Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Took the derp bike out onto the lake down the street for a super quick jaunt after work. Thought it would have been a little smoother after the warm weather, but it was a pick-a-rut-and-be-a-dick about it type of ride.

Should have stuck my red road light on the bike for riding at dusk. Them snowmobiles come up fast...

The amount of wacky tabacky smoke coming out of some of the fish huts though... :rofl:

My drawing skills need a little work.

@CBJ so many rhodo tunnels up there! it's awesome even in the winter because they stay green, but even better around may/june. here's from a hike a bit higher up last month:
Man that is what the top part of the Laurel Mountain climb and Pilot Rock looked like a few years ago. Guys at the Hub looked at us funny when we told them what trails we did that day. :rofl:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Took the derp bike out onto the lake down the street for a super quick jaunt after work. Thought it would have been a little smoother after the warm weather, but it was a pick-a-rut-and-be-a-dick about it type of ride.

Should have stuck my red road light on the bike for riding at dusk. Them snowmobiles come up fast...

The amount of wacky tabacky smoke coming out of some of the fish huts though... :rofl:

My drawing skills need a little work.

Man that is what the top part of the Laurel Mountain climb and Pilot Rock looked like a few years ago. Guys at the Hub looked at us funny when we told them what trails we did that day. :rofl:
you've actually been right there-it's the along the ridge before the last steep descent where your buddy went otb!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Ski on the mountain today. Lots of people out today, snow was slow, still fun though.

999101B9-6D13-480A-90B7-5049ACCDBA8A.jpeg
B51E9506-8B11-4770-9FB0-840D1A9F79F1.jpeg

is there any upgrade to the img processing to respect the orientation attributes @binary visions

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Slush on frozen lakes is :fie:.
And this slush has a thin frozen crust over it. So every once in a while I'd feel both tires suddenly squish through the frozen stuff.

There is over a foot of ice on this part of the lake, but that feeling of sinking down was a little too unnerving for me.

The non soft spots were like ice rinks. Not sure how I didn't fall without studs. :busted:

Edit - forgot I actually took a video. Turned around and went closer to shore after it got softer. Butt was getting a workout clenching.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Single digits freedum out above 10,000ft today with wifey. 2 1/2hrs was plenty, toes were getting chilly by the end.

20210228_151111.jpg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Does someone groom yours trails or is that just walkers and snowshoe traffic?
First time we'd ridden that particular area in the winter.

None of the places we ride in the winter are groomed, it's all snowshoe and XC ski traffic to pack it down after snowfall. Without going to a Nordic center up in the mountains the only place I know which grooms trails is near Leadville and eff dealing with the drive to get there in the winter at a weekend.

First time we'd ridden that particular area in the winter.

None of the places we ride in the winter are groomed, it's all snowshoe and XC ski traffic to pack it down after snowfall. Without going to a Nordic center up in the mountains the only place I know which grooms trails is near Leadville and eff dealing with the drive to get there in the winter at a weekend.
I tend to find groomed stuff to be boring after a while, analogous to machine built flow stuff.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Do you ever have a such a bad day, that eventually you just start laughing at what's going on?

Bad day at work, argument with the lady friend and then my rear hub broke* tonight. LMAO.

It was fun up until I had to walk out of there. :twitch::twitch:

*Hope hub. Pretty sure the axle that the freehub sits on snapped. Cassette feels wobbly and the pawls sound like a rattle can. Couldn't coast on the bike as the freehub would bind and try to jam up the chain.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Do you ever have a such a bad day, that eventually you just start laughing at what's going on?

Bad day at work, argument with the lady friend and then my rear hub broke* tonight. LMAO.

*Hope hub. Pretty sure the axle that the freehub sits on snapped. Cassette feels wobbly and the pawls sound like a rattle can. Couldn't coast on the bike as the freehub would bind and try to jam up the chain.
That sucks, I was going to ask was it a "cheap" Formula/OEM one. Post pics when you do the autopsy.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL

Broken hubs sucks. Seems only the DT350 doesn't suffer from fat overload.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I admit I'm always hesitant when I have to crank up something steep with the OEM/Formula hubs on my fatty. DT350 would likely be the direction I'd go in if I ever need to.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I admit I'm always hesitant when I have to crank up something steep with the OEM/Formula hubs on my fatty. DT350 would likely be the direction I'd go in if I ever need to.
That's when this one ate it tonight, I had to put some torque down and it made some awful noises. I thought it was the BB bearing giving up, but nope.

It actually started ticking last night, kind of like a brake rotor touching the pads ever so slightly. Started doing that after I cartwheeled down the trail with the bike - but I undid the quick release and reset it, seemed fine after that...

One downside of my bike is that the wheels are quick release. Maybe the width of the rear is too great and bends? But once the wheel is clamped into the dropouts, that shouldn't be much of an issue, no?

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
That's when this one ate it tonight, I had to put some torque down and it made some awful noises. I thought it was the BB bearing giving up, but nope.

It actually started ticking last night, kind of like a brake rotor touching the pads ever so slightly. Started doing that after I cartwheeled down the trail with the bike - but I undid the quick release and reset it, seemed fine after that...

One downside of my bike is that the wheels are quick release. Maybe the width of the rear is too great and bends? But once the wheel is clamped into the dropouts, that shouldn't be much of an issue, no?
Ahhhh!!! the famous 190QR hub killer. I went through 5 broken hubs in 7 years of owning my Borealis. Got two destroyed freehubs, two broken axels and one stripped drive ring. All under warranty but had to relace twice.
Are you riding a large frame? https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3001763/

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The hollow axle is completely unsupported in the centre. With a 12mm TA that's generally the same internal width of the axle isn't it? I think some older Hope axles had issues because the external machining design left too much of a stress riser, so they altered it to be a more gradual angle...

edit: I'm talking old Pro2, I would think the Pro4 is a better design, but the 190QR is just a poor idea.

Last edited: