Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Showing off that reptilian articulating suspension. No high centering for this guy/gal

This thing was bigger than a dinner plate, so I put on my "what would pinkshopphotos do" bracelet and took a nibble...will report results as they come in.

Found this 1959 vintage Coke bottle, and it was wild to see something so old, but yet still only a 1/3 of the age of @johnbryanpeters

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Excellent ride today.

An infestation of caterpillars has destroyed parts of the area though. There is very little tree canopy in some areas and it the forest looks like it has returned to early spring. If you stop and listen, it sounded like it was raining, but it was just the leaves and caterpillars falling from the trees. That can't be good?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Excellent ride today.

An infestation of caterpillars has destroyed parts of the area though. There is very little tree canopy in some areas and it the forest looks like it has returned to early spring. If you stop and listen, it sounded like it was raining, but it was just the leaves and caterpillars falling from the trees. That can't be good?
Do the authorities not issue warnings when this happens? Here in Europe these areas of forest get closed because it is said that the hairs of the caterpillars detach, become airborne and have the same effect as asbestos. I would avoid the area!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Do the authorities not issue warnings when this happens? Here in Europe these areas of forest get closed because it is said that the hairs of the caterpillars detach, become airborne and have the same effect as asbestos. I would avoid the area!
Dang. Never heard that! Have definitely been around these things many times. The rain sound is not unfamiliar.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
wtf.gif

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
If you zoom into the horizon above left of the big snow bank, that little black dot vanishing around the corner is my wife crushing us all to the top of the 4000ft climb on yesterday's ride.
20200627_110919.jpg

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
The moths pose an increasing nuisance to humans as their range is extended.[6] The backs of older caterpillars (3rd to 6th instars) are covered with up to 63,000 pointed defensive bristles,[citation needed] sized between 0.2 and 0.3 millimeters, which contain an urticating toxin, the protein thaumetopoein.[7] The setae break off readily, become airborne and can cause epidemic caterpillar dermatitis (lepidopterism), manifested as a papular rash, pruritus, conjunctivitis and, if inhaled, pharyngitis and respiratory distress, including asthma or even anaphylaxis.

The company I work for make vacuum systems for removal of the moths.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The moths pose an increasing nuisance to humans as their range is extended.[6] The backs of older caterpillars (3rd to 6th instars) are covered with up to 63,000 pointed defensive bristles,[citation needed] sized between 0.2 and 0.3 millimeters, which contain an urticating toxin, the protein thaumetopoein.[7] The setae break off readily, become airborne and can cause epidemic caterpillar dermatitis (lepidopterism), manifested as a papular rash, pruritus, conjunctivitis and, if inhaled, pharyngitis and respiratory distress, including asthma or even anaphylaxis.

The company I work for make vacuum systems for removal of the moths.
Is fire not an option? At least you don't have Cow Parsnip I guess...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Only thing that closes forests here are fires and I guess now pandemics.