Quantcast

The "I Have Zero Faith In Humanity" Thread

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

...For adults ages 20 and older, a BMI of 30 and above is considered obese.

The previous charts for children did not go beyond a BMI of 37. The new charts extend to a BMI of 60...
BMI is kind of dumb. When I was a hunky surfer rower guy I was "obese" with an anorexic 4.5% body fat.

But hella packed yo

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Wow, that BMI calculator was depressing. I have work to do.
(but I knew that without the calculator, however, it is reinforcing my resolve).
some years I gain 10+ pounds between the last of riding season and January, this is just one of those years. It usually takes me about a month to shut my pie-hole, and burn it off.
Kinda fighting some chunky Dutch genetics.

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
BMI is total bs. Read about the history of how it was developed. It’s a joke.
For the do your own research crowd.

I think the point that the published BMI range needs to be expanded significantly likely does correlate with obesity. I doubt kids are trending towards swollen with muscles and bone density.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
…Using BMI of 37 vs 60 for kids as noted in the article, let’s just imagine one at 5 feet tall. 190 lbs yields a 37 BMI. 310 lbs gets you about 60. I doubt I’ve seen a person of those dimensions before. If that really is a number they need to round out the chart then I’d like to understand why.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
BMI is kind of dumb. When I was a hunky surfer rower guy I was "obese" with an anorexic 4.5% body fat.

But hella packed yo
Yeah, whenever this comes up, all of a sudden everyone claims to be a body builder...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

But hella packed yo
tittiwop
Wow, that BMI calculator was depressing. I have work to do.
(but I knew that without the calculator, however, it is reinforcing my resolve).
some years I gain 10+ pounds between the last of riding season and January, this is just one of those years. It usually takes me about a month to shut my pie-hole, and burn it off.
Kinda fighting some chunky Dutch genetics.
you may be fat-skinny
22.2 for me so bang in the middle of "healthy".
you may be skinny-fat

for both of you the truth would be told via a DEXA or Bod Pod (or water immersion if that's your thing) body composition test
BMI is total bs. Read about the history of how it was developed. It’s a joke.
for most people off the street it is a reasonable estimate
…Using BMI of 37 vs 60 for kids as noted in the article, let’s just imagine one at 5 feet tall. 190 lbs yields a 37 BMI. 310 lbs gets you about 60. I doubt I’ve seen a person of those dimensions before. If that really is a number they need to round out the chart then I’d like to understand why.
highest BMI I've seen is 94 or so iirc, while rotating through the bariatric surgery clinic during intern year. < 5' Latina, as wide at the hips as she was tall seemingly.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I dated a girl who was on crew

but she was the coxswain so was merely very smol

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
It's just a byproduct of a life of nothing but absolute exhaustion and strain.

misery
The 'professional' rower chicks I associated with suffered from all sorts of ego/ptsd mental issues. They lived on an extreme end of life. They all came to USA from other countries just to row/escape their families so I can't really relate to their experiences, me being a local dirtbag trying to get sober.

The 'professional' rower chicks I associated with suffered from all sorts of ego/ptsd mental issues. They lived on an extreme end of life. They all came to USA from other countries just to row/escape their families so I can't really relate to their experiences, me being a local dirtbag trying to get sober.
Professional anything in athletics suxors.