Quantcast

The Iron Horse Classic - Durango CO

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm thinking about doing it this year. The only question is time... takes ~12 hours drive roundtrip.

I think I read somewhere that's a one-way ride. I'd be disappointed if I couldn't ride down the mountain.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
LordOpie said:
I'm thinking about doing it this year. The only question is time... takes ~12 hours drive roundtrip.

I think I read somewhere that's a one-way ride. I'd be disappointed if I couldn't ride down the mountain.
its one hell of a one-way: you climb over a 11,000 plus foot pass (or two), and then drop like a rock into silverton (about 8,000 foot elevation) down a rather steep road. so, roadie downhill? yes.

durango is about 7,000 feet, silverton at close to 8,000 feet, two 11,000 foot passes? sounds like fun. or death

12 hours? you're closer than me! its about 15 hours from socal to durango, but the drive is worth it- thru flagstaff, az, across the reservation, thru 4 corners, and then into SW colorado. damn nice drive.

from the website:
BEAT THE TRAIN! Climb 5,500 feet and scale two 11,000 foot mountain passes on this 47 mile ride through Colorado's San Juan Mountain range. Plus, the road from Purgatory - Silverton will be "bikes only" from 8:15 a.m. - 12:30 p.m

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
slowSSer said:
its one hell of a one-way: you climb over a 11,000 plus foot pass (or two), and then drop like a rock into silverton (about 8,000 foot elevation) down a rather steep road. so, roadie downhill? yes.

durango is about 7,000 feet, silverton at close to 8,000 feet, two 11,000 foot passes? sounds like fun. or death
i'm a big pvssy and don't want to sound otherwise -- i haven't looked at the profile -- but it doesn't sound that bad.

slowSSer said:
... thru flagstaff, az, across the reservation, thru 4 corners, and then into SW colorado. damn nice drive.
Done that drive three times, it's awesome. Bring a woman and stay a day or two in Ouray... that place will make any chick drop her pants :evil:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
LordOpie said:
i'm a big pvssy and don't want to sound otherwise -- i haven't looked at the profile -- but it doesn't sound that bad.

Done that drive three times, it's awesome. Bring a woman and stay a day or two in Ouray... that place will make any chick drop her pants :evil:
I think my third kid may have been conceived in Ouray...... :think: :dancing:

-S.S.-