Quantcast

The "I Have Zero Faith In Humanity" Thread

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Saw that a few days ago. When Walmart starts building trails it's all over.
Honestly I don't really have an issue with it in urban/suburban areas. That's looks like a hell of a lot more of a fun way to get to school than I had.

Doesn't really have anything to do with mountainbiking though....which he admittedly says. A 200 dollar bmx bike goes a long way on that stuff.

You know it's going to creep out further into the woods though.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I'm torn.
Part of me cringes, but then again I have seen even well built trails get totally blown out in a single season. If it is in town and they get massive use, then I kinda get it. The one piece of flagstone work was sick. The stamped concrete at least looks better than asphalt. Not sure of the mushroom trip night lighting. A cruiser bmx would be a hoot on some of that stuff.

I would have killed for that sidewalk when I was a kid. Fuck, who is kidding who, I would still have a blast on it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Walmart has been building (funding) trails for at least 15 years now.
One of the Waltons went to some fancy private school (for rich dumb kids) near where I lived in Virginia. He paid to have about 10 miles of trail built on school property. There were a lot of cool trails there, steep techy east coast rox, the ones the Waltons built were not those. My friend Chris built the cool ones, or he made shithead kids on detention build them. Also trails are more enjoyable when they were built with the blood of poorly behaved trustafarians.

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I agree with the mindset of trails need to be armored appropriately for the volume of use. Especially armored against brake dragging tourists. I only made it 4 minutes into that video before I said, enough! Mine eyes can't take this "trail" nonsense. Those are now pathways and have lost the designation of trail.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I agree with the mindset of trails need to be armored appropriately for the volume of use. Especially armored against brake dragging tourists. I only made it 4 minutes into that video before I said, enough! Mine eyes can't take this "trail" nonsense. Those are now pathways and have lost the designation of trail.
the former sport of mountainbiking is becoming a dry waterslide park for your 7k toy

if only there were another genre that produced tools more appropriate and cheaper :rofl:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
the former sport of mountainbiking is becoming a dry waterslide park for your 7k toy

if only there were another genre that produced tools more appropriate and cheaper :rofl:
Bentonville is one end of the spectrum for sure. Bend trails are over there somewhere also. Fruita/GJ does a better job of balancing the chaos.

There's plenty of other places to ride that are more rugged and less frequented. They just aren't in tourist towns.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
mountainbikers are the best people

Americans have issues in general. There are entitled assholes across the board.

Trailforks is cool when I'm traveling. There's trails everywhere! If someone is surfing strava segments of trailforks to find a place to ride, that's OK in my book. These people want to ride their bikes!

The sport has grown and the meccas are out there for all the mtb enthusiasts willing to travel. It's grown to the point these tourist spots are over run and we old school dirt bags say wtf is this shit. Get off my lawn! Back in my day we rode uphill both ways and had cantilever brakes on our bmx bikes with mag wheels. We built our own trails cause there wasnt any trails. We drove 23 hours to get to Moab every spring and all we did was ride on 4x4 trails and smoke wacky tabaccy along the Colorado River.

Now the access is easy, the bikes are easy, the trails are easy, and all the newbies don't know shit from shinola. Weed is legal and theres electric bikes with wireless shifting ans dropper posts. Face it man, we are getting old and mtb is evolving for the new generation of riders.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Now the access is easy, the bikes are easy, the trails are easy, and all the newbies don't know shit from shinola. Weed is legal and theres electric bikes with wireless shifting ans dropper posts. Face it man, we are getting old and mtb is evolving for the new generation of riders.
Oh don't misunderstand me for some old grumbling fossil just not willing to face a new reality. I'm still fully capable of slashing the tires of these peoples' teslas in the parking lot. The neverending sense of hope and optimism is my secret!

dood

shinola

nice.......

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Nobody says you've gotta be mtb 4 life, I've got friends who've moved on - they still have their bikes but don't ride them. They have motorcycles they ride now. You know anyone like that? Gotta move out of the tourist town and find some redneck rural living to keep the sanity.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Nobody says you've gotta be mtb 4 life, I've got friends who've moved on - they still have their bikes but don't ride them. They have motorcycles they ride now. You know anyone like that? Gotta move out of the tourist town and find some redneck rural living to keep the sanity.
Will definitely be checking out some of the small mountain towns along the AT next year for the future home of Angryland. Some place where there are more roots n' rocks than bobsled runs. Time to get the fuck out of the city that grew up around my little art hood and devoured it.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Well of course, and thanks for asking. I have tried several forks on the trail but settled on a long handled titanium one. Chopsticks were an option but basically redundant. Gotta save a few grams where ya can.

Being you're one of those weird hiker types always looking to cut weight, I'm thinking you got yerself a spork and just don't want to admit it. :D

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Being you're one of those weird hiker types always looking to cut weight, I'm thinking you got yerself a spork and just don't want to admit it. :D
Nah, been spork free since the late 80s. Left it in my fanny pack.

However, I am not opposed to modifying any metal bits in my kit to improve their function. Said ti fork had an unacceptable finish that needed polishing.