Quantcast

The Hot Sauce thread...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I made hotsauce this year. Its OK. It has the consistency of Vomit however. Will not attempt again. Others I know make it better and I am OK with that....
I ran into a similar issue and I was using a vitamix which has some power...It's obviously me not knowing what I am doing...

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
CC02BF03-8975-40B5-AF87-E8FA935BB817.jpeg

Posted before but not in this thread.
Really enjoyed the secret aardvark. Reminded me of the stuff i used to get when i lived in the caribean.

Still have a bottlle of the DaBomb stuff left, its spicy but not a huge fan of the flavor.

The spicy Potato chips and wine gums are just too addicting...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The aardvark is your typical habanero sauce..
Which means it burns just right on the front of your tastebuds but it doesnt come back to mess up the rest of your day.

This means i put it on absolutely everything and then some.
Add another couple of bottles to your list cause youll be wanting a lot of it!
The Black Bean on steaks is my new fav.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Tonight I picked up a bottle of this after seeing it in this thread. I thought what the hell why not? I was sorely disappointed, barely gringo hot. So I fixed it up a bit by tossing two large fresh Habaneros into the food processor and making a puree that I then added to the bottle. That gave it a nice fruity kick. It made the bottle usable

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I ran into a similar issue and I was using a vitamix which has some power...It's obviously me not knowing what I am doing...
when i was making hot sauce, i used my food processor. i'd just do small pulse bursts until i got the ride consistency and not overshoot it (although that did happen with the first batch).

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Are those Peruvian rocoto Chiles? I can get them down here pretty easily on Peruvian vegetable shops, and I make my own sauce by chopping them to little pieces and mixing them with chopped garlic, maghetta Italian chiles and extra virgin olive oil. Put them in a bottle and let them season for a week or two.

When in the spring I can grab Venezuelan ajíes dulces (sweet Chiles) pretty easily, so I throw a bunch into my recipe.

My grampa was Italian, he had an orchard in our backyard, and about 25% of its surface was allocated to several chile species. At 7 I started helping him to make his chile blends at the early autumn evenings. We would chop a couple buckets of fresh chiles, mash maybe 10 garlic heads and then stuff the mix into old wine bottles. The leftovers were promptly consumed with homemade bread and a bit of extra virgin olive oil.

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Are those Peruvian rocoto Chiles? I can get them down here pretty easily on Peruvian vegetable shops, and I make my own sauce by chopping them to little pieces and mixing them with chopped garlic, maghetta Italian chiles and extra virgin olive oil. Put them in a bottle and let them season for a week or two.

When in the spring I can grab Venezuelan ajíes dulces (sweet Chiles) pretty easily, so I throw a bunch into my recipe.

My grampa was Italian, he had an orchard in our backyard, and about 25% of its surface was allocated to several chile species. At 7 I started helping him to make is chile blends at the early autumn evenings. We would chop a couple buckets of fresh chiles, mash maybe 10 garlic heads and then stuff the mix into old wine bottles. The leftovers were promptly consumed with homemade bread and a bit of extra virgin olive oil.
Habanero Chilies

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Received my Secret Aardvark starter kit consisting of Drunken Jerk, Drunken Garlic and Habanero sauce. I was really looking forward to the Drunken Garlic but ended up being fairly disappointed. It’s too heavy on the Soy sauce while being too light on the black beans and garlic for my tastes and ends up just very salty without being flavorful. I can whip up something more to my liking with ingredients from the Asian market.

The Drunken jerk I can definitely use as a marinade, but haven’t had enough opportunity to do so.

The Habanero sauce is great. Not very hot, but really fruity and tasty overall. The first bottle was already 1/3rd gone before the contents even had the chance to touch other food, so I will definitely be using this regularly.

Just noticed I can get Valentina and Cholula on Amazon over here. Does anyone have experience with Cholula Chipotle? My only reference point is Tabasco’s Chipotle sauce, which is alright but too acidic and thin for my liking, so it would be nice if the Cholula was different in those respects.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Just noticed I can get Valentina and Cholula on Amazon over here. Does anyone have experience with Cholula Chipotle? My only reference point is Tabasco’s Chipotle sauce, which is alright but too acidic and thin for my liking, so it would be nice if the Cholula was different in those respects.
Cholula is what you would find in most no-name mexican and burger joints, alongside tabasco. Meh, not worth the expense IMHO.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Anyone tried a recipe like this one? Having dirt cheap peppers in the store, the temptation is strong...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My Brother took me to Colossal Taco in Buffalo. They had a hotsauce on the food that crushed my soul. They warned me that it was really hot. A couple of bites in. The owner recognized I was struggling to eat it. She nicely made me a another plate. My brother ate all his. He was sweating pretty badly.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
My Brother took me to Colossal Taco in Buffalo. They had a hotsauce on the food that crushed my soul. They warned me that it was really hot. A couple of bites in. The owner recognized I was struggling to eat it. She nicely made me a another plate. My brother ate all his. He was sweating pretty badly.
Do want.
If youre not sweating and your nose isnt running its not hotsauce.