Quantcast

The "I Have Zero Faith In Humanity" Thread

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Uber culture is in question

At a staff meeting Tuesday, the company will convey the results of a probe conducted by Eric Holder, the former U.S. attorney general who Uber hired to look into allegations of harassment, discrimination and an aggressive culture. The 47 recommendations include creating a board oversight committee, rewriting Uber’s cultural values, reducing alcohol use at work events, and prohibiting intimate relationships between employees and their bosses.
/nofunzone

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
I would bet that all of those drivers applied for a truck driving job and after they got the job, were offered a chance to be an Owner/Operator. You can drive for us for 12 an hour or lease a truck from us and get the sub contractor rate which would be way more $$. They liked the idea of being their own bosses and who wouldn't? The lease contracts were probably banking on the fact they couldn't read English that good and had a poor understanding of leases. It is sad, but other than the DOT rule breaking, it is perfectly legal. Sad for the workers who just want to get ahead.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would bet that all of those drivers applied for a truck driving job and after they got the job, were offered a chance to be an Owner/Operator. You can drive for us for 12 an hour or lease a truck from us and get the sub contractor rate which would be way more $$. They liked the idea of being their own bosses and who wouldn't? The lease contracts were probably banking on the fact they couldn't read English that good and had a poor understanding of leases. It is sad, but other than the DOT rule breaking, it is perfectly legal. Sad for the workers who just want to get ahead.
:stupid:

Guys that are true owner/ops CAN make more money, but it is one of those industries that has learned how to exploit the idea of "independent contractor" (how they treat strippers in Oregon). As a contractor, the company can leverage your work without having to provide protections like medical benefits, set hours or safe working conditions. If as a contractor you take that into consideration when negotiating your pay rate ($$$/hour), then you can account for all the "extras" and still make a living wage.

My guess is the way the lease contract lays out, it looks like they take home more $$$/mile than as an employee but subtract the cost of the rig and it is $.67/week like homeboy was getting.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
If there is any justice left, somebodies going to go to jail, for a long fucking time.

The cladding panels used at Grenfell Tower were of an aluminum composite material. Critics of the material have warned for years that aluminum surface sheets can melt in a fire, after which a blaze could race through the flammable polyethylene insulation between the sheets.

Prime Minister Theresa May’s announcement about the testing — made at the start of a parliamentary discussion — left lawmakers visibly surprised.

“Shortly before I came to this chamber, I was informed that a number of tests have come back as combustible,” Mrs. May told lawmakers. “The relevant local authorities and local fire services have been informed, and as I speak, they are taking all possible steps to ensure buildings are safe, and to inform affected residents.”

After the debate, Mrs. May’s office told journalists that 600 buildings had panels “similar” to those used in Grenfell Tower. The office later amended that statement, saying that the number 600 referred to tall buildings with aluminum panels, and that not all of them would have potentially combustible materials.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not sure if here, or mot all bad news? :panic:

Who said bong shed video games wouldn't get you anywhere?

University of California Irvine students will have the chance to earn an Overwatch scholarship come the Fall 2017 season.

Overwatch joins League of Legends as a scholarship title at the public university. The program initially debuted last fall, the first of its kind for a public college.
Yes, you read that correctly, you can get a scholarship to UC Irvine. :twitch:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
WRONG! ^^

the giant ice wall keeps everything from falling off the edge of the world. DUH!!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Thanks again Baby Boomers: https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-09-05/if-youre-drinking-tap-water-youre-consuming-plastic-pollutants

If synthetic fibers are in tap water, they’re also likely in foods prepared with water, such as bread, pasta, soup and baby formula, researchers say.
Experts are concerned these fibers may transfer toxins, acting as a kind of shuttle for dangerous chemicals from the freshwater environment into the human body.

In animal studies, “it became clear very early on that the plastic would release those chemicals and that actually, the conditions in the gut would facilitate really quite rapid release,” said Richard Thompson, the associate dean for research at Plymouth University.

“We have enough data from looking at wildlife and the impacts that it's having on wildlife” to be concerned, said professor Sherri Mason, a microplastics research pioneer who supervised Orb’s study. “If it's impacting them, then how do we think that it's not going to somehow impact us?”
The world cranks out 300 million tons of plastic each year. More than 40 percent of that mass is used just once, sometimes for less than a minute, and discarded. But plastic persists in the environment for centuries. A recent study estimates more than 8.3 billion tons of plastic have been produced worldwide since the 1950s.

Last edited: