Quantcast

The infamous...........

R

RideMonkey

reverse tow in!

Ever had a set of breaks that would scream like a rabid banshee regardless fo how much you towed them? Fact is that if you tow them too much, the brakes become spungy and lose a lot of power.

I had this problem today. I finally fixed it by simply towing the pads in the other direction. I am always surprised at how many mechanics have never tried this or who just can't believe that it can work.

It can!

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Brakes squeek becasue they hit the rim too flat and cause it to reverberate. To eliminate the goose honk, toe in your brakes.
Angle the pads of your brakes so that a smaller area contacts your rim. The key is to toe your pads in the same direction and the same amount on both sides to ensure consistent pad/rim wear. A good tip is to toe your pads vertically and horizontally. In other words, tip the brakes so they face slightly down and to the rear. After awhile, the pad will wear and cause a flat spot to develop. The squeeking will return. Now its time to "reverse toe" your brakes. Angle them again so that a smaller area contacts your rim. This will extend pad life too. For those out there concerned about this toe effect on braking power, I use XT brakes, which are self-centering and notoriously loud. I use this technique and have NO PROBLEM stopping. I ride hard and fast and put my brakes through hell. They always perform.:cool: