Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Ride 1 of 3 in 2020? :D Nice, where's dat?
Hey I might get 4 in this year.

it's in sudbury- I was shocked. There's a dumpy little trailhead nearby and I thought I'd check it out since it's within riding distance or a 5m drive. the trails were decidedly not clapped out and that photo is halfway up a very gnarly descent coming back down. I didn't even make it to the good parts which appear to be further up. I went the opposite way first which had some nice green flavor trails.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Antonov 124? Must be a conspiracy in the works...
Naw, it's not out of place to see it here. ANC is on the great circle route for lots and lots of places and we are one of the biggest cargo hubs in the world due to this. the 124 in particular doesn't have a lot of range when loaded up, but a lot of carriers like to load their planes heavy and then stop in ANC for fuel, so we see stuff from all over regularly. Now that the 225 is flying again, we'll likely see it at some point.

The 124 is probably loaded up with masks and PPE.

pizza diavola

Monkey
Dec 3, 2013
*sigh* its been six weeks since my last ride. I am so jealous of you guys still able to get out. Oh well, at least I can look at your awesome pictures.

pizza diavola

Monkey
Dec 3, 2013
Are you not able to get out at all right now?
I could but I shouldn't. All the decent trails are a 45 minute drive is any direction. From what I hear, parking/access is a problem and the ask is not to drive to the trails. And I don't trust myself not to get hurt. I understand other's decisions but for me and Mrs Diavola, I don't want to risk it. Maybe in a few more weeks I will give in.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I could but I shouldn't. All the decent trails are a 45 minute drive is any direction. From what I hear, parking/access is a problem and the ask is not to drive to the trails. And I don't trust myself not to get hurt. I understand other's decisions but for me and Mrs Diavola, I don't want to risk it. Maybe in a few more weeks I will give in.
Right on. Stay safe.
The best rides are all still all ahead of us.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Party sized snek

Rode 26" mountain bike and didn't die...who needs bleach in their lungs if you can survive such tribulations?

And who needs good shoes when you can Shoe Goo rectangular pieces of Crocs into a Greg Minnaar clip shoe? What a time to be alive.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
We wouldn't in such a mess if everybody acted like you. Kudos for that. Like @Nick said, the best rides are still ahead of us.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm probably turning into a trail snob, but this dude hit the trails just before us. Leaf blowing a few leaves and kicking up a dust storm. And don't get me wrong, I totally appreciate the maintenance efforts being expressed.

I guess it's a debatable subject, but I'm app for leaving the leaves down. It makes the trails feel natural, keeps you on your toes and helps to preserve the dirt on the trail.

Second picture is of what he was blowing. Now the trails will be wider, more prone to erosion etc etc.

Anyways! Weather was great and it was a great ride.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I'm probably turning into a trail snob, but this dude hit the trails just before us. Leaf blowing a few leaves and kicking up a dust storm. And don't get me wrong, I totally appreciate the maintenance efforts being expressed.

I guess it's a debatable subject, but I'm app for leaving the leaves down. It makes the trails feel natural, keeps you on your toes and helps to preserve the dirt on the trail.

Second picture is of what he was blowing. Now the trails will be wider, more prone to erosion etc etc.

#LeaveLeaves

We've gone thru the same experiments here and have concluded that whatever untrustworthiness leaves present in the Fall, it's more than offset when it pays huge dividends once it warms up and our friends in the microbiology world turn leaves into a fine layer of loam - perfect for dirt bukakke moments that we all appreciate.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

dude, that's one of the two TRIGGER ALERT issues here. Most Charlotte blow the leave and shut down for at least 24 hours after rain. That's why I dig where I do-we never blow the leaves and never close. :rockout:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
#LeaveLeaves

We've gone thru the same experiments here and have concluded that whatever untrustworthiness leaves present in the Fall, it's more than offset when it pays huge dividends once it warms up and our friends in the microbiology world turn leaves into a fine layer of loam - perfect for dirt bukakke moments that we all appreciate.
dude, that's one of the two TRIGGER ALERT issues here. Most Charlotte blow the leave and shut down for at least 24 hours after rain. That's why I dig where I do-we never blow the leaves and never close. :rockout:
JTFC, no.

Then again, we don't have leaves.
Leave the leaves alone.
:cupidarrow:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Leafblower, damn, that's a new one. I wouldn't want that in most places, but every year the leaves turn into muck in the low-spots and places that rut-out in early spring, might be nice to blow them all away in the fall before the snow hits.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Leafblower, damn, that's a new one. I wouldn't want that in most places, but every year the leaves turn into muck in the low-spots and places that rut-out in early spring, might be nice to blow them all away in the fall before the snow hits.
Here in the dirty South, where the soil is very clay-ish, I think it helps to leave them and mix the organic matter into the clay as they break down, improving the soil's overall composition over time. Local dirt roadies just want to see where they're going and are scared of aLl ThE sLiPpErY lEaVeS.
My favorite thing, though, is to go to the mountains, where no one does a lick of "trail work," in the late fall and do some hella leaf surfing over all the giant holes, ruts, ditches, and babyheads, pretending they're not there because I can't see them!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Here in the dirty South, where the soil is very clay-ish, I think it helps to leave them and mix the organic matter into the clay as they break down, improving the soil's overall composition over time. Local dirt roadies just want to see where they're going and are scared of aLl ThE sLiPpErY lEaVeS.
My favorite thing, though, is to go to the mountains, where no one does a lick of "trail work," in the late fall and do some hella leaf surfing over all the giant holes, ruts, ditches, and babyheads, pretending they're not there because I can't see them!
It's good for the trail to get blown off or raked every few years, but not seasonally. Berms tend to collect a lot of leaves that trap water in the low parts that never seem to fully dry. I used to take a Rogue Hoe, or an Appalachian Foot Rake to them at Thuper Awethum because I got tired of having to slow down or slide out. Scape that layer off and back to railing corners.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
It's good for the trail to get blown off or raked every few years, but not seasonally. Berms tend to collect a lot of leaves that trap water in the low parts that never seem to fully dry. I used to take a Rogue Hoe, or an Appalachian Foot Rake to them at Thuper Awethum because I got tired of having to slow down or slide out. Scape that layer off and back to railing corners.
well sure - maintenance and drains are important! but you wouldn't believe the level of bitching and moaning that goes on here over this shit.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
well sure - maintenance and drains are important! but you wouldn't believe the level of bitching and moaning that goes on here over this shit.
Exactement. We try to leave the leaves alone but in problem spots we have to keep the thread clean for drainage. We do it every fall BEFORE leaf season is over, so we keep about 25% of the leaves on the ground.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The problem is that people here blow or rake leaves in the fall and spring and do it enough that the trail becomes a gutter lined with leaves. They also tend to clear the trail twice as wide as the actual trail tread, which seems to lead to people hiking or riding as wide around stuff as they can.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
The problem is that people here blow or rake leaves in the fall and spring and do it enough that the trail becomes a gutter lined with leaves. They also tend to clear the trail twice as wide as the actual trail tread, which seems to lead to people hiking or riding as wide around stuff as they can.
Yeah, we had that in the past. Those people were "politely" informed not to do that.

There are a couple of people north of here who rake things 15' wide... :panic: I rake or leaf blow some of my stuff every two or three years; there are a couple of wet sections that get blown every spring so as not to remain swamp. There's no single solution, need to know the land and soils.

And I also like riding in leaves deep enough that the surface is not discernable.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
This bike kicks ass.
I still like mine too.

I broke a pivot bolt for the upper VPP link recently - shout out to Ian at SC for sending me a pair of new bolts at no charge. Other than that, it has been trouble free depite having been tossed and tumbled over lava rocks and cactii over the last 4.5 years.

Rides from this past weekend.

This kid used to build trails alongside us. When his ex-ex-GF left him, he got depressed and disappeared. I guess he got bored with Covid quarantine, he's back on his bike with vengeance and dad bod.
IMG_3627.JPG

IMG_3601.JPG

Attempting a small gap
IMG_2285.jpg

Just put a new vertically-compliant (ie, weight weenie) front wheel and a 175mm dropper on.
IMG_3638.JPG