Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Rode a new-to-me trail today. It branches off a heavily used route, but involves a big hike-a-bike to a pass to get into the valley where the trail goes through. Not many people ride it. Pretty awesome alpine riding though, sometimes the trail was 6" wide, sometimes a foot, rocks, some good tech descent sections, etc. Would hit again.

01d265bf110ee76188e4b608b8c97858ed05d6f596.jpg
01e6010a48779e8071a9b2b06bf806782d965df5d5.jpg
014adc723ec62ffc8175ab3b8add5d321c6af09096.jpg
016bb2f39804db194ecb15ff57704507450c12a306.jpg
0103cc34d808083aadc7b8efdf820a88cf3296d2cd.jpg
01713ea8b064e9ea943c0af2f099e5d6a5888d3f5f.jpg
0134166d00364a2ca58c144bf25b9583b9cfb0f0c2.jpg

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Have always longed to actually ride mountains in this mountain biking I’ve been doing for 30 years. Might have done so 2 or 3 times...
Some of you seem to do it in the regular.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Last day of riding in Quebec. :(

Decided for more Saint Anne. The trails here are so damn fast and gnarly. Fucking awesome. Just get that damn gondola fixed...

Went mach 11 down the lower part of Vietnam down. Awesome section of trail, but my brakes didnt want to slow me down fast enough. Derp.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Fight club today, 25 miles, 5200ft vert, most of it spent above 10k, a good chunk of it above 12k, out there for 6h50m. I may not move from the sofa again today.
20200815_105910_HDR.jpg

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
Hi folks, been a while. Dumping some biking photos from my recent vacation.

Thunder Mountain trail in Panguitch, UT. It's right next to Bryce Canyon National Park.
IMG_4287.jpg
Thunder mtn.jpg

Rode in North Powder (Baker City), OR with my buddy Beardo. At the top of Elkhorn Crest trail.
beardo.jpg

Camped on n the shore of Great Salt Lake one evening, and saw this little arch while riding around dirt roads.
IMG_4089.jpg

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
And some hiking (and kayaking) photos

Cosmic Ashtray near Grand Staircase Escalante in Utah. A bowl of white-ish lime stone about the size of a small amphitheater that somehow got filled with red sand. Not sure why but it's not listed as a part of the national monument. Pretty tough hike - I got lost and ended up wandering around the desert for 12 miles total. I don't recommend doing it in the middle of the summer like I did.
Cosmic Ashtray.JPG

Tule Valley Hardpan in Utah. The mountain peak in distance is Notch Peak, the second tallest cliff in 'murica. I guess you can hike up it, but I have acrophobia so I settled on drinking beer at the summit of the highest island on this dry lake.
Hardpan1.jpg

This boulder is located a mile above the old town site of Iosepa, UT, where OG LDS Hawaiians lived in the late 1800s to early 1900s. They left some petroglyphs on this rock.
IMG_4156-2.jpg
Petroglyph1.jpg
Petroglyph2.jpg

A screen shot of a video from when Beardo and I tried some white water kayaking in a rental tandem. He somehow managed to stay on it.
kayak.png

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Rode a new-to-me trail today. It branches off a heavily used route, but involves a big hike-a-bike to a pass to get into the valley where the trail goes through. Not many people ride it. Pretty awesome alpine riding though, sometimes the trail was 6" wide, sometimes a foot, rocks, some good tech descent sections, etc. Would hit again.

View attachment 148688View attachment 148689View attachment 148690View attachment 148691View attachment 148692View attachment 148693View attachment 148694
Chugash?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Jealous. I couldn't help but look up into the mountains as we drove by wishing I could spend a lifetime getting lost between the peaks.
Not as great as you'd think. Once the snow melts, it's just nasty mud, as it dries out, there's a short window where you can ride and it's not crazy overgrown. Right now, most of that stuff is like the jungle and you can't even see the trail on some of the routes. We don't have that many trails either, so it gets kind of old. That last ride was nice because I rode a new-to-me trail. There was about a 800' vert hike-a-bike up the side of the valley to get up on the trail, but it was worth it. Down lower though, same overgrown mess. There's a short window in the fall when the vegetation has frozen and fallen over, before it snows, that's also decent, but in general we need more trails badly. Just above the city we have a huge amount of state forest, but no trails that mtbs can ride. I'l getting pretty sick of fighting the undergrowth crap in the summer in the CNF and if you rub up against the cow parsnip in the sunlight, it can cause chemical burns that make poison oak look like a walk in the park. There are a couple really good rides...but they get old.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
IMG_20200820_174645.jpg

Fun fact. A glacial arm of the Puget lobe pushed up into this valley creating a ridge moraine that is the source of gravel in that mine. Alpine glaciers from the north and east fork of the snoqualmie pushed back from the other side.
IMG_20200820_170537.jpg

A bike was actually used for this one. Not as spicy as I would prefer, but still rehabing.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Got turned around on this last year due to water too deep/fast where the trail crosses a waterfall. Luckily the water was way down, but the morning dew got me totally soaked on the way up and it was getting cold. Once breaking out at the pass, temp shot up to around 80. I love riding in the alpine. I hate riding to the alpine.
01e1dc9d8ad938e84af1b7651e6d4581dd97ba8ba3.jpg
01e72596350c4db778a08e70f60fb8b89965627c54.jpg
01f0bf1c82986c88369f30b0ad8b40b27af1e0751cs.jpg
01692e1a8075a1999078c0f9ac50b806f3902d6893.jpg
011591d2585c7689ba47fc2bffb9e3d1ad44beb076.jpg

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Gorgeous shot!
Thanks man. I was actually surprised when I uploaded it to my 27" iMac as it was taken with the iPhone 11. Haven't been too impressed with apple cameras and hope to take a dedicated advanced point and shoot on my thru hike next year.

Been looking at this one:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Got turned around on this last year due to water too deep/fast where the trail crosses a waterfall. Luckily the water was way down, but the morning dew got me totally soaked on the way up and it was getting cold. Once breaking out at the pass, temp shot up to around 80. I love riding in the alpine. I hate riding to the alpine. View attachment 148933View attachment 148934View attachment 148935View attachment 148936View attachment 148937
A gear suggestion if I may. Since I started researching and testing gear for thru hiking I've found a few areas where mountain biking and hiking overlap. One of those is rain gear. There are ultralight rain jackets marketed only towards hikers that are very compact, taking up little space in your pack. Mine can be used both for hiking and riding. It's silly lite, small, but has no hand pockets or pit zips. I use it more for heat retention than rain. Works excellent for both hiking and riding.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
A gear suggestion if I may. Since I started researching and testing gear for thru hiking I've found a few areas where mountain biking and hiking overlap. One of those is rain gear. There are ultralight rain jackets marketed only towards hikers that are very compact, taking up little space in your pack. Mine can be used both for hiking and riding. It's silly lite, small, but has no hand pockets or pit zips. I use it more for heat retention than rain. Works excellent for both hiking and riding.

I'm way ahead of you. I do that kind of stuff all the time. Mainly, my fingers got cold, but that's cuz raynauds. I use chem-heaters for that and I bring extra gloves (since they get soaked on the way up). Close to the summit, I'll pop some of the foot-heaters and stuff them in the extra gloves. Then at the top, I have nice toasty warm dry gloves for my hands. I have a variety of packable jackets I take, depending on the situation. Since today's forecast was totally clear and warm, I took a lighter non-waterproof jacket. I use to have the helium pictured, but the zipper broke and there's no way to re-attach it due to how they designed it (you can't put a paperclip through it, etc.). I took it back to REI and got a patagonia instead, works better. I also wear claped out lake 302s so my feet stay pretty dry, although today I was stepping in the waterfall and got them a bit wet, was warmer by then. I like the lakes for DH stuff, since they are pretty flexible and not rigid like more winter type shoes. Also brought a base-layer type shirt which I switched out to at the summit, since my short sleeve jersey was soaked through.

It was pretty extreme though, going up it was in the shade, tons of dew everywhere, just getting completely soaked and air temp was in the 50s, not warm with the sun hidden. Then you break out at the summit, way above and BAM, the sun is just blasting at around 80 degrees. I put a light jacket on for the descent, but ended up taking it off after a mile. Just didn't need it. So radically different going down the same trail I had just gone up. Our sun angle does funny things. I was totally happy how I prepared and planned for this. Sometimes I just don't know what's going to happen, so I take everything under the sun. Sometimes it's just a calculated risk, when I know it's going to get warm later on.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I'm way ahead of you. I do that kind of stuff all the time. Mainly, my fingers got cold, but that's cuz raynauds. I use chem-heaters for that and I bring extra gloves (since they get soaked on the way up). Close to the summit, I'll pop some of the foot-heaters and stuff them in the extra gloves. Then at the top, I have nice toasty warm dry gloves for my hands. I have a variety of packable jackets I take, depending on the situation. Since today's forecast was totally clear and warm, I took a lighter non-waterproof jacket. I use to have the helium pictured, but the zipper broke and there's no way to re-attach it due to how they designed it (you can't put a paperclip through it, etc.). I took it back to REI and got a patagonia instead, works better. I also wear claped out lake 302s so my feet stay pretty dry, although today I was stepping in the waterfall and got them a bit wet, was warmer by then. I like the lakes for DH stuff, since they are pretty flexible and not rigid like more winter type shoes. Also brought a base-layer type shirt which I switched out to at the summit, since my short sleeve jersey was soaked through.

It was pretty extreme though, going up it was in the shade, tons of dew everywhere, just getting completely soaked and air temp was in the 50s, not warm with the sun hidden. Then you break out at the summit, way above and BAM, the sun is just blasting at around 80 degrees. I put a light jacket on for the descent, but ended up taking it off after a mile. Just didn't need it. So radically different going down the same trail I had just gone up. Our sun angle does funny things. I was totally happy how I prepared and planned for this. Sometimes I just don't know what's going to happen, so I take everything under the sun. Sometimes it's just a calculated risk, when I know it's going to get warm later on.
Had to look up raynauds, sounds fun. Both my hands and feet sweat a lot so sometimes I won't wear gloves on really long climbs so they stay dry or take an extra pair. Nothing like putting on a fresh pair of gloves at the top of a decent when the temps are cooler.

Last time I headed up to do a solo Pisgah epic I took my thru hiking water filter kit so I didn't have to haul 3 L of water on my back. Stopped by a creek got water and had lunch. I like doing all day solo rides in the mountains, but you gotta carry a lot of stuff if you want to be prepared.