Quantcast

The "I Have Zero Faith In Humanity" Thread

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
The 'professional' rower chicks I associated with suffered from all sorts of ego/ptsd mental issues. They lived on an extreme end of life. They all came to USA from other countries just to row/escape their families so I can't really relate to their experiences, me being a local dirtbag trying to get sober.
The ex pro rower I used to go out with was anything but that.
Nikki was once of the most balanced and sorted people I've ever met.
Just chatting to her you'd never know she was an Olympic medalist and now a surgeon (After retiring she went to medical school and became an ENT surgeon).

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Just chatting to her you'd never know she was an Olympic medalist and now a surgeon (After retiring she went to medical school and became an ENT surgeon).
Yeah, those rower chicks didn't associate with me.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Same. A good friend of mine is a former Olympic medalist rower. She's now a Director in the civil service. Very nice, well balanced and smart person.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Who falls for this shit? "It's the CIA, if you don't give us $5k we will raid your joint"

We only have $380

"We'll take it" :rofl:

Same people who fall for this shit?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Who falls for this shit? "It's the CIA, if you don't give us $5k we will raid your joint"

We only have $380

"We'll take it" :rofl:

I do take great joy in the fact that a BEND place with that name got fleeced by the "CIA"

Kinda wish the owner's name was a little more honkey tho....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
At my dad's funeral, my kindergarten teacher told my mom how impressed she was that I was one of the few children that showed up to kindergarten able to read and I was shocked. I grew up in a house full of books and was read to basically from birth. Unless you have a disability, you should know how to read by school age. As a parent, that's one of your jobs to set your kid up for success.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
At my dad's funeral, my kindergarten teacher told my mom how impressed she was that I was one of the few children that showed up to kindergarten able to read and I was shocked. I grew up in a house full of books and was read to basically from birth. Unless you have a disability, you should know how to read by school age. As a parent, that's one of your jobs to set your kid up for success.
with two parents and time to spare that seems pretty realistic

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
i think you did not read the article. and the associated materials. reading doesn't come naturally to humans. for some, it's really difficult. no matter the parents they have, no matter the support they get. I have two boys. one is a really strong reader, the other... not so much. I spent a tenth of one percent with the strong reader as I'm spending with the other. we read together every night, usually 30-40 minutes. I read a page, he reads a page etc... He gets two hours with a tutor, special support from a "resource teacher" at school, and has worked with speech pathologist for three years now. what we are discovering is that while he hears well, his brain doesn't process sound equally from both ears, and he's well below what is expected of kids his age. He doesn't have a disability per se (ADHD is not considered a disability), but he just processes things differently. kids brains are plastic, and will continue maturing until they're in their 20s.

All this to say, I think an approach that is grounded science is what's needed. I don't think it has to do with parents, caus' if you don't know how to teach your kid, you will fail as miserably as the teachers in that article.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i think you did not read the article. and the associated materials. reading doesn't come naturally to humans. for some, it's really difficult. no matter the parents they have, no matter the support they get. I have two boys. one is a really strong reader, the other... not so much. I spent a tenth of one percent with the strong reader as I'm spending with the other. we read together every night, usually 30-40 minutes. I read a page, he reads a page etc... He gets two hours with a tutor, special support from a "resource teacher" at school, and has worked with speech pathologist for three years now. what we are discovering is that while he hears well, his brain doesn't process sound equally from both ears, and he's well below what is expected of kids his age. He doesn't have a disability per se (ADHD is not considered a disability), but he just processes things differently. kids brains are plastic, and will continue maturing until they're in their 20s.

All this to say, I think an approach that is grounded science is what's needed. I don't think it has to do with parents, caus' if you don't know how to teach your kid, you will fail as miserably as the teachers in that article.
But you are putting in the effort. So many parents today expect the school to teach the kid to read and that isn't practical. The school should help them for sure, challenge them, but I still think it falls on the parents.

I'm well aware of my spoiled upbringing and the advantage it afforded me. Growing up in an educated 2 parent household with a stay at home mom who happened to have a PhD in mathematics was nice for sure.

I still tested out of high school at 16, I was never good with turning in homework. :rofl:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It's still amazing that she could feed all 6 kids on a single income. Mom was the epic coupon clipper (also math whiz). When I hit 3rd grade (I'm the youngest) she went back to work.

She graduated 3 years before pops then started having kids, never did a damn thing with her degree. What a fucked up generation, she should have been at JPL or NASA. But that's not what good Catholic girls do, I guess.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
We had those S&H stamps at one point. There were three of us under 10, my mom not working, and my dad on a young guy librarian salary. We didn't have any of the nice stuff other kids had, but the house (and cost of living in Baltimore) was pretty cheap in the early '70's.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
We must be related. My parents grew up during the depression, so they had some serious skills stretching a buck.
What's funny is mom never got out of the habit of it either. Even when it was just me in the house in high school, we still had 8 boxes of cereal that she paid $3 for. :rofl:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Sigh

CBC.ca: City of Hamilton says 59 million more litres of wastewater flowed into Lake Ontario.

"More" is in reference to..
The city confirmed the sewage leak on Monday during a risk-based proactive inspection program prompted by a separate, 337-million-litre sewage spill discovered in late November.

Last edited: