Quantcast

The holy crap i've only flatted once this year thread

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
With how much i ride i'm amazed i've only had one flat on the trail this year. i've had to stop more for broken chains!

How many flats have you got this year?

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
None (not counting ones that I've ripped while putting my tire on). Haven't broken any chains either, which is amazing considering how many chains I've spliced together for my current chain.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Skookum said:
With how much i ride i'm amazed i've only had one flat on the trail this year. i've had to stop more for broken chains!

How many flats have you got this year?
You realize you will have a plague of flats from now until Dec 31st don't you?

:D Aren't you fixing your flats, err I mean riding this weekend

splat

Nam I am
I've had a few flats , not sure exactly how many, and I have had good luck with chains this year , only one gave me any trouble and that was riding with stosh the power link came apart. I put it back together and it has been fine ever since.

The bikes I went tubeless on have not had any issues at all, so maybe that is a hint.

It is funny Because I am right now in the process of Patching a bunch of tubes.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Quite a few actually. Sharp rocks and low pressure don't seem to be the hot ticket to a flat free existence.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Holy jinx, you guys are nuts!

I am not a religious man, but since I know the allmighty bicycle gods are listening, I will only say this: I do not know how many flats or chain problems I have had, but in light of all the great riding I have been blessed with they were small sacrifices that I made willingly. Amen.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Hmmm, no broken chains this year. I prefer to go bigger than that, apparently- I broke a rear shock spring (snapped in half), a headset (snapped in half) and a frame (headtube cracks).

Flats were not too bad. 2 on the XC bike (tubeless). 2 or 3 on the CX bike (had a double flat two weeks ago). I think 7 on the DH bike (4 in one day:( ).

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Due to a wonky valve in my rear tire it prepetually go flat after a day or two. It has been like that for more than a year and I am too lazy and cheap to replace it.

Does that only count as one?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
no flats that i can remember. at least one broken chain, maybe two. a dead rear hayes caliper, broken saddle, and broken pedal comprised the rest of this year's carnage.

amydanyalanataa, how does one flat 4 times on DH? what tires/tubes/pressure are you running?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I think I only had two flats this year. What I am psyched about is that I didn't break my chain once! For the couple of years, I was having issues there. I made a conscious effort to stop shifting in the middle of steep climbs.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
While I may have flatted I didn't have ANY other mechanicals except for a broken spoke! And I have been riding some very rocky stuff this past year. I thought I would lose at least a derailleur at N*. Been lucky this year!

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I've had several flats. Most xc flats, only 1 DH flat (I think that was due to the age of the tube).
Many of the flats were from strange stuff, like breaking some spokes - spoke shoots thru rim strip - into the tube. That happened twice this year.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I haven't had any flats this year, other than a really slow leak after the Snowshoe national. It took me two months to replace that tube because i'm lazy, and because Comp 32's are bastards to get off. I've broken 4 chains, all my fault, though. Tight chains don't seem to like chain growth...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Flats on all bikes: 10-12 (Only 1 on Minions/High Rollers)
Broken chains: 1
Hole scars where my leg sunk into my big ring after breaking a chain: 6
Replaced big rings with bash guards: 2

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Right now my back tire is needing air every 8 days or so. So i dont know if that counts as a flat or not? i have been filling it when it starts to get mushy. Works pretty good. Waiting to replace the tube when i have enough money to buy a new set of tires. round here we are cursed with an adundance of goatheads.

these things

and they'll pop your tube in an instance. Slime will hardly do them any justice. *sigh*

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i must admit i've had a few slow leakers, but they don't count.:rolleyes:

i thought it funny as others mention broken parts, i am reminded of my broken seat rail, a broken frame, a broken crank, and a blown up set of hubs/wheels but that's pretty normal for a years worth of riding.

But only one flat, that's pretty strange, especially considering i was running some thin whimpy Kenda Karma tires there for a while.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
Too many flats to count, well over a dozen. I had 3 flats in the previous 4 years, this year was just really terrible for me flat-wise. Also 2 broken chains, a rear derailleur, and a rear hub (DT Onyx. twice in three rides. I promptly went to King)