Quantcast

The "I Have Zero Faith In Humanity" Thread

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
worse........Vancouver ;)

I mean it's a pretty well crafted narrative. Fox news, cop unions, and the like raise hell about cops being defunded (even though it didn't actually happen anywhere), cops slack on their jobs even more than they already do, and then pearl clutching city leaders who are almost always prominent business people with things to protect give them more money. When fuckin ted wheeler is your mayor, that's like the perfect audience to perform for.

One of brain's last posts here was complaining about exactly that, that oakland defunded their police so that's why crime was going up. I showed him city budgets but too late, it's in his head. I mean, it worked. Like portland, oakland has had a slack ass police force for a looooong time so they know what they're doing.
woo,you forgot the 900 dollar misdemaner law. Smash and grab or just going in Mob style stealing,food,iPhones whatever? Cops can arrest them and they walk right out the door? That Law has Huge problems,and should have never passed. They claim no room? This will help they say. Joke

Avy

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
worse........Vancouver ;)

I mean it's a pretty well crafted narrative. Fox news, cop unions, and the like raise hell about cops being defunded (even though it didn't actually happen anywhere), cops slack on their jobs even more than they already do, and then pearl clutching city leaders who are almost always prominent business people with things to protect give them more money. When fuckin ted wheeler is your mayor, that's like the perfect audience to perform for.

One of brain's last posts here was complaining about exactly that, that oakland defunded their police so that's why crime was going up. I showed him city budgets but too late, it's in his head. I mean, it worked. Like portland, oakland has had a slack ass police force for a looooong time so they know what they're doing.
If anyone has a finger on the pulse of today's white man struggle, it's Brian.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I cringe every time I have to cross either bridge but 5 is way worse.
That makes me even sadder. We lived just north of downtown between the 5 and Fruit Valley. I'd ride my bike down to Esther Short park all the time to get coffee or bagels. Downtown was adorable at the time.

Edit. The wife and I used to go to the starbucks on 8th just to watch people try and parallel park. :rofl:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That makes me even sadder. We lived just north of downtown between the 5 and Fruit Valley. I'd ride my bike down to Esther Short park all the time to get coffee or bagels. Downtown was adorable at the time.

Edit. The wife and I used to go to the starbucks on 8th just to watch people try and parallel park. :rofl:
The I5 bridge was never intended for the level of traffic it has now and the bridge expansion has been an ongoing issue that may never be solved. That whole stretch from downtown to the bridge is just a shitshow nearly anytime day or night.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
The I5 bridge was never intended for the level of traffic it has now and the bridge expansion has been an ongoing issue that may never be solved. That whole stretch from downtown to the bridge is just a shitshow nearly anytime day or night.
Well, yeah. That always been true. I was working graveyard shift at the time or never even would have considered that commute. It was always fun to have to call work and say I was going to be late because they had raised the bridge for some a-holes sail boat.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Fucking Karen.

Karen said:
“We started this effort by developing a list of 40 books in the library’s collection that contain extremely distateful content,”

“The public library is no place for sex and violence. That’s what television is for.”

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It's believable if you know Camby. :rofl:

<edit> I should have read the comments.
Didn't you get to this part?

"Bennett attempted to explain how the move would be a violation of the First Amendment rights of every library user besides Karen Cassidy, to which McKillips responded by covering her ears and screaming, “Na-na na-na boo-boo, I can’t hear you.”"

:rofl:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Even when recruiters arent lying, this is a great example of how you really don’t understand some things until you experience them. People go ape shit if you tell them kids signing up for student loans have no idea what they are doing, but its the same thing. Kids think they know what they are getting into, but theres just no way they understand and comprehend before actually experiencing it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I laughed when I thought about all the crap I lied about when I joined. :rofl:

just make it a requirement for "citizen" status and they'll fight all the giant bugs we want. Even help doogie houser declare the fear felt by a giant vagina

The other thing mentioned in/central to that article is recruiting in schools, which should be banned.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The other thing mentioned in/central to that article is recruiting in schools, which should be banned.
Why should it be banned? I know when I was looking, the Army and Marines were way more aggressive than the Navy, but I don't think they should be banned. Especially with so many kids not going to college, service is a valid option. I know I would likely be dead by now had I not joined the Navy.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California

The Army rejected me because despite my recruiter's insistence that I lie, I was truthful about my medical history at the MEPS. Still not sure precisely which problem got me booted...

A few years later, I had some Navy (IIRC) recruiters telling me that they'd get me a new social security number so that I could enlist with them. :rofl:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The Army rejected me because despite my recruiter's insistence that I lie, I was truthful about my medical history at the MEPS. Still not sure precisely which problem got me booted...

A few years later, I had some Navy (IIRC) recruiters telling me that they'd get me a new social security number so that I could enlist with them. :rofl:
The last step at MEPS (when I went in) was straight out of the movies. They had me in a room with a guy and a girl grilling me about anything I might have missed or lied about or omitted out of fear. I mentioned being held by police but no charges and they tossed me out. My recruiter had to resubmit all my shit to MEPS and they fast tracked me though the next day. It was pretty funny.

<edit> I was totally honest on my original application. The recruiter made me redo it with zero drug history. :rofl: I was on delayed entry for 6 months to get the weed out of my system.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I find it interesting that a sprained wrist as a child that required no medical intervention, not even pain killers can disqualify you but I find this line pretty telling...

"Recruiters for other services echoed the Marine’s take: that Genesis makes processing too long, allowing kids to back out or change their mind before they have signed their contract."

So a boo boo when a child can keep you out, but they break out the razzle dazzle for you to sign, but are then upset when with some reflection, you decide maybe that it is not the best for you... but alas, too bad for you, we have your signature....your soul is mine.

Sounds like a fine system.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
The last step at MEPS (when I went in) was straight out of the movies. They had me in a room with a guy and a girl grilling me about anything I might have missed or lied about or omitted out of fear. I mentioned being held by police but no charges and they tossed me out. My recruiter had to resubmit all my shit to MEPS and they fast tracked me though the next day. It was pretty funny.

<edit> I was totally honest on my original application. The recruiter made me redo it with zero drug history. :rofl: I was on delayed entry for 6 months to get the weed out of my system.
Kind of a similar experience: After taking the ASVAB and the physical exam, a bunch of us were in a classroom setting filling out medical history forms. A couple of dudes were walking up and down the aisles strongly reminding us that if we lied, we could be fined or prosecuted. I decided it wasn't worth it.

My issue must have been really bad in the eyes of Uncle Sam (Anxiety? Past concussion?), because my recruiter didn't even make an attempt to get me back in.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
https://www.nwpb.org/2023/04/09/drag-shows-face-protests-in-the-tri-cities-part-one/

Only the best people...

"concerned citizens" have been protesting local family friendly drag shows. These things are very nefarious you know.
We usually wear bright colors and fun costumes that resemble characters from Disney shows; lip sync to all-ages appropriate music from Disney and others, read all-age appropriate stories, and talk about love and acceptance,” said Wabaunsee.

With a name like Cherry Snowhite, maybe they ought to be up on stage at the show?
“We’re gonna have men that are dressed up like women, it’s going to be very confusing for kids. As a child: we climbed trees, we had fun, we played with our friends. But we weren’t worried about what sex people were, exposing them to guys that are women and may be interested in children,” said Snowhite.
And as a follow-up, one venue - a Thai restaurant and music venue - received this gem in the mail the other day.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Why should it be banned? I know when I was looking, the Army and Marines were way more aggressive than the Navy, but I don't think they should be banned. Especially with so many kids not going to college, service is a valid option. I know I would likely be dead by now had I not joined the Navy.
in the region where i went to school, they pretty much only recruited in the poor areas / school districts.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Even when recruiters arent lying, this is a great example of how you really don’t understand some things until you experience them. People go ape shit if you tell them kids signing up for student loans have no idea what they are doing, but its the same thing. Kids think they know what they are getting into, but theres just no way they understand and comprehend before actually experiencing it.

But the military has a long history of transparency and honesty