Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
fantastic ride in fantastic conditions yesterday. Also got to ride with a friend for the first time in about 3 weeks, which was really nice. It was cold though, so we didn't stop to take pictures in any of the good spots.
1612193722517.png

should have done a pano!:
1612193751588.png

1612193841432.png

fatbikers share the trails with snowshoers. Sometimes the snowshoers make the trail too close to trees, and in this case, shrubs:
1612193917610.png

it was a seriously bluebird day out there:
1612193986354.png

the finish is in this valley, dipping in and out of these creek slopes. It's a lot of fun:
1612194063875.png

sun was getting low:
1612194095143.png

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
fatbikers share the trails with snowshoers. Sometimes the snowshoers make the trail too close to trees, and in this case, shrubs:
You should be thankful. Post holing hikers and especially runners think it's some sort of extreme competition to see how bad someone can post-hole a trail. When you suggest snow shoes to the hikers, they say "it was not bad", like in the same way someone tells you "it wasn't very muddy" and it's just a non-stop slop fest when you actually see for yourself. Post-holing several feet down and then we have to go out and repair the damage. Freaking oblivious.

You should be thankful. Post holing hikers and especially runners think it's some sort of extreme competition to see how bad someone can post-hole a trail. When you suggest snow shoes to the hikers, they say "it was not bad", like in the same way someone tells you "it wasn't very muddy" and it's just a non-stop slop fest when you actually see for yourself. Post-holing several feet down and then we have to go out and repair the damage. Freaking oblivious.
It seems that any community of users, including MTB, has a pretty substantial community of users who happily fuck things up, postholing, riding in mud, re-routing... Some are groms, some are blissfully ignorant, some are fuck.you.I'll.do.what.I.want.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Oh yeah, we're quite familiar with the post-holers 'round here too. part of the problem here is much of the trails the landowner allowed fatbikes on are very close to the urban centres. In fact, the park we go to is sort of a wedge that dives deep into the city. So there's lots of runners, dog walkers, and people with their kids. Which is fine, except when it's not.

The landowner has stepped up its communications a lot lately tying itself in pretzels trying to explain when the conditions are conducive to each activity. There's signs at trailheads, at major intersections on the trails, on their website, on social media, hell they've even tried going on the news! but try explaining to someone that walks in the park in their backyard every day with their dog that if they leave a footprint in the snow, they're ruining it for other users... the NIMBYism in these parts is... not particularly surprising :(.

This year in particular is pretty brutal with all the additional people enjoying the outdoors as a result of Covid. The landowner has sold almost 4x as many passes for xc skiing and snowshoeing as last year... its astounding. But so far the conditions have been great, and we haven't had to deal with this stuff too much. But winter is really only getting started so we'll see how long that lasts...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Oh yeah, we're quite familiar with the post-holers 'round here too. part of the problem here is much of the trails the landowner allowed fatbikes on are very close to the urban centres. In fact, the park we go to is sort of a wedge that dives deep into the city. So there's lots of runners, dog walkers, and people with their kids. Which is fine, except when it's not.

The landowner has stepped up its communications a lot lately tying itself in pretzels trying to explain when the conditions are conducive to each activity. There's signs at trailheads, at major intersections on the trails, on their website, on social media, hell they've even tried going on the news! but try explaining to someone that walks in the park in their backyard every day with their dog that if they leave a footprint in the snow, they're ruining it for other users... the NIMBYism in these parts is... not particularly surprising :(.

This year in particular is pretty brutal with all the additional people enjoying the outdoors as a result of Covid. The landowner has sold almost 4x as many passes for xc skiing and snowshoeing as last year... its astounding. But so far the conditions have been great, and we haven't had to deal with this stuff too much. But winter is really only getting started so we'll see how long that lasts...
Yeah, we don't have the signs and there's some sort of stigma that exists here against snowshoes, like in other places people wouldn't question strapping on some snow-shoes, but here they seem to "look down" on that for some crazy reason or are just so used to going out and stomping it to hell with no consideration for other users, like skiers, etc. I was working on a trail this winter literally the day after we put it in at night and when it was way too soft to ride, walk, etc. In fact, that night was when I connected the end of the trail to the "main" trail. Only a few hundred feet in, but some runners come up the trail while I'm working and it's like WTF? How do you not realize this is a soft trail and you are screwing it up? I didn't let them by, but they were apologetic and all. Still, this shouldn't need to have to be explained. If you are leaving tracks or it's a soft trail, run somewhere else for a day or two. There's literally dozens and dozens of miles of groomed trails (that those of us seeking singletrack generally don't ride, but they get lots of ski, walking, running and fatbike use, staying well and compacted).

But there's some sort of "you can just deal with it, you don't need snowshoes" attitude that seems fairly entrenched. Ultimately we get the trails in over time, but key to doing that IME is making them appealing to ride. If it's a post holed mess, it's not appealing to ride, so it tends to get more and more post holed, vs. if it's decent and gets some level-ish compaction. Skiers generally help a lot, but you need a couple days to let the snow settle sometimes and only after skiers, snow-shoe-ers and some fatbike traffic have been on the trail, then and only then is it going to support the foot-stompers.
PostholingQuarterlyWinter2020.jpg
90547267_10156929618197665_4680209730554036224_o.jpg

018d273b99cb747daf53c6edf9606fafa603b38f99_00001.jpg

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yeah, we don't have the signs and there's some sort of stigma that exists here against snowshoes, like in other places people wouldn't question strapping on some snow-shoes, but here they seem to "look down" on that for some crazy reason or are just so used to going out and stomping it to hell with no consideration for other users, like skiers, etc. I was working on a trail this winter literally the day after we put it in at night and when it was way too soft to ride, walk, etc. In fact, that night was when I connected the end of the trail to the "main" trail. Only a few hundred feet in, but some runners come up the trail while I'm working and it's like WTF? How do you not realize this is a soft trail and you are screwing it up? I didn't let them by, but they were apologetic and all. Still, this shouldn't need to have to be explained. If you are leaving tracks or it's a soft trail, run somewhere else for a day or two. There's literally dozens and dozens of miles of groomed trails (that those of us seeking singletrack generally don't ride, but they get lots of ski, walking, running and fatbike use, staying well and compacted).

But there's some sort of "you can just deal with it, you don't need snowshoes" attitude that seems fairly entrenched. Ultimately we get the trails in over time, but key to doing that IME is making them appealing to ride. If it's a post holed mess, it's not appealing to ride, so it tends to get more and more post holed, vs. if it's decent and gets some level-ish compaction. Skiers generally help a lot, but you need a couple days to let the snow settle sometimes and only after skiers, snow-shoe-ers and some fatbike traffic have been on the trail, then and only then is it going to support the foot-stompers. View attachment 156020View attachment 156021
View attachment 156022
Luckily I never lived in a place that got so much snow that this would be an issue. Mud and bikes and horses is another story though....

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
fucked off work this afternoon and went for a ride. same trails as Sunday with a different starting point. My buddy got better pictures than I did:
1612313574018.png

1612313873795.png

1612314077911.png

my pics:
1612314134479.png

1612314154718.png

1612314166736.png

1612314203725.png

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So many people riding at night, tonight. Including a group of people standing in a trail intersection, who just stood there like a deer caught in headlights as I weaved through them. At least the one guy said howdy back. :)

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Five miles or so of my local tracked. Some untouched, some with minimal shoe traffic, some post-holed to fucking hell.

IMG_2370.JPG
IMG_2373.JPG
IMG_2379.JPG

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Five miles or so of my local tracked. Some untouched, some with minimal shoe traffic, some post-holed to fucking hell.

View attachment 156157View attachment 156158View attachment 156159
I've decided when I'm working on a trail and a post-holing runner or hiker comes along, I'm just going to tell them "It's ok, just go around me, I'll fill it in". The satisfaction watching them sink up to their waist with no gaiters or proper gear will be well worth the effort.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I've decided when I'm working on a trail and a post-holing runner or hiker comes along, I'm just going to tell them "It's ok, just go around me, I'll fill it in". The satisfaction watching them sink up to their waist with no gaiters or proper gear will be well worth the effort.
Post-holes up to my shins in many spots. Going to need a lot of traffic to be in riding shape.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Race day. Got 4th. Great conditions this year.

Icy River Rampage, Eagle River Nature Center, AK.

It's almost always "soft", like real soft, but this year it was hard packed. Crystal clear and not -20F like years past.

D1AEA1F6-074A-4E22-9E5F-D81CC93B5B09.jpeg

Last edited:

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Most of us think we ride in winter. Then JM disabuses all of us of that sort of nonsense thinking.

My meager offerings.

Snowing as tires hit the ground. Near 3" fresh by the time I got back.

IMG_2393.JPG
IMG_2402.JPG
IMG_2416.JPG

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So is that max temp the highest the Garmin has recorded?
Because that surely wasn’t today?
The sensor is on my bike. Last night was -20, but I ended and saved that ride. This morning, at "camp", it was -31F, went to -34 a little after and was -30s for a few hours, before slowly climbing up, over 6 or so hours to low single digits.

Since the sensor is remote on my downtube...I have no idea what the fuck my bike is thinking. The temps are supposed to be min/max for the ride. Gotta be some kind of fluke.