Quantcast

The Jump (aka lil manimal wannabe)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
miles took the leap yesterday. fans of the amazing feats of noah (aka lil manimal) will be non-plussed, but it was a pretty big deal for miles to launch himself like this. he'd been riding over some impromptu ramps (basically a big piece of particle board, propped up on one end by two bricks) for a couple of days, but he wanted a bigger ramp.

so we laid the bricks tall side up, to give him some more vertical. still not satisfied, he wanted to ride down our front walkway, get speed, and launch off the ramp into the grass.

er, ok. is this my son?

w/o further ado, i present the maiden voyage:

the approach:

liftoff:

ready for landing:

do they make 5-10 shoes for his size?

abandon plan! abort mission!

it's going all pear-shaped:

waiting for the dust to settle:

to miles' credit, he got straight up and back on the bike, and did it a whole bunch more times...that was his only fall. in fact, he wanted me to move the ramp back a bit so he had a larger driveway gap to clear.

good times. otis was entertained.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
ah, the seated jump. you've bred a xc rider through and through! :D nice pics in any case.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The seat looks a little high.

Nice.... real nice. My 3yo daughter is working on riding withOUT training wheels. She is riding of curbs and suck with training wheels. I keep telling her it will be easier without the training wheels.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Nice idea for the soccer shin guards.

Liam has flats with pins and I worry every time he gets on the Kona that he's gonna rip some flesh open with them. Thankfully he wears skateboard shoes and they help his feet stick pretty well.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
nice!! :thumb: he'll be hooked now that he realizes crashing isn't always bad. good to see another youngin' steppin' it up :D

side tidbit: kids hockey pads work great for this application. they cover the knees, have good retention and they're cheap.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
The seat looks a little high.

Nice.... real nice. My 3yo daughter is working on riding withOUT training wheels. She is riding of curbs and suck with training wheels. I keep telling her it will be easier without the training wheels.
i lowered it a bit for today's session...we borrowed one of those black plastic 'x games' ramps from an older neighborhood kid. miles wasn't used to the curved kicker. :biggrin:

it's all good though; i'll toss up a couple of photos tomorrow.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
here was yesterday's efforts, using the black plastic skateboard ramp which we borrowed from a neighbor. miles was fine on the front wheel takeoff:

but getting the rear wheel kicked by the lip was a new experience:

:D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
haha...that's great! hope you don't mind if i caption this pic :D

"he decided that ramps weren't hardcore enough so he went ahead and learned how to ride nose manuals" ;)
:thumb: nice one! :biggrin:

SS, i did make it a point to stand on the ramps every so often and make sure they were stable. the ramp had it's own issues in that i needed to try to anchor it so it wouldn't slide on the asphalt (hence the bricks in front).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
:thumb: nice one! :biggrin:

SS, i did make it a point to stand on the ramps every so often and make sure they were stable. the ramp had it's own issues in that i needed to try to anchor it so it wouldn't slide on the asphalt (hence the bricks in front).
I set a particle board ramp up in the street when my boys were starting on the ramps and proceeded to break it riding on it myself. :o:

I now use scrap oak 1x6. :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
For the "pic of the year 2006" win, post a pic of you shredding that plastic ramp on your Orange :D
that's the wife's bike. although i did go off on it. :biggrin:

the wife did a snap of me hitting the wooden ramp w/ my DH bike.

and yesterday i was setting a bad example by dropping off the retaining wall to driveway (w/ no helmet) at miles' friend's house. :busted: