Quantcast

The joys of working for a multi-national conglomerate

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
WARNING - Cool-story-bro content.

Recently, one of the UK branches of our multi-national tree hired a guy with the same name as me. They are distantly related and doing a completely different type of business. Despite the fact his email address is at a completely different domain name, the prefix is the same as mine. Thus, when one of his coworkers types his name into the "to" section of an email, Outlook autofills the address from the global corporate address book, using my address. As such, I've been getting emails intended for him.

I've opted to reply with pancake-headed bunny pictures, requests for budget approval to fly me to London for meetings and holiday parties, and changing meeting times scheduled in Outlook.

Today, I got the following:
Adam,

The above is something that we had quoted on for 31/12, we also quoted very competitively and were the cheapest by far that the broker we saw it from received; from back from the market.

However as you can see from the trail of emails that unfortunately they did not pick this up, despite our quote as the existing market reduced their price to beat our competitive quote.

Blah blah blah (technical question) blah blah blah.

Sam
To which I replied, and CC'd the originally intended "Adam."
Sam,

I’m also confused by the fact that they did not pick up on our quote being the cheapest by far. Perhaps we need to use a bigger font, possibly with bold and underline, though I’m not sure italics would convey the message we are trying to send. It could be that you sent the quote to the wrong person, though one with a similar name.

Adam,

Perhaps you are better suited to answer the more technical aspects of this email, though I would like credit if the bigger font idea is used.
Fingers crossed for hilarity.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm in the same boat at my company. there's a guy in san diego whose last name is only one letter off from mine. i regularly get emails for him, despite emailing them numerous times. now i just trash them

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
how bout...

"you're welcome to ask for my input anytime.... if you do use the Bold Font/ Larger Font idea, I'd like to know if I was of any help."

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
The military has a similiar Outlook global email address book...in the past I have sent nonsensical emails to random AF members asking for various things. A bucket of propwash, 500 feet of flightline, a bucket of faloppian tubes etc. Making me wish I had saved some of the responses...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
The military has a similiar Outlook global email address book...in the past I have sent nonsensical emails to random AF members asking for various things. A bucket of propwash, 500 feet of flightline, a bucket of faloppian tubes etc. Making me wish I had saved some of the responses...
a jar of muzzleblast