Quantcast

The inevitable, unstoppable Morgan Wade

It almost makes me weep and my brain bleed.
I remember people coming off in here when Aaron did a handplant in the Disorder series with stupid assinine statements such as "Mountain bikers are catching up".. or even more idiotic "Mountain bikers are progessing farther now than bmx"...
Someone even had the audacity to suggest that Aaron invented the handplant.. to which I responded with numerous videos and photos of handplant variations....

Well I thought I had seen most of them....

And then along comes Wade...

Just watch.. it is sooooooo worth it. (right click and save.. trust me you want to keep this one)
http://www.localexposuretour.com/video/4.mov

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Ha ha yeah that's sick ain't it. It ran in Ride a few months ago and I freaked out when I saw it. Morgan is a freakin' hucker and he can throw some huge bangers, but IMO he doesn't have the style that Mike Aitken, Chris Doyle, or Gary Young have.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Damn, alot of those spots Cory hits are in the S1 video, but he takes it all to a whole new level! Craaazy. Gets freakin stupid rediculous towards the end.

Nov 29, 2005
there is a new video out , i cant remember what it is called, QBP sent one to the shop a little while ago. morgan tail whips to flat off of about a 15-20' wall....bmx'r s make everything mtn bikers do look small, stupid and without style.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I don't have time to watch the video, I would just like to remind everyone that EVERYONE has style.

style is like penmenship. some is elegant and pretty while some is nearly impossible to read.

I wish there was a massive rolling eyes smiley here.

Seriously lets stop with the comparisons and competition. The most dominant riders on the planet (with the exception of road racers) are BMXers.
They are faster,
They jump bigger,
They drop farther,
and they do better tricks.

Mountain biking is fun.

But more people more places got their start on 20 inch wheels and the exceptionally talented amongst them will likely stay on 20 inch wheels.

This does not make one sport better than the other, the numbers just work in the favour of bmx...

Ask yourself a few questions... first... what type of bike did you first ride?? (and I mean really the first one you rode... even those training wheel bikes were mini bmxs)

Second...... If you discovered at an early age that you had the ability/talent to do almost anything you wanted/desired with this particular peice of equipment... would you change equipment???

Most people changed equipment because they DID NOT have the ability/talent to do anything they wanted/desired with the current level of equipment.

People try all sorts of sports through their lives, and the ones that come the easiest they tend to stick with.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
shootr said:
the exceptionally talented amongst them will likely stay on 20 inch wheels.
I've been riding a bike since 1977 and started doing stunts on a bmx around 1982. I've seen nearly the entire evolution of bmx stunt riding.

I think mtn. bikers will take stunt riding to the next level. the bikes can ride way more terrain. it will take some time for mtn. bike riders to get it to the next level but I do believe it will happen. with the exception of flatland of course.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
shootr said:
Most people changed equipment because they DID NOT have the ability/talent to do anything they wanted/desired with the current level of equipment.

People try all sorts of sports through their lives, and the ones that come the easiest they tend to stick with.
I changed equipment because I quit racing bmx and then started riding mountain bikes in the woods years later. I had 26 inch stuff so that's what I started dirt jumping on again.

Your logic has a few holes in it I think. Until fairly recently mountain bikes themselves have been too flimsy with a bunch of lightweight aluminum and plastic crap to be pounding on them like a solid 20.......except for dh bikes which have very little comparison between terrain they're built for and what 20s are designed for.

Street/park/dj riding on 26s is light years behind 20s because no one was doing it back in the 80s when it started on 20s. So you therefore have a LOT more people with a bigger repertoire on 20s and a lot more guys at the top to learn from. I agree they are different tools though. If I started riding a lot more skateparks, I'd probably get a 20. The wheels follow transitions better and they're a hell of a lot more nimble. Hell, I can thow a tailwhip on 20 but catching a bigass mountain bike is a little different.

But to say 20s "go bigger, faster" etc. is a misnomer. They don't go bigger or faster down a rough trail or even down a staircase for that matter. Plus like I said, there are just more badasses on 20s because the genre has decades on the 26 world both in population and what a baseline "good" rider can do.

Yes, the top guys on 20s blow the top guys on 26" hardtails away in street/park/dj situations but that's their element. Throwing down tricks in the woods/mountains will always provide a mountain bike with the advantage......which is what is starting to happen. I personally think that's way cooler than trying to make a 26 do what's easier in a skatepark on a 20. Take it easy on the new guy.........it's learning......and the crossover into a realm that 20s have been killing it for years understandably puts it behind.:)

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Apples and Oranges IMO... I think 26" street will progress the same as 20" will, but they will always remain different unless the line is further blurred with 24" bikes with suspension, pegs and SS... I don't think you can pigeon hole one as more progressive than the other. Sure the 20" crew is "core" and doing tailwhips to manuals to barspins, etc, but all it takes is one of those guys to pick up a 26" because they can be a star when they would just be another sick 20" rider. Case in point Bearclaw and Paul B, etc. The list goes on. I think it is time to bring back the whole "2 wheels, one love" bs. Seriously a sick rider is a sick rider is a sick rider. Who cares what they are riding.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
sayndesyn said:
Seriously a sick rider is a sick rider is a sick rider. Who cares what they are riding.
exactly. not only that but if a person can do something on one bike, they more then likely could do it on some other bike.