Quantcast

The Impossible build Need help. Mountain boy in a praire town

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
Yes its long, but i need the forums help,

With a new job comes new fiscal advances, thus it is time for another bike.
I’ve had to locate to the prairies for such job, which means no more sweet luscious DH riding for me on the regular basis. Instead I’m roughly a 6 hour drive from some decent trail riding. However since I still have that jumping playful itch, I will be spending whatever time possible further out west to ride the promise land. With that being said, I need this new bike to ride around here, yet be able to come with me and ride the British Columbia Interior as well when I’m out there (trails around here are without much elevation, more so roller coaster rides as in 50 feet up 50 feet down, single track kind of stuff, there are jump lines and built stunts and it is hard packed enough that there really isn’t a lot of pedaling required to go up, it’s more so a sort of long river valley pump track). So my question is what frames should I be looking at? Something that pumps and jumps hardpack trails well 80% of the time, but is capable to point its nose steep down a rock face when needed?

It will be a frame up build as I still have good contacts and thus good pricing, so the components won’t be in question, just need to know as to where the chassis should come from. I’m thinking something in the 5-6” travel range, 1.5 or tapered so I can throw an angleset in there, I like shorter rear ends but am not a stickler for bottom bracket height. Also I’m in that in between height range for most brands sizing, 5’9 and change and always feel like mediums are either too big and the small is too small or vice versa (Medium giant reign feels too long, seem to like santa cruz’s TT length to st height better).

Not a lot of brand loyalty but due to exclusive deals where I’ll be buying from, I have no access to santa cruz, norco, kona, trek, specialized, or cannondale. So now you see why it’s getting more difficult. I was thinking a regular giant reign frame might do the trick with a slightly burly build (fox 36, 50mm stem ect) or I have been looking at possibly the phoenix firebird, ibis mojo hd, knolly chilcotin or the new endorphin, banshee rune or any others that you guys think I should check out. Thinking for build regardless of the frame being completly air sprung, a dropper post, mixture of xt and xtr, 1x10 drive drain (which sucks for the giant since there are no iscg tabs) angleset and probably hopes on a stans flows. Light crankset since I’ve historically been easy on them, and a 180/160mm break set probably xtr trail.

My riding style is defiantly more of a line picker then a smasher and thrasher, I’m not hard on components and my weight is currently 165lbs, so I’m even considering taking some risks with lighter than usual components. Rode a Reign X0 all last season and that would defiantly be too much bike for what I need here, at least in its stock build set up.

So ridemonkey help me out. Recommendations for a frame and build that you think can do what I want it to do

Also for reference, i’ve owned a lot of bikes in the 4” and 7+” range, not a lot in the middle group, thus my need for help

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
Gt sanction.
6'
Great geo.
Fox 36 and rear air can. Stiffen it up for back home then soften it for your adventures.
Great bikes.
Great pedaling . Not bad with pumping. Can handle anything.

Or the ibis mojo hd . They are spiffy!

Gurney

Chimp
Jan 14, 2010
If you do not mind telling us, what city are you currently suffering in? I live in Saskatoon for 7yrs for very similar reasons.

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
I had an Intense Tracer 2 that was a lot of fun to ride on dh and all sorts of xc. Short stem, decent tires, Fox 36 Talas. If I had tried a chainguide on it I would probably still own it. Lots of fun on flowy trails and fairly capable on rocky dh even with the stock head angle.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I have a stump jumper evo and it's a sick bike, no doubt, and if you're set on a dually, I'd highly reccomend it. However, if all I was doing was flat xc that resembled a pump track, I'd go with a hardtail. Guys are shredding here in the PNW on single speed transams with 160mm forks.
I've Had a kona howler 4x bike, set up suuuuper stiff, the kona and the evo just can't compare to a hardtail when it comes to pumping IMO.

I know the idea is a bit radical, but it could free you up to go with any brand since they're so much cheaper...

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
If you do not mind telling us, what city are you currently suffering in? I live in Saskatoon for 7yrs for very similar reasons.
Also in saskatoon, i thought i was only going to be here for a few years but now a really good position is going to keep me here for at least another 2. Missing vancouver :(

The yeti SB66 look quite nice actually, 6" travel, light decent geo for what i'm looking for, would probably go with a small. has anyone got significant riding time on one? a friend of mine got one of the first runs of the alu version and i did take it down a trail, but i wasn't a fan of the bike in general more so to the build he was rocking and the sizing felt long, the small's geo looks for suitable for what i'm looking for.

also, the knolly chilcotin and endorphin are really looking nice to me, i have a friend here in town that has a new derillium and i really like the way the bike rides, so im hoping the smaller knolly's will feel the same suspenion wise, just smaller and lighter which is never a bad thing

I like the hardtail idea except for that i already have one with a 4" fork, don't really want to have 2 hard tails with the only difference being a couple inch's up front and some gearing.

Last edited:

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
get a bmx bike, build a pump track.
there is a bmx track here that i have taken my Dj bike to, there is also a skatepark and a dirt jump spot, but i still get that itch to just ride some sort of full suspension with a big smile. Bike currently in my quiver = ghetto frankenstein fixie, and a dobermann. Can't give up on a fully that easy, if so might as well turn in the full face for some spandex :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
there is a bmx track here that i have taken my Dj bike to, there is also a skatepark and a dirt jump spot, but i still get that itch to just ride some sort of full suspension with a big smile. Bike currently in my quiver = ghetto frankenstein fixie, and a dobermann. Can't give up on a fully that easy, if so might as well turn in the full face for some spandex :rofl:
you can have both.

viva le skinsuit!!

4130biker

May 24, 2007

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Pretty sure JonKranked uses an sx too.
I do in fact have an sx. it's slightly modified for more trail oriented use - the previous owner put a slightly longer i2i shock on it (only about 1/2"). I run it with a pikelation (revelation but w/ pike lowers to use 20mm axle, this was a revelation from before that axle configuration was offered). so it sits a little bit higher and gets a little more travel - a bit under 5"

kidwoo rides an sx as well.

Gurney

Chimp
Jan 14, 2010
Also in saskatoon, i thought i was only going to be here for a few years but now a really good position is going to keep me here for at least another 2. Missing vancouver :(
Before I left Saskatoon for Fairbanks, AK, myself and two others built a decent trail out at Blackstrap. If you are interested I can PM you directions. It is about 1 min of DH, but the best trail in the area, unless you head south to Buffalo Pound Provincial Park. For what it is worth, I used my 2011 Devinci Dixon while there and it is a very capable bike that like being pointed down the trail.

Enjoy S'Toon!

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
I do in fact have an sx. it's slightly modified for more trail oriented use - the previous owner put a slightly longer i2i shock on it (only about 1/2"). I run it with a pikelation (revelation but w/ pike lowers to use 20mm axle, this was a revelation from before that axle configuration was offered). so it sits a little bit higher and gets a little more travel - a bit under 5"
that sounds pretty much like what i think i want, the problem being is i like the sx trail, but specialized is one of the brands i cannot get, unless if i were to track down a nice used one i suppose. I thought about messing around with 4" frames and i2i lengths and stokes to get a little more travel out of them, as they would be awesome for the pump aspect and trails here, but a little limiting riding in places like kicking horse.

any recomendations for shorter travel bikes that we know can also facilitate such different uses of shock lengths?

Before I left Saskatoon for Fairbanks, AK, myself and two others built a decent trail out at Blackstrap. If you are interested I can PM you directions. It is about 1 min of DH, but the best trail in the area, unless you head south to Buffalo Pound Provincial Park. For what it is worth, I used my 2011 Devinci Dixon while there and it is a very capable bike that like being pointed down the trail. Enjoy S'Toon!
I actually try and get out to buffalo pound when i can, i don't mind riding there at all and its a nice break from some of the local stuff. A dixon is also a frame set i would be interested in, however i have no way of even testing one out as there isn't a local dealer anymore. Pm me directions to the black strap trail if you could, i appreciate it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that sounds pretty much like what i think i want, the problem being is i like the sx trail, but specialized is one of the brands i cannot get, unless if i were to track down a nice used one i suppose. I thought about messing around with 4" frames and i2i lengths and stokes to get a little more travel out of them, as they would be awesome for the pump aspect and trails here, but a little limiting riding in places like kicking horse.

any recomendations for shorter travel bikes that we know can also facilitate such different uses of shock lengths?
banshee spitfire? if i were looking new that would be on my short list.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
HA! Spitfire for real. Mine is in a box right now at home and I'm building it tonight YEAH

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
Zoro, let me know how the initial ride goes, with some pictures as well. I've seen/rode rampants, runes, and wildcards in person and liked them, but am unsure as to how much of a beating the spitfire can take? any updates you could provide me would be awesome

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Zoro, let me know how the initial ride goes, with some pictures as well. I've seen/rode rampants, runes, and wildcards in person and liked them, but am unsure as to how much of a beating the spitfire can take? any updates you could provide me would be awesome
HAB has one and he rides it pretty hard, but not hucking hard. He likes it an awful lot, hopefully he'll chime in to give some more details.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
GT Distortion? Seems to be getting a lot of love from everyone who's ridden one

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
HAB has one and he rides it pretty hard, but not hucking hard. He likes it an awful lot, hopefully he'll chime in to give some more details.
I'm mostly really really impressed with it. Like krankypants said I'm not hucking it but I've ridden it for a weekend or two at Plattekill when my DH bike was on the other side of the country, hammered it on the Canberra WC course without complaint, etc. It's light, it pedals well, and the geometry is awesome for a DHers trail bike. I do wish the suspension was a little more progressive but I've shimmed the air can on the RP23 a bit which helped a lot, and I'm keen to try a CCDB Air on it, though haven't got the funds for that at the moment. Biggest I've gone on it is about 6' to a good transition and it's been okay up to that but I wouldn't recommend it as a freeride bike. But as something that can be pedaled well but still descends well in the hands of a DH type it's great. Let me know if you've got more questions.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Spitty is the sh!t. I'm loving mine. Yesterday I switched the 75mm stem to a 50mm to try out. I have never ridden a bike quite like it before. You can change direction as quick as you can think about it. Simply unreal handling. Moar here

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
I have significant ride time experience on a 575 which makes me very interested in the SB-66. Tried a lot of bikes and I'm a DH'er true to heart but the 575 would have to be my favorite bike of all time, even with a sh*tty heavy build. The only complaint I had about it was it didn't feel like it would survive me (I only had it for about 6months before I moved on again to bigger bikes), but I heard the newer 575's have been beefed up significantly. I don't know about SB-66 durability but they look like winners. I'm certain the carbon one is the stiffer, stronger choice and the way to go but I'm not so sure how strong or stiff that weird main pivot is. No bad review so far AFAIK but what I'm saying is I LOVED the 575 and they seemed to have made the SB-66 to be a more gravity oriented 575 so I recommend that.

Damn I miss that bike!

*Edit: I have some riding experience on the spitty, borrowed one for a super D race once. They're good. Pedal well. Compared to the 575 I'd say it has better geometry but the suspension feels "dead". It has a little bit more of that VPP pedaling feeling to it that I can't say if I like. the 575 felt better in that department. It would bite into the ground but not bob. 575 also felt more active. Can't say which felt more durable.

As per sizing, medium banshee and small yeti will be good for you. I'm 5'7" and I found the small yeti to be a little tight but felt most excellent on the DH. Climbing with a long post made the cockpit bigger. The spitty medium was a tiny bit longer. But I think it had a longer stem too so I'd say about the same.

PS Edit* Had some time on an intense tracer too. Felt a steeper, deeper spitty. Problem is sizing. The small is tiny and the medium is huge. Might be a little better with an angleset as slackening the bike with the offset at the top will also shorten the reach.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Spitty is the sh!t. I'm loving mine. Yesterday I switched the 75mm stem to a 50mm to try out. I have never ridden a bike quite like it before. You can change direction as quick as you can think about it. Simply unreal handling. Moar here
I'm down to a 50mm stem on mine too. I'm about 6' tall with chimpanzee arms and ride a large. I'd been on a 70 which was working for me until I broke my collarbone last year. Took me a while to figure out was off with the setup but it had been bothering my shoulder since. Going to a shorter stem seems to have helped a lot. Still climbs fine.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
I'm mostly really really impressed with it. Like krankypants said I'm not hucking it but I've ridden it for a weekend or two at Plattekill when my DH bike was on the other side of the country, hammered it on the Canberra WC course without complaint, etc. It's light, it pedals well, and the geometry is awesome for a DHers trail bike. I do wish the suspension was a little more progressive but I've shimmed the air can on the RP23 a bit which helped a lot, and I'm keen to try a CCDB Air on it, though haven't got the funds for that at the moment. Biggest I've gone on it is about 6' to a good transition and it's been okay up to that but I wouldn't recommend it as a freeride bike. But as something that can be pedaled well but still descends well in the hands of a DH type it's great. Let me know if you've got more questions.
Really interested in this bike as do-it-all cheap-ish complement to a DH bike. I want a bike I can 4x, DJ, XC, pump track, do some urban FR, and ride around the neighborhood and to the grocery with. Does it fit the bill?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Really interested in this bike as do-it-all cheap-ish complement to a DH bike. I want a bike I can 4x, DJ, XC, pump track, do some urban FR, and ride around the neighborhood and to the grocery with. Does it fit the bill?
No. It's very not a DJ bike, and I really wouldn't want to do much freeride on it either. It's a trail bike with especially aggressive/ DH oriented geometry. I do think you're asking a whole lot for a bike to do all those things well, but this isn't the best compromise to cover all those bases. I think you'd be better off with an AM hardtail for all that.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Sorry, forgot about the brand access issue... hmmm. sounds like you have access to Pivot?
If you think an SX sounds up your alley, you could check these two out in brands that you can get:

Not sure if this guy is even available yet, but it sure looks sweet!

Banshee Rampant

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Hey will definitely update with pics and ride impressions. I built it last night. Everything went in smooth (thanks to my main man dump for the pressing the headset!). The raw finish looks ridiculously good. Will get it on a couple of trails I know really good later today and report back.

For the actual beating, it looks burly and well built. Reading threads about the spitty, people don't seem to be complaining about cracks and frame failures though there are some known bushing issues (the frame ships with extra bushings, spare hanger and seatpost/seat clamp).

To other spitty owners, what air pressure are you running in the fox rear shock vs your weight? I'm about 190 and really have no clue on what is not enough and what is too much. Been awhile since I've been on fully squish bike so guidelines are welcomed.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
To other spitty owners, what air pressure are you running in the fox rear shock vs your weight? I'm about 190 and really have no clue on what is not enough and what is too much. Been awhile since I've been on fully squish bike so guidelines are welcomed.
I'm 184 llbs. after a good dump and run 150psi in the rear. My target sag is 25%-30%, or 13.75mm-16.5mm of stroke. Anything more than that and the anti-squat becomes noticeable. I agree with Hab about it being less noticeable in the slack setting.

Congrats on the Spitty, let's see some pics.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Thanks for the pointers. Will try that. Actually, the bike felt really plush @ 150 so I tried 160. Better but a bit harsher.

Pics to come couple things to dial in first!

Oh, the bike knows of to corner, it really does!!!!!

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Sorry, forgot about the brand access issue... hmmm. sounds like you have access to Pivot?
If you think an SX sounds up your alley, you could check these two out in brands that you can get:

Not sure if this guy is even available yet, but it sure looks sweet!

Banshee Rampant
This is where I was heading with my comments... just wanted to read out the thread before leaving them. Hit your post. I was thinking that a 4x'ish bike would be great for the needs described. As long as enough post extension could be had for everyday pedaling.
The Xprezo Gamjam that I just sold in the S/M size (since the OP mentioned always being in-between sizes) would be perfect for this..... A little less travel than the 5-6" frame that I had prior to it, yet I never missed that extra travel once having the GJ..... 66 degr. HA on it as well....
So, yeah... an SX'ish type frame for sure.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
SO here is a pic from my newly built (size large) Spitfire. This thing is absolute madness. It's like a short travel 4x frame, but with a bit more squish, a slacker head angle and an seatube long enough so you can do some actual climbing. Like people would say on MTBR "it climbs like a goat and descends on rail dude!!".

Well it does climb, but coming from years of riding rowdy hardtails, you can most def feel the action of the suspension. Not that is a bad thing, but it's less snappy that the hardtail that's for sure and not as quick feeling when you go up. Easier for the ass when climbing seated though.

When the trails points down it's pure fun. It really rides like a "mini" "mini" dh bike. It's kinda long, pretty low and really slack. The grip you get in corners is insane. Settled with 160 in the RP23. Plush but still stiff. THe bike is predictable when jumping and fast in straight lines, it really is an ultra fun bike to rip down. I'll be racing a couple of enduros (and maybe some DS races also) races on it this summer so I'm looking forward to some racing action with this new sled. Dropper seat post might be needed for enduro action, but the included seatpost is a nice 2 bolt kalloy (stamped banshee). Can't complain. BTW, I'll be at the Trestle Enduro, so say hi if you see me!

I'll update when I get more time in the saddle, but all I can say for now is that you won't regret the banshee, although it might be a bit more maintenance intensive that other similar bikes. Bushing wear has been known to happen (they include a spare set with the frame), but they are easy to swap out and the axles are grease gun compatible.

Sucky pic (check out my Lopes Bling Bling tire! and sorry for the mismatching wheels; there is a weird play in my hadley front hub gotta solve the issue)

IMG_1764.jpg

Last edited:

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
I Managed to track down a local guy with a spitfire, so i'm going to meet up with him this week and take it out for a spin and see how that goes. I've narrowed down my options to 3 bikes the spitfire, yeti sb66, and a knolly endo/chili depending on what is available when i'm ready to buy. Decision will be dependent on how this test ride goes as well as what pricing looks like from all 3 options

Also, the 4x bike idea is fantasic but the overlap with my jump hardtail is still too close, i'd rather go something slightly more all mountain with slightly more travel, and from zoros quick review the spitfire sounds pretty awesome

Last edited:

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
My buddy has a spitty, he loves it also(looks just like Zoro's for what it's worth). But yeah, def. keep an eye out for bushing play, he's had his since last fall and the bushings need replacing, but he does do ALOT of riding on it. I was going to recommend a stumpy evo, but I see specialized isn't an option(I'm pretty sure 26er evo framesets are sold out for 2012 anyways).

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
how about Ibis Mojo HD? im only curious.

itd be nice to have a all mountainbike with single crown fork for my part too. When i get older, i might part with DH and play with mini DH instead :D Seems that Lopez uses Mojo HD at any discipline except Dh and xc..