planting/balance and more that I tend to kick/scuff things (hence the tears in my existing La Sportivas) and I think I'd shred something that was even lighter.

It's not so much the cost, more that I'm not sure I want to double the size/weight of my boots. I don't need the support because we don't do much backpacking, so moving fast and knocking out a 25 mile out-and-back with a daypack is more our speed.

I have to wear Hoka One One's because of arthritis in my big toe these days. I tend to kick and step on rocks off center. I miss the support and protection of the heavy boots and would happily run them again if I could do so comfortably.

Which reminds me, I should probably add whatever I need to tend to a broken toe or turned ankle to my pack.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I'm considering these Salomon X boots next, but they are also lightweight which makes me think they'll probably die in a year or so again
BV, I have their Cross Hike GTX. Very light, very good grip on rocks, speed laces stay tight, excellent fit for my foot. But, not burly. Also not waterproof but dries quickly. I'm typically out for >10 miles when I hike, not multi day (week?) walks. I'd buy then again.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I have to wear Hoka One One's because of arthritis in my big toe these days. I tend to kick and step on rocks off center. I miss the support and protection of the heavy boots and would happily run them again if I could do so comfortably.

Which reminds me, I should probably add whatever I need to tend to a broken toe or turned ankle to my pack.
The One One Toa is the other boot I'm considering. Jenn tried a pair of Hokas and loved them except for an issue with the heel that was cutting into her achilles tendon on one of the boots, which ultimately made them unworkable.

BV, I have their Cross Hike GTX. Very light, very good grip on rocks, speed laces stay tight, excellent fit for my foot. But, not burly. Also not waterproof but dries quickly. I'm typically out for >10 miles when I hike, not multi day (week?) walks. I'd buy then again.
My biggest hesitancy is with the speed laces. I've never owned a pair of boots with them before.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
The One One Toa is the other boot I'm considering. Jenn tried a pair of Hokas and loved them except for an issue with the heel that was cutting into her achilles tendon on one of the boots, which ultimately made them unworkable.

My biggest hesitancy is with the speed laces. I've never owned a pair of boots with them before.
The trail runners are worth giving a shot, They have some significant support either via Carbon fiber or fiberglass and have cushion like clouds. coupled with the right socks you will never have issues with water crossings or blisters again.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Get a waist belt leash thingy. We've a couple of different ones and they're so much better for hiking, snowshoeing etc.
Sanchez can't really hike off-leash very much because she has a prey drive, so we hike with a 20' leash and let her have a lot of running/sniffing room. Also helpful in very technical sections to let her get up/through ahead of us without pulling me.

I know I'm giving up a lot of convenience there but... eh, what can I say, we like giving her as much freedom as we can. But it requires a lot of slack management and can't be done from a waist leash.