Quantcast

The "I Have Zero Faith In Humanity" Thread

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Two of my neighbors don't work. They are both close to my age. Dallas claims to be looking from time to time, but hasn't worked since they moved in 6 years ago. Brian used to work, but hasn't worked since he was laid off from Linens and Things like 10 years ago.

When I was out for 6 months after the .com debacle, I drove tow truck for almost a year while I went back to school. I was going nuts at home on unemployment. I ended up full time in the National Guard and after graduation was back in tech making real money. But it took some work. I can't imagine just being home.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Interesting how Daily Mail reports quite a bit more info about the tragedy than the SF Gate. The video footage is sick.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
of all the bullshit honkey toys, the other end of the line needs to include "remote detonation"

If that's what skiing does, just imagine what the hardtail 29er crew is going to cause this spring. And that's like a 100% iphone ownership :rofl:

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
watching the state of the union in the room where a bunch of Qamorons took selfies....

The hob knobbing between many faces I absolutely know is disgusting. The united states didn't shed the tyranny of monarchy. It just figured out how to make more money off of it. This is a room of performative royalty.

Can you spot the attention whore?

attentionwhore.JPG

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I scrolled through this pretty quickly when you initially posted it, but I wanted to point something out.

I really really wish these news-ish outlets would not just uncritically repost whatever some of these so called environmental groups claim.

For example
Some 60,000 acres of BLM land adjacent to near-pristine Death Valley National Park have been proposed for industrial solar. One of the sites is Sarcobatus Flat, a wild place mostly empty of human habitation, which is a value in itself, as wildlife needs big open spaces free of the meddling of Homo sapiens. Situated in the Great Basin-Mojave transition zone, Sarcobatus is a vast valley of Joshua trees, greasewood, and blackbrush. The Joshua tree, which the Fish and Wildlife Service is considering for protection under the Endangered Species Act, is on a path to extinction, Joshua tree woodlands being one of the most imperiled ecosystems in the American West. The solar project at Sarcobatus Flat would kill, bulldoze, and stack in cordwood piles between 50,000 and 70,000 of the trees, according to a field estimate by the nonprofit Basin and Range Watch.

Here's the problem with that: There are no joshua trees in Sarcobatus Flat. This is between a highway I've driven a good bit and death valley national park which I've been to several times. I know where the trees are. There are some north of there by about 60 miles....but not where the solar array is planned.

But sTaCkEd iN cOrDwOoD sure makes a good fundraising image.

There's something similar in there from the Center for Biological Diversity (whom I have some personal experience with) regarding theoretical future tortoise migration. We have real problems and these fuckbag not-environmental groups are only interested in scaring people with non-realities, and padding their pockets.

If I didn't live near the area, I wouldn't know any of this.....just take them at their word. These are pretty desolate stretches of desert that are perfect for large solar arrays. Instead, it's supporting a lecherous propaganda-driven grift, every bit as unscrupulous as the oil industry.

I agree with the larger point that electrifying everything will do fuck all for stopping the mass extinction we're undergoing. But tortoises can walk right by solar panels. And joshua trees in a general vicinity doesn't mean they'll be mowed down.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Portland will technically be Walmart free, crazy.
I was just in OKC and I noticed some pretty extreme stuff. They had like most of the car exits out of the parking lot blocked with stacks of pallets and then in the store, there's an electronic gate you have to go through now to get in/out. I assume they can stop that gate.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
First we lose the Walmart, now the Cracker Barrel. :disgust1:

Remember when there was a Huge Push to not allow Walmart? Way Back,when this all started,Walmart was going to kill the smaller stores and they did. Here we are today,and Walmart gave up. Due to drugs,people stealing,even there own employe’s.
Of course, this story also has the politic’s of it all,allowing no punishment for such acts.

Avy

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Remember when there was a Huge Push to not allow Walmart? Way Back,when this all started,Walmart was going to kill the smaller stores and they did. Here we are today,and Walmart gave up. Due to drugs,people stealing,even there own employe’s.
Of course, this story also has the politic’s of it all,allowing no punishment for such acts.

Avy
A big part of the issue in Portland right now is police staffing. After all the riots and looting, cops got sued for excessive force and the department and city tossed them under the bus. So many either quit or went somewhere else. And backfilling has been a bitch because Portland Police is a job nobody wants.

There's also a huge lack of public defender's, so a lot of criminals are set free because there is no one to defend them against prosecution.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
city tossed them under the bus.
uh huh

They cut a tiny portion of the PPB budget in 2020 and quickly reversed it all and more than made up for it on the backside. The huge contingent of people in your area who hate the police just hurt their feelings so they don't do their jobs anymore.

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
A big part of the issue in Portland right now is police staffing. After all the riots and looting, cops got sued for excessive force and the department and city tossed them under the bus. So many either quit or went somewhere else. And backfilling has been a bitch because Portland Police is a job nobody wants.
Right, because the cops hands were tied.

Avy

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
uh huh

They cut a tiny portion of the PPB budget in 2020 and quickly reversed it all and more than made up for it on the backside. The huge contingent of people in your area who hate the police just hurt their feelings so they don't do their jobs anymore.
According to the cops, I should have said. :rofl:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
According to the cops, I should have said. :rofl:
I followed portland pretty closely but it was the same in san francisco, los angeles, new york.......city officials talked about, and a very few actually did start to change cop budgets. And cops lost their fucking minds, threw tantrums, and quit doing their jobs to 'show' the community that they're needed.

I know portland's gun violence and murder rates went up but everywhere else they fabricated a 'crime wave' based on statistics of crime going up slightly.......but only compared to mid lockdown pandemic conditions. I even called this with nypd when all the cop union idiots started doing press releases about some of their new accountability bills going through the city.

There's someone I follow in portland who started recording 911 and police station calls when she would call in 'break ins' and 'car thefts' once people started suspecting this was happening. They would tell her they were short staffed/couldn't come/didn't have the resources while she was looking though windows at the station and watching them play board games.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I followed portland pretty closely but it was the same in san francisco, los angeles, new york.......city officials talked about, and a very few actually did start to change cop budgets. And cops lost their fucking minds, threw tantrums, and quit doing their jobs to 'show' the community that they're needed.

I know portland's gun violence and murder rates went up but everywhere else they fabricated a 'crime wave' based on statistics of crime going up slightly.......but only compared to mid lockdown pandemic conditions.

There's someone I follow in portland who started recording 911 and police station calls when she would call in 'break ins' and 'car thefts' once people started suspecting this was happening. They would tell her they were short staffed while she was looking though windows at the station and watching them play board games.
My hood is wicked conservative and very blue lives matter. It's always interesting to hear my neighbors perspective on how things are going down in Portland. We are 20 minutes north of downtown, yet we somehow boarder Alabama. Columbia county is VERY different.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
we somehow boarder Alabama.
worse........Vancouver ;)

I mean it's a pretty well crafted narrative. Fox news, cop unions, and the like raise hell about cops being defunded (even though it didn't actually happen anywhere), cops slack on their jobs even more than they already do, and then pearl clutching city leaders who are almost always prominent business people with things to protect give them more money. When fuckin ted wheeler is your mayor, that's like the perfect audience to perform for.

One of brain's last posts here was complaining about exactly that, that oakland defunded their police so that's why crime was going up. I showed him city budgets but too late, it's in his head. I mean, it worked. Like portland, oakland has had a slack ass police force for a looooong time so they know what they're doing.